Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: INSPECTOR 109: Tell us about DM-10!  (Read 7222 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
INSPECTOR 109: Tell us about DM-10!
« on: April 13, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »

Yo 109,

You have been using the DM-10, right?  Tell us how it is; shall I get one as my "too-lazy-to-bring-the-MacBook" module, or for a "people-here-get-too-drunk-to-trust-near-a-MacBook" module?

Or maybe a "I-plan-on-getting-too-drunk-to-run-my-MacBook" module?  (Just kidding on that one.)

Thanks!

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: INSPECTOR 109: Tell us about DM-10!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 05:28:48 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys:

Aye have ordered a new Alesis DM-10 Studio e-Drum Kit.  As soon as Aye set it up and play it a few times, Aye promise to provide me own review.  Arrrggghhhhh!!!!  Aye just received a phone call informaing me that Alesis has this kit on back order and don't expect to ship until the 2nd or 3rd week of MAY.  Arrrgghhh!!!!!   Shiver me timbers!!!!  What's an Olde Salt to do.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:37:42 AM by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

I've had my DM10 for a few months now.

Its wonderful.  Sure, it has quirks, but overall it is a surprisingly good piece of gear.

The quirks:
The MIDI numbers for some of the latin percussion are not the same as the DMPro.  Why change?  I dunno
It seems to not be able to remember a specific setting on shutoff (the second MIDI channel that it accepts melodic info on)
The Melodic sounds are NOT chromatic.  This to me is a big WTF.

But the sounds are excellent.  Ease of editing is very good.  Very versatile.
Play nice.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

Zendrumdude - you posted but I was in admin mode and accidentally toated your post.

Sorry.

You were asking about the whole "non-chromatic" thing.

I just don't know what possesed them.

Some scales have only 6 notes.  Sometimes C# on a keyboard plays a note that isn't quite a C#.

Its like they were limited to memory constraints and rather than make fewer sounds, they made fewer tones of the sounds.  I really have no explanation to the weird.  Blocks of scales, but very limited, like 1 octave on some.  What the heck?
Play nice.

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:53 PM »

Ok yall,  I finally got the Addictive drums program up and running and I will tell you that it is very sweet. It is fast and does not take up a much energy to make it work. The sounds are stacked nicely from soft hits to hard hits.  There are nice tutorials on the website for those who want to see the way it works and a 47 page downloadable owners manual. Not bad. There are some really good preset kits and they load fast while on the fly. Some of the preset kits have some effect kits that sound like something you would hear on a Peter Gabriel album. Pretty cool. I am interested to hear from some of you who have it and find out how you like it. At some point, I will have BFD2 and all the add on packs but I thought this was a good start.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 08:53:46 AM »

Just a rant here...

I ordered a DM-10 from a local store a month ago or more.  2 weeks ago I went in to check the status, and after much confusion, it turns out that, even though I ordered it through the owner of the store himself, the order was never actually placed.  He said he'd order it right away, prob. less than a week to deliver.  So then yesterday a drum part I had ordered came in at the store; when I picked it up I asked again about the DM-10.  He says, "Do you know how much that thing COSTS?!?! I told them to hold off on the order until I cleared it with you!"  I was PISSED. >:(  So now he's saying Monday for sure.  If so, I will post a review shortly.  If not, you're going to be reading about me in the news... ;) >:(

Jer
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:36:37 PM by zendrumdude »

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »

It think that Dr. Shark and the Inspector 109 have toyed around with the Alesis  DM-10. Has anyone else?  Please post some of your observations so the rest of use can wish for something else to buy.  Hey Jer I just went and bought a QSC Sub with the 2 12's in it to use with my Bose for a little more thump It only weighs 74 lbs. . All I can say is WOW!  I also hooked it up to one of  Mackie 350's and it sounded really good with it also.  You should check it out.  Thumper
Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:41 PM »

Thumper,

(LOL... in this thread, you sure are livin' up to your name!)

Is it the KSub?  That thing looks SWEET man, I wish I could afford one!  At 1000w, I don't even think I'd WANT 2 of 'em.  I have owned QSC units; they are superb.  Maybe I will sell all 4 of my Bose B1 subs to fund it...

(WHY don't they make a smiley emoticon with "evil grin rubbing hands together" for moments like this?!?!?)

Jer

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:21 PM »

Thumper,

(LOL... in this thread, you sure are livin' up to your name!)

Is it the KSub?  That thing looks SWEET man, I wish I could afford one!  At 1000w, I don't even think I'd WANT 2 of 'em.  I have owned QSC units; they are superb.  Maybe I will sell all 4 of my Bose B1 subs to fund it...

(WHY don't they make a smiley emoticon with "evil grin rubbing hands together" for moments like this?!?!?)

Jer
Yes Jer it is the KSub.  I used it with 2 of the Bose Subs so I would get that eq. It really kicks!  I am playing my TD-20 still and even though I own BFD2 I have not played with it that much as it is a little intimidating to me. One of these days I will woodshed it and join the software Zenners. I just don't feel comfortable bringing my laptop to a gig as I am not as familiar with that setup if it messed up as I am with my TD-20. Pyrate,  how are you coming with it?  I vote for an evil smiley icon with hands rubbing together also. Geo? Good night y'all Thumper
Thumper

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »

You guys are weird.

Rubbing hands ends up being too big an icon.  You get this one:

>-D
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:54:23 AM »

I used it with 2 of the Bose Subs so I would get that eq.

Thumper,

Let me see if I understood that:

You used the L1 with 2 B1s, AND the KSUB, in order to "trick" the L1 into employing its own optimized EQ/crossover settings for use with the B1s.  Is that right?

What would it have sounded like to go out of the L1's bass output, without the B1s at all?  That dedicated sub output would be so slick for this setup.  I suppose that EQ setting is not in effect in this case, but that setting is optimized for the B1 and may not be as effective with subs of other types.

One thing that bummed me out on the KSUB was its lack of a crossedover (is that a word? LOL) output.  Many powered subs have full range in, and then an internal crossover, and a choice of full-range or crossedover  ;) outs.  I wish this one had that... and I REALLY wish sub makers would start adding a crossover frequency control.  Lots of them cross over pretty high, like 120hz or even 150. 

Tell on... let me know how you hooked up, how it sounded, etc.  And, do you plan on using the B1s AND the KSUB, or will the K replace the Bose lunchbox subs?

*Million dollar idea: I'm gonna find a blown B1 on eBay and turn it into a lunchbox!   >-D (<- thanks Geo)

Jer

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »

You used the L1 with 2 B1s, AND the KSUB, in order to "trick" the L1 into employing its own optimized EQ/crossover settings for use with the B1s.  Is that right?  This is correct!

I will try the KSub without any B1 soon and will report back to you. I have the Model II and I took the bass line out . It will be no problem to disconnect the B1's. although I was super happy with the way it sounded with the 2 of them hooked up at the same time and this will be my setup for the slightly larger places. I have the T1 and had to reduce my lows (now that's funny) ::) to get it where I liked it.  I have the packlite and 2 additional B1's for a total of 4 but the KSub with 2 seem to throw the bass a little further out (More Thump) in my opinion. Just more options I have now depending on the gig and how much I want to carry.  I have never even heard of a B1 failure so you may be waiting a while for your lunchbox.  ;D Thumper
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »

Thanks Geo that will work! Thumper >-D
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

When Aye ordered me DM-10 Studio Kit, Aye was told it would be shipped within the week. Then Aye was told it would not ship until Mid May.  Now it appears Mid-July will be the ship date.  Therefore, towit, and henceforth rightly, Aye cancelled me order. Aye will try again in the not too distant future.  Aye had the same problem with a Qwiklok QL-691 stand.  In the meantime, Aye have not had too much luck with BFD2 running on a Windows 7 laptop with a Presonus audio interface.  Aye even had the extreme pleasure of chatting on the phone with Mr. Wizard to try and resolve some of the issues Aye be experiencing.  Aye still be getting a slight delay, sounds played in rapid succession, like a finger roll, get cut off, and Aye just cannot seem to get the sounds that Aye want as Aye do not have all of the expansion packs available to BFD2.  Those too, will be acquired in the not too distant future.  In the meantime, Aye will continue to use the reliable TD-20, although I am acquiring more software demos of other things such as Toontrack and Abelton.  Aye recently went to an open mike night and played publicly for only the second time.  Alas no photos as me first mate did not attend to that chore.  However, I used the TD-20 along with a new hard case to transport it that Aye picked up for a mere $25 at a trade show I attended recently.  I was up and running within 5 minutes.  Next stop a Z4 upgrade and wireless.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 08:52:28 AM »

Pyrate,

Buddy, I hate to hear about all your issues with BFD.  I know firsthand how steep that learning curve is... and you never can tell if it's you, your PC, your interface, etc. etc. etc  ???.  I hate that feeling.  You'll get it though man, don't give up.  It is AWESOME, no joke.

And the expansion packs: yeah, you just gotta have a ton of sounds on hand to choose from!  They are pricy, but worth every penny.  I find that I am the kind of guy who finds a handful of sounds I LOVE and use those.  (For example, I think I am only using 3 bass drums in all the kits I have built!)  That means I may be only using a set of toms and a splash cym from one sound pack, 2 snares and a cowbell from another, etc.  But it sounds like I want it to, and that's the goal, right?  Check eBay: I bought XFL and 8-Bit on there for next to nothin', and use XFL especially quite a bit.  And you just GOTTA have those old 808 sounds, and 8-Bit has 'em.

I highly recommend the Jazz-n-Funk and Percussion packs; I could not live without those for sure.  Our buddy John E. is a whiz at building those soundsets.  If he built it, you want it.

Jer
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up