Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backline worries: it's gettin' in my way!  (Read 1736 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Backline worries: it's gettin' in my way!
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:44 PM »

Greetings all. I've run into a gigging irony and I wanted input from the panel, if I could.

The last few gigs I've played, the venue had a backline kit set up before we got there, most often the house kit minus cymbals and snare. Now, were I an acoustic drummer I would say "this is wonderful". But right now I'm saying, "this is inconvenient". It's taking up a lot of real estate on the stage, I can't move it because it's the house kit, and I can't even get any function off it because, well... I don't need it for anything!

I really don't relish the idea of standing behind the backline kit; that seems to me to defeat the purpose of having the Zendrum in the first place. I guess I could ask if we could move the backline kit but I get the feeling very few venues would be inclined to do that, and on a multi-band bill that doesn't seem fair to the next drummer up.

So, what does one do when something intended to be a favor turns out to be an obstacle? Input is appreciated.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Backline worries: it's gettin' in my way!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 08:42:31 PM »

Yeah, I run into that...

A big black bedsheet.  That's how ya hide the behemoth!

Jer

Anthstep

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:07 AM »

Agree there are not many cool options... the black sheet over the top sounds like a great idea.  Keep you out of trouble with the club and with the next drummer...  Best of luck.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:38:44 AM »

I would say use the sheet or something to cover it up as well.  When I would play venues with multiple bands, we were usually the headliner for the night, and I would cover my kit with 2 black king size sheets.  By doing that, it would one, not distract the other bands appearance with my kit in the background, and second, keep the temptation from others to mess with my kit.

When I play out with my Zen, I don't stand on the backline where the drummer traditionally is.  One band had me do that it just didn't look right.  I make it a point to be right up front between the guitar and bass player, being that I sing lead and background vocals also justifies why I should be up with everyone else.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »

When I play out with my Zen, I don't stand on the backline where the drummer traditionally is.  One band had me do that it just didn't look right.  I make it a point to be right up front between the guitar and bass player, being that I sing lead and background vocals also justifies why I should be up with everyone else.

Rob

Ditto.  Singing from Zendrum is so much better for audience connection than from behind a mountain of drums (seated no less!).  And rather than centered, I prefer to be on stage left... in fact, I sometimes set up my acoustic drums there now, having gotten so comfortable with that setup on Zendrum!

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »

I just started playing with a local church and they do the V shape.  Drums in the middle all the way in the back, keys and guitar across from each other but up from the drums, then acoustic and bass all the way up across from each other.  They are used to a regular drummer with the Plexiglas around the kit for sound control.  My first service is this Sunday and they are not sure how to setup.  They emailed me and they are still going with the V shape with me in the middle all the way in the back.  I won't be singing so to me it is no big deal.  I have setup on the side with my kit before and it works OK, especially if you are running through the PA and everything is mic'd up.  If I am only running a kick and snare mic, I prefer to be in the middle so that the toms and cymbals disperse evenly across the room instead of just the one side.  Just my preference I guess.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up