Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: midi cable  (Read 1537 times)

mark

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
midi cable
« on: December 10, 2006, 03:39:42 pm »

Hi, My midi cable from my zen to the power/merge box  gets tangled around itself like a telephone cord.  any suggestions to solve this problem.  I went wireless but batteries die out to quickly. 
thanks
mark

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: midi cable
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 04:23:50 pm »

Loop it once around the strap first.

I get about 2.5 hours out of the wireless batteries, what are you getting?
Play nice.

brip

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:32:47 am »

I don't think there's an easy solution to this short of going wireless. I have the same problem and my solution (if you can call it that) is to power down, remove the cable, straighten it out, and hook back up again. I guess another solution would be to stand still and not move around  ;) ... I've also tried "balancing" my movements (e.g. follow a turn in one direction with a turn in the opposite direction) ... but I have trouble remembering to do that when I'm playing. I have two cables (a 45' and a 15'). In my experience, it takes longer before I have to straighten out the long cable (relative to the shorter one). I would categorize the whole issue as a minor annoyance. I've never been bothered enough by it to take the plunge and go wireless. Maybe someone makes a MIDI cable swivel adaptor (like for a phone cord) that could potentially alleviate the problem...but that would likely cause other problems. I've also never seen anything like that anywhere.
-Brian

apurnicus

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:55:07 pm »

I too dislike the MIDI cable coiling, but think about this for some perspective.

The problem that you are describing is called "super coiling" in molecular biology (and probably in other fields too).  DNA, which behaves very much like a coiled telephone wire and our MIDI cables, intentionally supercoils about itself many thousand times.  DNA packs and unpacks itself with the help of proteins that help it coil and uncoil.

Coiling allows it to pack a ton of genetic information into each of our cells (we are made up of trillions and trillions of cells).  Uncoiling allows it to make copies of itself.  If DNA did not do this, life as we know it would probably not exist, and thus we could not play our Zendrums. ;)

Since my DNA already does this, then it is good enough for Zendrumming.  I just unplug once in a while, uncoil, stretch, plug in, and play on. ;D

-apurnicus

mark

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:54:24 pm »

thanks everyone for your input on the midi cable.    Mr Geo I don't know the play life of my batteries? I use rayovac rechargeable nimh.  I was wondering if a rechargable lithium ion is available like the ones used in power tools, and if there any better.
thanks again
mark

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:15:17 am »

There are rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries but they are expensive.  In my wireless solution, I opted to go to Costco and buy a pack of 9 volt and AA batteries.  This way i don't have to worry about loss of power at a critical moment, and it takes only a moment to get up and running again.  And no additional chargers to carry around (my peeve about carrying more equipment can be found elsewhere on this site.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up