Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording your own sounds  (Read 1538 times)

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
recording your own sounds
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »

I have one simple question:  How does one go about recording and then playing his own home-made sounds on his Zendrum?

I would love to know, and you are good people.
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: recording your own sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:30:15 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

It all depends on how much booty you are willing to part with.  While Zendrumdude, Mr. Wizard (John Emirich) and the Mayor (Tom Roady) are all much more familiar with this topic than Aye am, Aye will put in me peice of eight anyway.  First you can use a digital recorder or you can use a digital audio workstation or you can use a recording sampler.  Aye recommend that you do a Google search on the terms in me previous sentence to learn more about them.  Each has pros and cons and all have differing costs. 

Aye know it isn't much, but Aye hope it helps.  If any of you other fine gentlemen wish to chime in to help this fellow tribe member that seems to be adrift, then please do so!  Aye am certainly not the expert on this.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:38:40 AM »

Peebo,

I would say your best overall bet is to get BFD2; along with being the best drum module available, it also has a sampling feature.  I have not used it yet, but this summer when I have some time off work, I am going to see about making some samples of my Tama Exotix kit.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 08:23:59 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Using the Olde Pyrate's last remaining two brain cells; did Aye not recall that our esteemed Inspector 109 just record his own samples from his acoustic kit?  Methinks he would be the perfect person, along with Mr. Wizard and the Mayor to address this issue!   INSPECTOR!!!  MR. WIZARD!!!  MAYOR!!!  Fall in please and address the mast!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »

Greetings Peebo.

You will need two things.
1. A recording platform.  What kind of computer do you have?  Mac includes some free programs that might work fine.  You cold also look into a small interface for MIDI and Audio.  Many companies are including free versions of Digital Audio Workstations with these interfaces.

2.  Are you going to record audio, or just manipulate free sounds from the web?  If you want to play with real audio you will need to include a microphone or two to go with your interface.  You do not need to get fancy.  Just get something that fits your price range and start experimenting.  If you have questions about mics and recording, I will try to help.

3.  As Jer mentioned, BFD2 does allow you to import your own sounds.  It will not record them for you.

Bottom line would be something like this.....
- Figure out what sound you are after.
- Use a mic, interface, and a DAW program to record the sound.
- If it is a free web based sound, figure out the format that it is in and import it into your DAW.
- Editing!  This is where it can get tricky.  You want to isolate the sample and edit in a starting cut at the beginning of the transient.
- Export the new "sample" as a 16 bit .wav file
- (BFD2) create a data folder called My Sounds and place the new .wav file in it.
- Open up the Kit Piece Chooser in BFD2 and select "Import"
- The next window that window that pops up asks you for the destination folder.  You will pick the same "My Samples" folder.  BFD2 will create a new subfolder for the sample once it has formatted it for BFD2.
- You will then see the new sample in the Kit Piece Chooser under the category that you select when importing.
- You can now mix that sample along side all of the BFD2 samples and use all of the effect plugins in the mixer page.

Sorry for the long answer, but am up in RI doing a BFD2 install and Zendrum/TrapKAT lesson.  I had extra time because I left all of my sampling work at home.  :)

Hope this helps!
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »

Thanks all.  John, can I record the sounds into garageband, save them as the files you suggested, and load them into Kontakt? 
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »

Yup.

You just need to export the sounds as wave files.  Once you spit them out of Garage Band, you build a Kontact file.

Cheers!
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up