Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: INSPECTOR 109: Tell us about DM-10!  (Read 6755 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: INSPECTOR 109: Tell us about DM-10!
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 10:11:35 AM »

Well said Rand.

Jer

Ps: is your user name a Robert Jordan tribute?

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »

Just for fun, I thought I'd share something I have been messing with in the DM10.  Before I begin, let me head off some controversy at the pass: I am going to talk about sympathetic snare buzz- as in, I am adding it on purpose.  I have seen this issue get argued about ad nauseum, so- if you LIKE the realism of some snare buzz, read on!  If you DON'T- don't read on!  Thanks for your support! 

I did a jazz gig last night, and sometimes e-drums can really sound "canned."  Especially in a jazz setting, I will do anything I can to get as much realism as possible.  I don't necessarily LIKE sympathetic snare buzz, especially in excess, but a little can add that spark of "real drum kit" vibe.  So, with the DM10's layering feature, I added a piccolo snare drum sound as layer 2 on the toms and bass drum.  This particular sample has lots of snare buzz sound, so it emulates a bottom mic on the snare drum.  I have added it with just a TINY level setting- I think 18 (out of 99) on the 10" tom, and then less and less as you go down the toms, just like on the real kit.  For another layer of realism, I copied this exact kit to the next kit slot, but removed all the snare buzz layers and changed the snare drum and rim shot sounds to "snares off" samples.  So, by toggling between those 2 kits, I can turn my "snare strainer" on and off on the fly, just like the real deal.  I love it!

Jer

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 08:48:43 PM »

Jer
Ps: is your user name a Robert Jordan tribute?

Interestingly, I was suprised to see Randtor used in the Wheel of Time series! My name is Rand Torman, so Randtor is just an abbreviation. Imagine my surprise when I started reading WOT! Now, since my middle initial is 'O' (and I'll leave that one alone for now!), my friends and a lot of my family call me RandO, which has been a nickname for years. Some of my music friends now call me the Zenmeister, lol!

I like the snare buzz setup! I am going to have to try that a bit with the TD-10 and see what I can come up with, if anything. The TD-10 allows the snare to be tight, medium or loose, and when loose, I can get quite a buzz by tweaking the setings. Should be fun to try!
RandO !
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 02:37:13 PM »

RandO Calrissian?   ;) :D

Oh man, if we ever hang out, that's what I'm calling you.  If anyone reading this doesn't get it, well, you're just not as geeky as I am.   ;D

Jer

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »

hmph.... well it is zendrumdude, that you the funny side of things see!

May the force be with you.................   ;D

"RandO" Calrissian

Hahaha! Love it!
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up