Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery 2  (Read 3092 times)

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Battery 2
« on: May 20, 2006, 04:06:45 AM »

just started working with Battery 2 on a Mac Mini so far it sounds good and is easy to use and change parameters anyon e else out there using it and if so what issues have you run into?
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

Tom Phils

Re: Battery 2
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:00:08 AM »

I've loved Battery since version 1.

IMHO, it works best as a individual sample player, not as a kit simulator. I've got fxpansion BFD for that. Unbeleivable quality and control.

Battery works best for me by adding special effects "on-demand" via use as a VST plug. Loads fast and lightweight.

My only complaint has been the mediocre support (maps) by third party libraries. There are a few good ones, like DFH.

It also works great as a RTAS plug.

Have Fun!

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:57:01 PM »

thanks Tom I use it about the same way and am getting pretty good results, doesn't seem to be very popular though at least not with Zen folks

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 01:54:19 PM »

I had Battery 1 and loved the way it sounds. I just couldn't get it to work without a half second of latency. I was using a top end MAc g4 so the hardware wasn't the issue. I was dissapointed.
Steve

ravenz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 11:03:52 PM »

Battery 2 latency does seem to be less of a problem for me on a more powerful Mac, but I can't go below 10ms latency on a USB MIDI adapter without audio problems.

10ms seems to be ok, unless I am doing something complex - lots of triggers going off at the same time, for instance.

I may go buy a copy of BFD and see if it's any better.

I am still trying to find my optimal setup - ideally, it would be Battery or BFD + Live - using Live to trigger loops and effects, and using Battery or BFD as a VST or AU to trigger a drum kit.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 12:58:20 AM »

Now That Ive had it for a while I find latency drops away to a acceptable range on Battery 2 with a new apple mini maxed on ram and especially with custom sets with a limited number of drums.  I load sets with what I need or want but not allot of extra drums and it seems to be working pretty well.  I'm playing with other software packages also with the same goals it sounds like your trying to get.  I just orderred a copy of BFD so that I can see which I prefer I'll update the post in a week or so after I've had a chance to compare the two.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 04:23:12 PM »

For those of you looking into BFD, check out the Jazz & Funk expansion pack.  I had the Zendrum in the back of my mind when I made it and it works great with the Zendrum.  You can hear audio examples at www.fxpansion.com.  Go to the Jazz & Funk audio demo page.  The demos that I did feature the Zendrum recorded live with no edits.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Tom Phils

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »

For those of you looking into BFD, check out the Jazz & Funk expansion pack.  I had the Zendrum in the back of my mind when I made it and it works great with the Zendrum.  You can hear audio examples at www.fxpansion.com.  Go to the Jazz & Funk audio demo page.  The demos that I did feature the Zendrum recorded live with no edits.

John

John, the BFD software and your playing are excellent.

Has there been any discussion of a marching persussion module? I'd love to put a kit of band drums on some tracks. Roto toms, big bass drums, fat/deep snares, etc.  :o :o :o

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:00 PM »

Hi Tom,

As a rule, sample companies try not to reveal what might or might not be planned for upcoming packs.  Sorry that I can't answer you question.  However, I am always looking into what the public wants.  I'll give pass suggestion some up the chain.

For now, Jazz and funk does have bass drums that go up to 32" and a really nice 15" Leedy snare that might give you what you are looking for.  You can also lower the pitch in BFD.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up