Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD2 Questions  (Read 11023 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: BFD2 Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:57 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Jer, thanks for the advice.  I think that I will just mess around with BFD2 in stand alone for a while.  If I start playing around with hosts I will on;y confuse myself more.  And at my advanced age, that can happen quite easily.  Since I have only performed publicly once (and that was a fluke), I don't think I will need all the fancy eqs, compressors, expanders, and other gee whix stuff from a host application.

After Aye get the new hard drive and load BFD on it I will let everyone know how I am doing.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »

Pyrate,

Wise choice.  BFD2 has all the processing stuff you'll ever need onboard.  I use mine in a host (sometimes) for 2 reasons:

-My host (Ableton Live) has looping capabilities
-I also use my Zendrum LT at the same time with melodic stuff.  To run both at once, I need a host to house both "modules."

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 04:46:47 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

So Aye finally received me external hard drive; a 1TB Cavalry with a 32 MB Cache and an Esata interface.  I managed to successfully load BFD in stand alone mode.  I even got preprogrammed sounds to come out of it using my earphone jack going to my Alesis 12R Rackmount mixer.  I am running on an HP laptop with an i5 quad core, 4 GB of RAM and a 500GB internal hard drive, with Windows 7 64bit as an OS.  All was well until I tried to hook in my M-Audio midisport Uno to a USB port.  The blasted machine said it could not find a driver.  I went to the M-Audio website and for this particular device, there is no driver listed for Windows 7.  So here is the question:  How do I connect me Jolly Roger Zendrum to me computer so I can play using BFD2?  Arrrggghhhh!!!!  I be lost adrift among a sea of free electrons.

Fair Winds and Followiung Seas,
Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 05:12:45 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

While Aye be thinkin about it, my new laptop has a 17.3 wide screen display.  How do Aye maximize BFD2 to fill up the screen?  The maximize button is grayed out.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »

You just need to get a MIDI to USB interface that has current support for your computer.  The Uno is getting up there in age......  I really like The Motu fastlane.  It is about $70.  You will need to check the specs on what ever you buy.

There is no maximizing BFD2.  Because it functions as a plug in the size needs to be set.  You could try changing your screen layout.  That would make it look bigger.

Good luck!
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 12:05:45 PM »

Avast Thar Mr. Wizard,

I picked up a Motu Fastlane per your recommendation on Sunday.  Installed easy enough and I managed to get a kit built, saved and loaded in BFD2.  I checked my Jolly Roger Zendrum and it actually started making sounds from the PC with BFD2 loaded with no noticeable latency issues.  Of course I am not running a wirelss conffig yet.  I have watched your video on setting up hi hats, but I am not using a pedal yet, so the question becomes, how do I set up hi hats when I am not using a pedal?  Also are you available for some BFD2 instruction?

Pyrate

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

Shipmate,

Congrats on your progress with BFD2.  You can contact me if you want to get a little deeper into BFD2, but it sounds like you are figuring it out.

I use the standard open/closed, two trigger approach when I don't have a HH pedal.  The Zendrum stays the same and I use a different map in BFD2.  It is easy to set up.  The addition of the CC pedal really opens up some possibilities for Hi Hat and allows me to concentrate on other new things.

Cheers,
John
John Emrich

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 02:47:15 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye once again watched videos of Mr. Wizard setting up drum kits and pieces in BFD2. Looked easy enough until Aye started getting some strange things when setting up me ride cymbals. I wanted one pad to be the tip hit and another pad to be the bell.  Aye picked out me two triggers and managed to get both of them set to the same setting (either hit or bell) but cannot seem to separate the two.  If Aye change one, the other follows along.  SOS!!!

Fair Winds and Following seas,
Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »

Pyrate,

First, check on the Zendrum... are the 2 pads the same note number?  If so, there's your problem.  If not, go to BFD2's midi window, and check out the keyboard on the left.  As you hit those pads, they will be highlighted on the keyboard.  Click-n-drag the ride cymbal onto the keys you want; when you do, it will allow you to pick which articulations you want for each.

Hope that helps, matey!

Jer (deck swabber)

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »

Click-n-drag the ride cymbal onto the keys you want; when you do, it will allow you to pick which articulations you want for each.

Jer (deck swabber)

If you see the word Multiple, you might have both triggers assigned to it.  Right Click to clear the articulation.

John
John Emrich

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:10 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Yet another seemingly inncoucous quenstion from the BFD2 newbie.  Is there a way in BFD2 stand alone mode to load more than one kit at a time so that when Aye am playing say a jazz brush kit, Aye can, using something similar to a Roland FC-300, switch kits in mid stream, or do Aye need yet another peice of software to accomplish that?

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »

Pyrate,

In BFD2 standalone, there isn't a way to do this *exactly* like you said, but if you use the largest kit setup (I think it's 33 kit pieces), and then load all the sounds you want, you can use 2 notemaps on the Jolly Roger to switch between these kits.  This is what I do, and it works great!  Remember that you can load ANY instrument into any slot (but sometimes you lose certain articulations in doing this).  But right off the bat you have 2 bass drums, 2 snare drums, I think 6 toms, and like 8 cymbals... I am guessing on those, but the bottom line is, it should be PLENTY.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye just received me a Roland FD-7 Hi Hat pedal that Aye won from Ebay.  Now the question be how do Aye connect it to me computer running BFD-2?  It appears to only have a 1/4 inch jack.  It be obvious where to put it on me TD-20, but I want to try this without the TD-20 connected just yet.

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »

Pyrate,

You have 2 options:

-Into the TD-20, then midi out to your PC
-Into the back of your ZX (provided it's upgraded to Z4)

If you wanna buy more gear (don't we all?) you could get a Roland TMC-6, an Alesis Trigger IO, or a Midi Solutions pedal-to-midi interface.  All would provide the same thing for you: a simple and small way to get your pedal interfaced with your PC.

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:19 AM »

That is how it was with my FC-300.  I purchased it not realizing that there was not a MIDI through, just a MIDI out so I ended up buying another component being the MIDI merge box from MIDI Solutions (purchased through guitar center).  It was $50 which was nothing after sinking the money for the FC.  Always something else that you need to purchase.....upgrade ZX.....buy more software.........a new module...........when will it end!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up