Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My impression of BFD  (Read 1360 times)

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
My impression of BFD
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:16:36 PM »

OK, I got Bfd as a gift, and have been playing around with it.  I'm running it off a 2nd hard drive through my macbook with 2 gigs of ram. I can't justify the cash outlay of a muse, and I can run Ableton Live at the same time with my mac.  After a year of playing through a td-8, the only thing I can say about BFD is that is is totally freaking amazing.  I sound like the drummer I always wanted to be.  The level of expressiveness blows me away, I particularly like the snare drums.  With the rim feature enabled on my second snare trigger, it really gives it that feeling of being live and upfront.   The cymbals actually sound like cymbals. Real ones, not the cheese I took for granted in the Roland.  Because it sounds so great, I am discovering new layouts, and am practicing a lot more,  it is so fun.  I have fallen in love with my zendrum all over again, which is good because I am starting another band.

It seems to be running fine on my core duo macbook.  I have 16 bit mode turned on for the heck of it, and have done the other CPU and ram saving tweaks that bfd suggests.  I am not putting a load on the computer at all...sometimes the ram use will creep up if I am wailing or changing many sounds rapidly.  It will get buggy if I take my hands and hit everything at once, but that is understandable, since it streams directly from disk. BFD does not recommend chaining a firewire interface (I have a Motu ultralite) and the extra hard drive, but I only have one firewire port so there is no way around this that I know of.  At first the idea of gigging with a laptop didn't appeal to me, but the mac is so stable, I don't worry about it now.  i don't know all the ins and outs of the program yet, but assigning midi triggers is a simple no brainer operation.  My only initial beef is that sometimes the different windows are hard to see because they are so light in color, it would be nice to have more separation.  Not a big deal.

Highly recommended.

Raven
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:30:07 PM by Zenfem#9 »
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Michael Render

Re: My impression of BFD
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:45:51 PM »

Thanks for the review. My copy doesn't get here till Monday and I am compin' at the bit. I have a TD-20 and a Receptor so I will be interested in seeing how they stack up.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: My impression of BFD
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 10:34:46 AM »

Michael,

Please do post your thoughts on it compared to the td-20.  I've never had access to a td-20, so I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: [1]   Go Up