Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP WITH TD-20  (Read 951 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
HELP WITH TD-20
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »

A fellow Zendrummer asked for my help to get some answers to some of his questions. I thought I would post his questions for others to see and maybe help. I answered the best I could but I know there are others that use the TD-20 that may be able to help more than I. Can someone step up and help him. thanks Thumper

Dear Mike:

This is Marc.  A while ago Dave from Zendrum Corp asked you if you could help me with some Zendrum issues and you graciously offered to help me with some questions regarding setting up the Zendrum with my TD-20 drum modual. I have a couple of questions setting up the Zendrum with the TD-20.  If its easier to call me or have me call you rather than use e-mail let me know.  My cell phone is (239)  and I can call you back immeidaely if you want to avoid any long distance charges. I appreciate your help and want to make it as convenient for you as possible.

1.  I set up the Hi-hat pedal (i had an old PD-7 pedal) and it works fine to open and close the hi-hat but I cannot get the click sound when I step on the pedal.  You know the sound when the two cymbals close.  I can only open or close the sound with the pedal when I hit it with my hand.  Is it possible to do this with my PD-7 pedal?  If not could I do this with a different kind of pedal (like the trap kat pedal) that has two inputs?

2.  To avoid the "machine gun" sound on the snare to you program two snares and slightly change the pitch on one? Do you program one snare and a rim?

3.  Do you know how to set up a drag for the snare? (where you hit it once and it sounds like a roll).

4.  I was trying to play around with some other sounds and I notice that on the lower Midi channels like channel 3 and 4 they have bass sounds and keyboard sounds.  Do you know the midi numbers that would get me all the notes i needed in the scale?  Do I need to set this up in Memory bank one, two, three etc... instead of memory bank 16?

5.  Can I set it up where each time I tap the pad it plays a different note so that I can set up the note sequence ahead of time?  If so do you know how to do this?

6.  If you have any bass, percussion or melodic instruments set up with your TD-20 would you be willing to share your mapping and midi numbers you use with me?

Thanks,

Marc
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH TD-20
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:51 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Aye will do the best that Aye can for a fellow Marc. 

1.  Recommend reading this document http://www.smartrigger.com/downloads/SmartriggerUsersGuideNov04.pdf  to get the answer to the PD-7 to TD-20 issue.
2.  Aye have several pads setup for snares, two pads (one right hand, one left hand) for hits another for rim shots and yet another for rolls. I don't get any machine gunning at all.
3.  The TD-20 has a sound for a snare roll and it is editable as far as duration is concerned.
4.  You would have to change your Zendrum to match the midi channel for those sounds.  If you have a Z3 it means you have to change the entire Zendrum.  If you have a Z4 you can change the MIDI channel on each pad individually. Once you decide which way to go (depending on your zendrum version, setting up the MIDI notes is as easy as looking up a general MIDI Note map on the Internet and programming it into the Zendrum on any setup number you choose.
5.  See 4 above.
6.  Aye have several percussion instruments setup on my TD-20.  On the TD-20 use the rotary wheel to go to number 50 (user setup).  On the Zendrum, go to No selection on the data pad.  On the TD-20 press the buttom labeled "INSTRUMENT".  On the TD-20, strike the pad you want to set, then back on the TD-20 use the menu buttons to go to the instrument list and use the scroll wheel to go through the list of available sounds.  Strike the selected pad on the Zendrum again to ensure you are getting the right sounds from that pad.  Set up the remaining pads on the Zendrum the same way and you will have a complete map for TD-20 User setup number 50.  Don't forget to save the setup on the TD-20 and on the Zendrum.
    Since Aye know nothing of melodic stuff I don't have anything like that programmed in.  I do know the TD-20 has the capability of programming in short loops.  Aye recommend reading the TD-20 manual about this capability. Those loops can be programmed to play either continuously or one note per pad strike.

I hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Marc aka Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH TD-20
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »

4.  I was trying to play around with some other sounds and I notice that on the lower Midi channels like channel 3 and 4 they have bass sounds and keyboard sounds.  Do you know the midi numbers that would get me all the notes i needed in the scale?  Sure... try the lower Zendrum default notemaps.  Map 1 is a pentatonic scale, and I don't remember which ones are which, but read the Zendrum manual- it has major, minor, blues, etc. already in there. 

Just for fun, though, here's a C Major scale:
36, 38, 40, 41, 43, 45, 47, 48, 50, 52, 53, 55, 57, 59, 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69, 71, 72, 74, 76.  That's enough to cover your 24 pads. 

Here's C minor:
36, 38, 39, 41, 43, 44, 46, 48, 50, 51, 53, 55, 56, 58, 60, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75.

Here's C Dorian:
36, 38, 39, 41, 43, 45, 46, 48, 50, 51, 53, 55, 57, 58, 60, 62, 63, 65, 67, 69, 70, 72, 74, 75.

Here's C Mixolydian:
36, 38, 40, 41, 43, 45, 46, 48, 50, 52, 53, 55, 57, 58, 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69, 70, 72, 74, 76.

To change the key, do this:
-For C#: add 1 to each
-For D: add 2
-For Eb: add 3
-For E: add 4
-For F: add 5
-For F#/Gb: add or subtract 6
-For G: add 7 or subtract 5
-For G#/Ab: subtract 4
-For A: subtract 3
-For Bb: subtract 2
-For B: subtract 1

Do I need to set this up in Memory bank one, two, three etc... instead of memory bank 16?  Already there by factory default!

5.  Can I set it up where each time I tap the pad it plays a different note so that I can set up the note sequence ahead of time?  YES!  If so do you know how to do this?  Use a midi keyboard to record what you want to play as a "pattern" in the TD-20's sequencer.  Then, set that pattern to play in "Tap" mode from one of the pad inputs on the TD-20.  Set the Zendrum trigger you want to use to play the note number that corresponds to that pad input.  This feature is AWESOME.

6.  If you have any bass, percussion or melodic instruments set up with your TD-20 would you be willing to share your mapping and midi numbers you use with me?  See above, and see Zendrum manual.

Hope that helps!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up