Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Share your Laptop Zendrum Layout!  (Read 4967 times)

duojet

Share your Laptop Zendrum Layout!
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:23:04 PM »

If anyone would be so kind as to share their zendrum layout it would be highly appreciated! I have attached an MS Word 2003 doc which is fairly easy to edit. I tried to convert it down to previous formats but the file ends up too large. Any comments on my layout would be highly appreciated too.

My Zendrum ships Monday or Tuesday and I'm PSYCHED!!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 05:24:34 PM by duojet »

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Share your Laptop Zendrum Layout!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:34:30 AM »

Duojet:

I just got my ZD two days ago, also a laptop model, and noticed your post.   I am still too new at this to comment on your layout, but the att'd design is what I came up with after a couple of iterations.  I created this arrangement for a particular TD-20 kit (copied from my original) called "Z-70s Funk."  I played for a few hours last night to my favorite funk band, "Tower of Power."   TOP uses lots of percussion in some tunes, which is why the bongos/congas are there.   So far, it appears that this layout will allow me (with tons of practice, of course) to emulate most, if not all, of what Garibaldi did on those early recordings.   

I'm still on a steep learning/experimental curve, so I'm not sure if I'll end up creating other layouts where certain triggers change or just keep this one for all my kits.   

Having a blast ... what a phenomenal instrument!    ;D

Ken

P.S.  I love your word doc schematic -- very easy to edit! 

Michael Render

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 10:45:28 AM »

This is it for now. It changes. My home position is rught thumb on kick and right index finger on Closed Hi-hat (CHH) My left hand over at the kick and snare.

duojet

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »

thanks guys. i have to wait till i get mine to see if my layout works well. i think i will need to have 2 pads each tom to do rolls on the small pads, but i'm not sure. looks like its easier on the large pads on the ZX.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 09:00:03 PM »

This is my standard layout, and has worked great for the last 4 years.

The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 09:02:36 AM »

thanks guys. i have to wait till i get mine to see if my layout works well. i think i will need to have 2 pads each tom to do rolls on the small pads, but i'm not sure. looks like its easier on the large pads on the ZX.

Doujet:

Couple of thoughts...

1)  It will be interesting to see if you still like having the snare in between the OpenHH and Closed HH on the left edge of the ZD.   I tried it yesterday for a spell, but when I wanted to play Open-Closed quickly, I found it uncomfortable to spread my digits across three buttons (unless I brought the left thumb into the equation-awkward).   I went back to:  OpenHH - ClosedHH - Snare; played by sliding the index and middle fingers up/down, as needed, occasionally ring finger on the snare.  I like having the snare (outside edge) next to the tom bank because I often end up playing the toms immediately after a snare hit. 

2)  Unless you have extremely large fingers, you can absolutely do finger rolls on the smaller buttons, so you may find it unnecessary to duplicate the toms around the ZD.  Even after a couple of days, I am finding that the biggest advantage in duplicating triggers is not so much for rolls, but to enable multiple combinations of sounds with either hand.  For example, if I want to hit Crashx-Kick at the same time, it helps to have several ways to involve the hands to accomplish it.   Also, duplicating certain heavily used triggers (kick, snare, hats, ride) enables ambidexterity (e.g. left or right lead). 

3)  I don't have any tom rims programmed.  My V-Drum module is a TD-20, but my kit was upgraded from a V-Stage, so my toms are single trigger PD-80's.  I haven't missed the rim sound on my V-Drums or the ZD.  You can experiment both ways and see if you really need/want those extra triggers.  If you sacrifice some/all tom rims, you could add a bunch of percussion sounds or other patches.

I made a few more adjustments to the design (see att'd) after another day of playing/practicing.  Obviously, I am still experimenting with trigger placement to achieve optimum efficiency of movement (for me).  I have started woodshedding with drumset 101 materials (e.g. Chaffee, Chapin) because learning to play patterns on the ZD, with more than two digits at a time, uses entirely different brain synapses.  Fortunately, progress is coming pretty rapidly...  I haven't even started to play jazz patterns yet, which is on the exercise program for today.  Maybe I'll change the layout again once I try playing along to my favorite Big Band jazz recordings.   I guess that's why there are 16 presets in the ZD!   ;)

Ken

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »

Has this thread petered out...? 

I changed maps for the third time.  I am finding that I need 4 Snare triggers (2 reg and 2 rimshot) accessible to both right and left hand fingers.  I also noticed that it was too difficult getting to the Toms when they were down along the bottom edge, so I moved them up to the main surface.  I then put the the Bongos and Congas together vs. separating them.  This layout seems to be working more efficiently, but time will tell...  I have the opportunity to take a private lesson with ZD Master John Emrich on January 12th.  After that session, I may end up changing everything yet again... 

Ken Bour

duojet

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:00:23 PM »

Has this thread petered out...? 

I changed maps for the third time.  I am finding that I need 4 Snare triggers (2 reg and 2 rimshot) accessible to both right and left hand fingers.  I also noticed that it was too difficult getting to the Toms when they were down along the bottom edge, so I moved them up to the main surface.  I then put the the Bongos and Congas together vs. separating them.  This layout seems to be working more efficiently, but time will tell...  I have the opportunity to take a private lesson with ZD Master John Emrich on January 12th.  After that session, I may end up changing everything yet again... 

Ken Bour

just got my zendrum thursday, i'm still working on my layout. it is nothing like the one i was planning before i got it.

kbour

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 05:51:25 PM »

Very cool!  You must be thrilled...

I played mine about 8 hours yesterday and 6 more today.  I can't get enough of it although I have a few sore muscles, esp. my right forearm which does most of the work.   

I made one more small change to the layout.  Actually, I created two maps using positions #1 and #2.   For rock music, I like to have the SN-Rimshot on the inside (used more often); but for jazz, I swapped them so that SN-Rimshot is like the picture (outside).   

Please post your layout(s) as you start becoming familiar with the ZD.  I enjoy seeing how other laptop owners have their units programmed.   

Ken

duojet

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:53:24 PM »

well here is my layout so far. this is working out reallly great for me for standard rock, and i'm working through the chapin book with it and its also working for that. very good flow playing both. it also allows me a variety of ride/HH/ride bell/closed pedal on any one handed groove, i just change the position of my hand. the pad labeled HH is a HH variable from closed to 4 levels of open using a controller pedal (CC4).

this link to the image shows it more clearly

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/8691/zendrumlayoutkf2.jpg

« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:17:28 PM by duojet »

music4dw

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 06:52:39 PM »

So here's my first crack at it.  I started by just pretending to play the zendrum to see where my fingers naturally went and started from there.  Interestingly enough, I wear it backwards from everyone I've seen.  I strap it through my left shoulder with my left hand on the face of the instrument.  I haven't assigned some pads and others will probably change soon.  I've found that the more I play, the more I figure out what works or not.  I'm also going to try some layouts the other way.  It seems that changing pad assignments isn't too traumatic  ;D

total noobie

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 04:14:17 PM »

I wanted to thank those of you who have shared your layouts here as well as some of the videos and websites I have found.  Although I haven't found any that seem to work perfeclty for me, they have given me a good starting point to experiment with.  It has really helped since I have no percussion background.

TN

J.Ho

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 06:08:07 PM »

Here's mine.  I'm a keyboard player by trade.. this works for me.  With my thumbs, pointer and middle finger of either hand I can play a basic groove.  This also allows me to do nice tom fills and add in snare "ghost" notes with the snare roll.    Since everything is so close on the laptop I don't mind having the crash cymbals across the top.   I can easily do open HH with my right palm and closed with my left.    I do it differently on my ZX, but on the laptop this works well for me.

ghostman74

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 08:43:37 PM »

Just giving back. I uploaded my template for mapping out a ZX to my website. It can be found here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up