Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triggering Riffs  (Read 3175 times)

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Triggering Riffs
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:52:09 AM »

One pad does a quick 16th note triplet bass drum run.  Or it plays a straight 4 hihat for a whole measure.

These 'cheats' make playing ZD easier and more impressive.  But is it still playing the instrument, or is it being a DJ or an operator?
Play nice.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Triggering Riffs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:31:04 AM »

It's using the tools you have to their fullest extent.  That's just smart, not cheating.  The Zendrum is all about possibilities, and they are endless.  I can trigger an entire plethora of sounds,percussion and otherwise, with one instrument.  I have sounds at my disposal that  I never had before, and for me it increases my abilities as a creative musician.  I'm the one that has to figure out how and what to do...there are no classical formulas or instruction for playing the Zendrum.  it's not a drumset, it's a unique instrument that allow me to stretch my creative wings.  I do have to practice (a Lot) and therefore I'm not just spinning someone elses music, or operating a machine that does it for me.  It's outside the box, but that doesn't make it any less of an instrument to be played and mastered. The new keyboards have arpeggiators that play it for you, but just hitting those keys doesn't make you a musician, it's what you bring to the table. 

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »

I agree with Raven. You have to be willing to use the tools given to you. I remember when this ugly thing called a drum machine came out. Many drummers were livid but the ones who learned to use them found out that drummers could program them better than keyboard players. They can be very useful tools. It still requires skill and practice to use them. That's a fact. A LOT of practice.

Cheers,
Steve

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »

I'd call it triggering a sample.  Whether that's playing the instrument or operating a control I'm not sure, but personally I think it's still playing the instrument.  The situation you posit reminds me of some of the stuff Tony Verderosa does.  I've seen him trigger samples and riffs and such from one pad strike... does that make him a drummer or a DJ?  Granted, the title of his first VFX album was subtitled "The DJ Drummer", but I think the point still stands.

I think anyone with as much access to tech as Zendrummers have to be careful that the tech doesn't get away from us, but as long as it's apparent that we're the ones playing the instrument, it's all gravy.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

retro surfer

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:19:24 PM »

Not cheating at all in my opinion and definately playing music not that DJs don't create music of their own most do and are musicians in their own right. The Zen drum like any MIDI instrument it is only as good as the person playing it other than that it's just noise.  I play the guitar as my  primary instrument so allot of people think the ZD is not a instrument I just smile and pass it over to the doubter usually that's all it takes to show everyone it's a true instrumant and only as good as the person playing it.
Proud owner of a Maple laptop

brip

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 09:20:27 AM »

I think the Zendrum is about whatever you want to do with it. Certainly some forms of playing require more technical skill (and practice) than others. Finger independence on the Zendrum is like limb independence on a drum kit. Being good at it requires focused practice. However, playing loops or riffs in a musical way requires a degree of technical proficiency as well - especially if you create your own. I got my Zendrum because I wanted to be able to trigger a huge variety of sounds without having a room...er, warehouse full of instruments. The  Zendrum is the fastest route from brain to music that I've found. I'm only limited by my imagination, technical skill, .... and sample library.  ;D
-Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up