Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Technology  (Read 840 times)

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
New Technology
« on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »

Hey Zendrummers of the world. It was brought to my attention that Apple has come out with a new Macbook that has the I-5 processing. You also have the option to get a solid state hard drive. (No moving parts there, Inspector 109) It still has 4 gig of RAM, but the I-5, it should help with speed and potential latency issues. I was wondering if anyone has this and used it. Post some reviews and tell us what software you are using with it. My initial impressions are that this may be the ultimate machine to conquer all of the software issues people are dealing with, provided that the software compatability issues are not there. The pricing is around the same price as the older model that they just upgraded from. Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: New Technology
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

Avast THar Mateys,

Not only do they have an I-5 CPU, some models can be had with an I-7 cpu.  Just thought you might like to know.  Aye am running an I-5 on an HP laptop, but due to Windows 7, Aye had latency issues until I acquired a Presonus Audiobox USB.  Aye still have some tweaking to do, but it runs better than before.  Arrgghhhh!!!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

camcojunky

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »

I have been watching this topic with great interest, and have been actually holding off the purchase of a laptop until the new i-series chips were released. I actually did purchase another MacBook Pro on EPrey a while ago and it turned out to be a scam; since I paid with paypal, I eventually got the money back but the upside is that now these new Intel chips are out, and have multi-thread capability that allows them (as I understand it) to respond to sudden bursts of intensive process requirement by shifting into overdrive. Beyond the i5 and i7 chips, there is a faster one originally called the i9, but Intel for some reason changed the name to the i7 680X (Extreme).

The bummer is that the new USB 3.0 is not yet available on the MBP's; Intel has stated that their chips will not support the new USB 3.0 (which has been clocked at 8 to 10 times the transfer rate of USB 2.0 !!!)  until 2011. I can't wait, so I will have to jump in now and get what is available. I just picked up a MOTU 828 interface today, and I figure with a multi-thread MBP and a couple of SSDs I "should" be good to go...
Wait; then there's software....

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »

The combination of a MacBook Pro and an 828 has been working really well for me for a couple of years now. 

My MacBook Pro has a Core 2 Duo processor running at 2.4 GHz - this is definitely not state of the art anymore - with 4 GB RAM.   I gotta say there has not been any situation in which I felt my processor held me back.  I tried a slow external USB drive and had audio drop outs  (it may not even have been USB 2) but I've been very pleased with external FW drives (currently using a Glyph).   I used a Receptor with BFD 1.5 and Battery 3 for a while - but ultimately changed over to a laptop based setup with the Mac, and haven't looked back.  I've drooled over the newer aluminum unibody Macs - I got one for my wife - but my aging Mac has not let me down yet.   We can always get more powerful stuff for cheaper if we wait.  But there's a lot of fun to be had with what's out there now....

You will love the 828 - it is wonderful gear.  Mine's a mkII - the newer model has effects, and I'm told they sound good though I haven't tried 'em out myself.

M

camcojunky

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

Timecutter,

Yeah, I am looking forward to the 828 showing up next week. Mine is the Mk 2 also; I choose this over the Mk3 because I am looking at getting the Black Lion audio and time clock upgrade, and the engineer at BLA said they could only mod the Mk2's because of internal space; Mk 3's are too crowded internally. He said that with the upgrade the Mk 2s can achieve specs rivaling a RME Hammerfall unit at about half the price.

The lack of effects in the 828 is not an issue for me, as I prefer to add those later in the chain when recording or processing my drums live.

Michael

timecutter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »

Sounds cool.  Let us all know how it all works out.   

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up