Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD2 Questions  (Read 12090 times)

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: BFD2 Questions
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »

.when will it end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sticks,

Here are the answers: (when will gear-obsession end)

1) Never.
2) When spouse says so.
3) When kid(s) go(es) to college.
4) Death (either actual death, or threat of death from spouse).

Sorry to be blunt buddy, but ya gotta know the truth.   :D

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Well after receiving my FD-7 Hi Hat pedal, Aye just found out that Alesis has a new DM-10 Studio Kit

http://www.alesis.com/dm10studiokit

After seeing the price tag ($999 from Amazon with free shipping) and comparing that to the $6999 proce tag of a new Roland TD20 kit, Aye took the plunge and ordered one.  No estimated delivery date yet.  One more thing to add to the new studio section of the living room.

And the best part is that Aye even had me First Mate's permission to get it.  Arrrgghhhh!!!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye managed to load a decent kit into BFD2 and saved it.  However, now when Aye strike a pad rather hard (maximum velocity) Aye notice that it is not a single hit I hear (particularly on the snares), but almost of a multi-hit bounce.  Sometimes it is two hits of decreasing volume sometimes more.  How do Aye correct this rather annoying issue?

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 07:14:36 PM »

Pyrate,

Check BFD's midi monitor window and see what you're getting.  My guess is it's false triggering... you hit one pad, but it's so sensitive that others fire as well.  If so, you'll have to raise the FL in the ZX.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

Thanks for the advice.  The problem seems to have left for now.  However, Aye wanted to set up a set of brushes.  Aye went through the entire BFD manual and no mention is made of brushes.  Is there any way to get brushes in BFD2 without having to purchase an expansion pack?

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 07:24:54 PM »

Sorry, but brushes are available as expansions.  BFD2 was produced with a different engineer and brushes are kind of my thing.  What you could do is purchase one of the Yamaha kits (down loadable) and one of the signature snare packs.  The download series is a great way to get more sounds at a low price without leaving your wheel house.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye hate to sound like a dumb box of rocks, but this stuff be getting the best of me olde brain.  Yesterday Aye managed to create a nice kit.  Aye got the sounds jusat the way Aye liked them and Aye set up the Jolly Roger Zendrum pads to play the sounds Aye wanted.  Aye then saved the kit.  When Aye went back later, the kit loaded just fine, but the zendrum pads were not playing the same stuff that Aye had programmed in, i.e. the toms and snares and cymbals were no longer on the pads to which Aye had originally assigned them to.  Have any of you BFD2 experts had this happen?  Aye be seriously befuddled.

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2010, 05:03:01 PM »

YES!  And this is something I wish they'd change in BFD2.

Here's the fix... if it helps, you owe me a Morgan-N-Coke!  We'll drink one together.

When you save the kit, you also have to save the Keymap.  After both have been saved (and the mixer, if you made any changes), save the whole shebang as a PRESET.

Here's the tricky part:

When you load the preset, unless you click the box on "Load Keymap" it will NOT load the map!  WHAT?!?!?! I have no idea why they had it default to NOT loading the map with the preset, but I wish they'd change that.  So, click Load Preset, and then in the chooser window, be sure to click "Load Keymap" at the bottom.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »

Avast Thar Zendrumdude,

Aye do indeed owe ye a Captain Morgan  and whatever ye mix with it.   Arrrggghhhhh!!!  Aye knew it had to be something more complex than me feeble mind could handle.   Aye gave it a go and ye know the darn thing worked.  Aye suppose Aye should sit down and read the BFD manual.  So far what little Aye have been able to comprehend is that Aye will need to purchase many BFD2 expansion packs for meself before I can get exactly the sounds that I want.

Pyrate
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:36:31 PM by Pyrate »

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2010, 11:06:33 PM »

Pyrate,

I have been really happy with sounds from XFL and the Jazz-n-Funk sets (J&F has SWEET cymbal samples especially!).  Also, I couldn't survive without the Percussion pack.  And I downloaded a couple kits too... one of them, I think it was the Yamaha Oaks, has a KILLER set played with hot rods.  You mentioned brushes... that too.  Basically if John E. built it, you gotta have it.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »

Avast Thar Dude,

I downloaded the Maple kit upgrade.  While Aye long for Jazz and Funk and the Percussion packs, those will have to wait until Aye replenish me stock of Pyrate Booty.

Now what Aye need to do is coordinate my TD-20 to what BFD is putting out so that I can switch from one to the other quickly and easily.

Someday ye will have to visit the Annapolis, MD area, so Mr. Wizard and Aye can meet you face to face and we can share that Captain Morgan.

Fair Winds and Followingeas,
Pyrate

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Someday Aye may get the hang of this BFD2 thing.  Here is the situation.  I created a kit and with Zendrumdude's expert assistance, I managed to save the kit, the keymap, the equalizer and the preset so that it all now loads consistently.  However, when trying to jam along with some Manhattan Transfer Aye noticed a definite lag between my playing and what was coming out of my studio monitors.  When Aye switched over to my trusty Rolnad TD-20 the lag went away.  So the questions are a) am Aye crazy in what I am hearing and b) what can be done to fix it?

Pyrate

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

My guess would be your computer processing speed is causing the latency issues.  I don't have BFD2 but to me it sounds like a computer issue with memory.  How much RAM do you have in your computer?  If you increase your RAM (more money), the delay may go away.  It isn't there when you use your TD-20 because that is what it is designed for, playing drums and percussion.

Hope this helps a little.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 03:57:39 PM »

Avast Thar Sticks,

Aye have 4 Gigabytes of RAM, an Intel I5 cpu and a 500 Gigabyte harddrive.  Internally there is also an NVIDIA graphics card with 512 MBytes of dedicated video memory.  Externally Aye have a 1 TB eSATA hard drive with a 32 MByte Cache.  Aye store the sample files on the external hard drive per directions of Zendrumdude and Mr. Wizard.  aye am running Windows 7 and aye have stripped all unneccesary programs from it.  Aye have optimized as much as Aye can, methinks.

Aye still be at a loss to understand the delay.

Pyrate

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 04:12:18 PM »

Your specs sound good and you're doing well with the external drive.  The latency must be within your audio interface and/or drivers.  What are you using to get MIDI into your rig and audio out?  Are you using ASIO based drivers?
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up