Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zendrum Guitar Stand Adapter  (Read 4982 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Zendrum Guitar Stand Adapter
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:54:49 PM »

greetings tribe!

One thing I'm always in search of is ways to make my Zendrum more versatile and able to go more places.  And I recently realized that part of the ability to go places is (at least I think so) the stand. 

A while back I went to the website of the Chapman Stick company and I saw this:

http://stickenterprises.com/accessories/stand/stickstand.html

I thought this was an incredible idea and I tried to look for ways to incorporate similar technology for the Zendrum.  I recently found my answer. 

There's a product called the Case Brace; it's a guitar hanger that mounts to the edge of a guitar case. 

I discovered that if you put the 'Brace on a regular guitar stand like this one:http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Tubular-Guitar-Stand?sku=451058 and put the nose of the Zendrum in the space of the Case Brace, it makes a darn fine Zendrum stand!

Now, as always there are a few notes:
-You'll have to hike the upper tube of the stand up pretty high, almost to the end of it's length.
-You may want to secure the Brace to the lower fork; I have not done so on mine because I haven't used it enough yet
-The stand I used for my demo didn't have all of the padding on the upper fork.  I don't know how well the tail will fit into the upper fork with full padding, but I imagine a good push will seat it properly.

I love this item for this purpose because it allows a Zendrummer to take advantage of the ubiquitous tubular stand that you find EVERYWHERE and it requires no modding except securing it to the stand should you choose to do so. 

I'll enclose pictures as soon as I get them re-sized.  In the meantime, here's the link to the Brace's website:

http://casebrace.com

Take care everyone!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Zendrum Guitar Stand Adapter
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »

So, as promised, here are some links to the pictures I took with my new CaseBrace-based stand:

http://spoonybards.com/jon/Public/Case%20Brace%20and%20ZX.JPG
http://spoonybards.com/jon/Public/Case%20Brace%20Closeup.JPG

I've also discovered that the Zendrum does fit on a stand with a fully-padded upper fork; just needs a little push to get it seated properly.

I'm also working on a way to adapt this thing for guitar racks.  I've found that it will work fine on the padded tubular ones, but for flat-bottomed ones or those ones that fold into a case that look like a guitar hardshell case, I'll need some sort of adapter.  I've already got some ideas.  Thought people might want to know.  Take care!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Tom Roady

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »

I thought I would put up some photos of my Zendrum stand that we used to sell...I think it was made by Gibraltar back in the 90's...I'm still using it today and use it with a couple of multi clamps that have 2 or 3 adjustments...."the mayor"

Tom Roady

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »

Here is another "the mayor"

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

Hello Tom.   I do not see any photo's? I just logged in to se if that was my problem but stil I do not see them.  I am still trying to come up with a stand that suits my needs Thumper
Thumper

Tom Roady

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:57 AM »

Thumper...they are there for sure..I see them and it seems others have seen them also....don't know what the problem is...let me know direct if you want to see them...I can send them to you directly.."the mayor"

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »

Here is what I am using,

It is by a company called Quiklok.  The pegs turn clockwise and counter clockwise as well as up and down individually.  It works great for me.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/QUIKLOK_QL691_GUITAR_STAND_.html
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »

I  bought one of these but to me it stands up too straight. I bought one of those foam swimming noodles and I an going to put them on the front legs to allow it to lean back a little. I think that it will be more stable this way. Tom, I can see the pics now. I just had to open the actual discussion page and there they were. thanks for offering to sending me the pics Thumper
Thumper

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »

I was worried that it would tip and that it was not stable, but I under controlled conditions banged into it from each side and even tapped the ZX to see if it would come out and it doesn't budge.  I even pick up the stand with the ZX in it and move it around and it doesn't come out of place.  It works for me, I guess it is all about preference.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Tom Roady

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:25:38 AM »

Hey Rob and fellow tribe members....the best thing about mine(our old stand) is that I can play it much like an acoustic guitar stand that you can walk up to and play...your stand is cool to "rest" your zendrum on...but hard to play it on your knees upside down! "the mayor"

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

Good point, I don't think I am flexible enough to play it as it sits, it hurts just thinking about it.

"The Pocket Master"

Tom Roady

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 01:41:24 PM »

It would seriously mess with your pocket "Pocket Master"!

camcojunky

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »

Tom,

Your stand is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, since my plan is to incorporate the ZX into my acoustic drum rack horizontally, similar to some recent Youtubes of John Emerich using his LT that way.

How can I get one of your stands?

Tom Roady

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »

The sad case is camcojunky You can't...Zendrum stopped making them several years ago....the photos I posted tonight show how I'm using the stand now..it was originally mad by Gibraltar for us but like I said that was many years ago...I know Kim and David still probably have theirs..in fact I know Kim does...but I don't think he will be parting with it any time soon.. "the mayor"

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »

Camco,

Know a good welder?  The stand actually consists of 2 components: a Gibraltar bongo stand (easy to get) and a bracket that holds the Zendrum and has holes to mount on the Gib stand.  I would be happy to get you some measurements and pics if you'd like to get a welder to make the bracket.  It would be kinda complicated to build, I must admit.  Works great though.  I modified mine a bit but could explain if you want to go ahead with the idea...

Jer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up