Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD2 Questions  (Read 11611 times)

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
BFD2 Questions
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:20:54 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Well, the Olde Pyrate has walked off the edge of the plank (what in Neptune's realm was I thinkin) and purchased a brand new copy of BFD2 from me local Guitar Center.  I started to read the the manual (180 pages worth) and by page 16 I was already developing a Moby Dick sized headache.  The only thing advanced with this olde salt is me age. That being said, here are some questions I have.  First, my intention is to purchase a separate computer to install this beasty on.  The question that is starting to befuddle the Olde Pyrate is which one?  My choices are a) a Windows base i5 core laptop with 4Gb of RAM and a 500 Gb internal hard drive and an eSata port, or b) a Macbook Pro with 4 Gigs of Ram and a 500 Gb hard drive or c) an iMac with similar specs to the Macbook or d) a Mac Mini with similar specs.  Obviously there are pros and cons to each.  Apples be generally more expensive than a Windows PC.  Then there is the concern of throughput from an external hard drive (i.e. eSata vs Firewire 800).  Also there is the learning curve for MAC as the Olde Pyrate is a Windows saillor.  I am attempting to get this new rig in place and playing as quickly as possible.

Any suggestions regarding computers and external hard drives, eSata vs Firewire 800, etc are cordially invited.  Anyone in the area that might be able to provide some assistance in setting this thing up (Mr. Wizard, do you here this?) would also be greatly appreciated.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
a very confused (easy at my advanced age) Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: BFD2 Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:21:48 AM »

Macbook Pro would be my choice since I have been on macs  for years. If i had my druthers  and some extra cash I would consider getting a solid state hard drive with it. They are a pretty expensive add on right now but should come down in price once they become mainstream. I am not familiar with the windows side but they seem to be more prone to viruses than Mac. Just my two cents worth Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:33 AM »

Avast Thar Thumper:

I agree that PCs are more prone to viruses, however, whichever route I choose shall be limited to BFD2 and other associated programs.  I will not be doing email, graphics, or general business items on it.  Also, being that I do Network Security for the US Navy, I'm pretty confident about my abaility to minimize PC vulnerabilities.  Also Macs are now being targeted for exploits as they become more popular (especially with their interface to the iphone), so they are not as invulnerable as they used to be.  My concerns with the Mac are threefold.  One, I am not familiar with the MAC operating environment and single button mouse (I use a trackball).  Also, cost is a factor as Apples cost more than PCs.  Lastly, bandwidth throughput and latency is a concern and from what I am reading eSata is faster than firewire 800, although that remains to be seen.

But Aye appreciate the conversation.  I find everyone's opinions and thoughts very helpful as i have not yet made a final decision. 

I am now up to page 24 in the manual, and I am more confused than ever.  It seems I have to pick a mode (stand alone or plug in host) and then pick a player mode (edrummer or midi controller, which to me are the same thing).  I don't know if i can change these settings at a later time or not.   Arrrggghhhh!!!! Blast my lack of wits.

Pyrate
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:35:01 AM by Pyrate »
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:56 PM »

Avast Thar Thumper:

I agree that PCs are more prone to viruses, however, whichever route I choose shall be limited to BFD2 and other associated programs.  I will not be doing email, graphics, or general business items on it.  Also, being that I do Network Security for the US Navy, I'm pretty confident about my abaility to minimize PC vulnerabilities.  Also Macs are now being targeted for exploits as they become more popular (especially with their interface to the iphone), so they are not as invulnerable as they used to be.  My concerns with the Mac are threefold.  One, I am not familiar with the MAC operating environment and single button mouse (I use a trackball).  MAC OS IS EXTREMELY INTUITIVE AND EASY TO SWITCH TO!  IT ALSO HAS 2-FINGER CLICK, WHICH ACTS AS RIGHT-CLICK.  OR, YOU COULD USE AN EXTERNAL MOUSE/TRACKBALL.  Also, cost is a factor as Apples cost more than PCs.  Lastly, bandwidth throughput and latency is a concern and from what I am reading eSata is faster than firewire 800, although that remains to be seen.  TRUE, BUT FW800 IS PLENTY FAST... I HAVE BOTH ON MY MACBOOK PRO, AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH FW800.

But Aye appreciate the conversation.  I find everyone's opinions and thoughts very helpful as i have not yet made a final decision. 

I am now up to page 24 in the manual, and I am more confused than ever.  It seems I have to pick a mode (stand alone or plug in host) and then pick a player mode (edrummer or midi controller, which to me are the same thing).  I don't know if i can change these settings at a later time or not.   Arrrggghhhh!!!! Blast my lack of wits. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE PREFERENCES LATER, BUT ALL YOU ARE CHOOSING HERE IS ITS DEFAULT BEHAVIOR... YOU CAN EASILY USE AS A PLUG IN OR STANDALONE AT ANY TIME (YOU'LL WANT STANDALONE RIGHT NOW, I AM ASSUMING, UNLESS YOU'RE USING IT INSIDE ABLETON, ETC.)

Pyrate

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

In me never ending quest for knowledge, I visited me local Apple store yesterday.  I know that certain Windows based PCs are using the new quad core i3, i5 and i7 CPUs.  I had heard that Mac was also going to start using those chips as well and that they were supposed to be released this week.  The nice young wench at the Apple store had not heard about this, although she determined that the iMac had the option of upgrading to an i7.  However the iMac (as impressive as it is), is not exactly portable and the macbook pro does not have the option for the newer chip.  The Admiral would never approve the acquisition of a macbook pro using older technology, when for 1/4 of the price I can get a new HP that has an i5 with a 500 Gb, 7200 rpm hard drive and 4Gb of DDR3 RAM and a host of other features.  So it appears that HP it is, although HP only has a firewire 400 port.  I suspect I can get a third party expansion card with a firewire 800 port, although from what I am reading eSATA is faster.

Now that the choice of laptop is made, the next question is this.  My intent is to remove all extraneous software from that machine (such as Microsoft Works) and only keep what is essential to run BFD2 and internet (for registraion and update purposes).  Given that the new PC has a 7200 rpm, 500 Gb hard drive, should I still add an external HD as well, or should I run the entire mess inside the box?  Also, during setup, should I choose "edrummer" or "midi controller"?

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 12:35:16 PM »

Pyrate,

Midi controller.  However, understand that all you are choosing here (as I understand it) is the family of supported midi controllers that are "pre-loaded" for BFD2.  You'll still be setting up your own maps from scratch unfortunately.  In other words, not a big difference either way... moot point.  (I mean MOO point.  It's like a cow's opinion... it's MOO!)

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:01:19 AM »

Avast Thar Dude,

I should have expected a MOO point from a landlubber in Montana.  Shiver me timbers! 

I am still slowly taking in the BFD2 manual.  When I watched Mr. Wizard's video of setting up high hats in BFD2 it seemed so easy.  Now I be not so certain.  I'm sure I will have other questions as i continue to digest (and suffer the resulting indigestion) the BFD2 manual. 

I am also still trying to avoid the use of foot pedals for hats and kicks if I can.  Eventually I am going to get a Roland FC-300 to facilitate program changes.  I would also like to pick up a Bose L1 Model 2, but that may have to wait until the redneck retirement fund kicks in.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:09:58 AM »

Hey Pyrate,

I highly recommend the FC-300.  I bought one back in December and do not regret it at all.  It allows me to jump to different kits without my hands ever leaving the pads.  The only drawback is that if I am playing drum kit #1, which would be pedal #1, and want to change to #33, I cannot program pedal #2 to go to kit #33, I would have to arrow up with my foot until I get to pedal #33.  All I had to do was move kits around on my module so my most common kits are #1 through #10.  Just a heads up on that, but I am glad i got one. 

I am thinking that it would also be a solution to a problem I have read about regarding the Z4 model.  With the 3.1 chip, you can just arrow up on the pad on the back of the ZX to change programs, from what I have read, the Z4 adds an extra confirm step in the process, the foot controller goes straight to the module so your program changes are one foot tap and you are there. 

Another issue is that the FC-300 has no MIDI through port.  I could not hook the Zen to the MIDI in on the FC because it would not send the signal from the ZX to the module.  The FC would still change the kits on the module but would not send the signal through from the ZX.  I ended up buying a MIDI Merge Box from MIDI Solutions (through Guitar Center).  Now I have a separate input for the FC and one for the ZX with one out to the module.  Works perfect.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »

Hey Sticks,

Just an FYI. I am fortunate to use Roland TD-20 module which allows me to put kits into a chain and I use a Rolands FS-5U pedal to trigger a change of kit loaded on the chain. This is also done with one push of a button on the mocule if yoiu put it close to where you are playing on stage.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 01:15:41 PM »

Avast Thar Dude,

I should have expected a MOO point from a landlubber in Montana.  Shiver me timbers!  FYI, that's a quote from FRIENDS.  But yeah, lotsa cows here in land-locked MT!

I am still slowly taking in the BFD2 manual.  When I watched Mr. Wizard's video of setting up high hats in BFD2 it seemed so easy.  Now I be not so certain.  I'm sure I will have other questions as i continue to digest (and suffer the resulting indigestion) the BFD2 manual. 

I am also still trying to avoid the use of foot pedals for hats and kicks if I can.  Eventually I am going to get a Roland FC-300 to facilitate program changes.  I would also like to pick up a Bose L1 Model 2, Man, you will LOVE it.  Seriously, get 2.  The stereo thing is UNREAL with these.  You'll need at LEAST 2 subs per pole too... $$$ but that may have to wait until the redneck retirement fund kicks in.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »

Hey Pyrate,

I highly recommend the FC-300.  I bought one back in December and do not regret it at all.  It allows me to jump to different kits without my hands ever leaving the pads.  The only drawback is that if I am playing drum kit #1, which would be pedal #1, and want to change to #33, I cannot program pedal #2 to go to kit #33, I would have to arrow up with my foot until I get to pedal #33.  All I had to do was move kits around on my module so my most common kits are #1 through #10.  Just a heads up on that, but I am glad i got one. 
I have this pedal too, and it rocks.  Isn't there a mode that allows you to assign #2 to send PR #33?  I swear that was something I read... maybe I need to reread that damned manual.
I am thinking that it would also be a solution to a problem I have read about regarding the Z4 model.  With the 3.1 chip, you can just arrow up on the pad on the back of the ZX to change programs, from what I have read, the Z4 adds an extra confirm step in the process,TRUE! the foot controller goes straight to the module so your program changes are one foot tap and you are there. 

Another issue is that the FC-300 has no MIDI through port.  I could not hook the Zen to the MIDI in on the FC because it would not send the signal from the ZX to the module.  The FC would still change the kits on the module but would not send the signal through from the ZX.  I ended up buying a MIDI Merge Box from MIDI Solutions (through Guitar Center).  Now I have a separate input for the FC and one for the ZX with one out to the module.  Works perfect.  This is what I am doing too.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Okay, so I bought the new computer, which has an i5 intel cpu, 4 Gb of RAM, 500Gb HD, and an esata port, but no external HD yet.  The question is, with a lrge internal hard drive, should I even get an external?

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 09:14:52 PM »

Yes, you should.  It keeps the data stream (samples) free from any other operating memory... OS, BFD engine, etc.  As I understand it, you ALWAYS want your sample library on a dedicated drive separate from the operations of the system.

If you're looking for advice, I bought a Glyph 1TB drive.  It's rack-mounted, bulletproof, fan-cooled, and *gulp* PRICY.  But they are the industry standard kick-ass hard drives!

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 06:24:08 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

So I just purchased a Cavalry  1TB External HD with 32 MB Cache, Esata interface, ad nauseum.  Now I have to wait 9-15 days (with free shipping) to get this mess.  Any suggestions from this point?  Do I load the main BFD program on my local drive and keep the samples on the external (can I even do that?)?  Do I put the whole schmear (a nautical term) on the external?  This software business is very new to me.  Also What is this about running BFD2 within another program like Abelton or Reason or Protools or whatever?  I never get this lost at sea, that's for certain.  Arrrgghhhhh!!!!

Pyrate

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:54:27 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

So I just purchased a Cavalry  1TB External HD with 32 MB Cache, Esata interface, ad nauseum.  Now I have to wait 9-15 days (with free shipping) to get this mess.  Any suggestions from this point?  Do I load the main BFD program on my local drive and keep the samples on the external (can I even do that?)?  Yep, that's what you'll do.  Do I put the whole schmear (a nautical term) on the external?  No, just the data (samples).  When you install BFD2, it will ask you where to install the application (use default location) and then where you want the data... specify your ext drive.  This software business is very new to me.  Also What is this about running BFD2 within another program like Abelton or Reason or Protools or whatever? If you want to use external effect programs, you'll need to run BFD2 as a "plugin" within a "host" (think of it like a software version of a mixer, and using software versions of your rack-mounted effects, eq's, compressors, etc.)  I never get this lost at sea, that's for certain.  Arrrgghhhhh!!!!

Pyrate
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:57:05 PM by zendrumdude »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up