Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best module purchase I have ever made!  (Read 2373 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Best module purchase I have ever made!
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:38:06 PM »

OK, this is going to sound strange... I just tried out a module for the first time yesterday that I have owned for over a year and never turned on.  I will explain later.  

It's a Yamaha MU5.  This thing is really small (the size of a VHS tape), easy to use, and sounds pretty darn good!  Apparently they were like $400 new in the mid-90s.  It's a 16-part GM sound module, with a very useful onboard mini (more like micro) keyboard on it.  It can be battery operated and is SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE.  I downloaded the manual, but you really wouldn't need it.

I have been using my MacBook Pro as my sound source for a year and a half now, and though I still have a few drum modules around I never use them.  I was setting up my brand-new LT for melodic use, and I just couldn't bring myself to go in the house, get the Mac, set all my stuff up, blah blah blah.  I pulled out the MU5 (I had never even turned it on) and within seconds I was jammin' away on a pretty decent Vibes patch.  The pianos are OK, Marimba kinda lame.  Vibes are the best sound I have found in it, and some synths are good too.

The drum sounds are what you'd expect from General Midi... not editable in any way, but there are 8 kits to choose from, and they aren't horrible.  This will now be my backup module for when the @#$%^& hits the fan.

And so why was this my best module purchase ever?  'Cuz I got it FREE when I bought a used TrapKat a couple years ago.  I had always assumed I'd resell this thing later, and never got around to it.  I'm glad I didn't!  If you can find one dirt cheap, this would be a GREAT item to have in your gig bag just in case.

Jer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:39:22 PM by zendrumdude »

Tom Roady

Re: Best module purchase I have ever made!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »

I used to have a Roland PMA 5 years ago...it was very similar to your Yamaha module...general midi...28 voice...decent sounds...long gone now but I see I believe they are still making them...cool...I remember using it quite a bit back then and it also had an 8 track sequencer with 4 rhythm tracks and four instrument tracks....."the mayor"

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Best module purchase I have ever made!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye still have a Roland PMA 5.  According to the Roland website, they are no longer making them, but they can be had on ebay for a decent price.  Aye think Aye may have hooked my Jolly Roger ZX into it once.  Aye should try it again.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up