Zendrum Stuff > Tech Help

BFD2 Questions

(1/12) > >>

Pyrate:
Avast Thar Mateys,

Well, the Olde Pyrate has walked off the edge of the plank (what in Neptune's realm was I thinkin) and purchased a brand new copy of BFD2 from me local Guitar Center.  I started to read the the manual (180 pages worth) and by page 16 I was already developing a Moby Dick sized headache.  The only thing advanced with this olde salt is me age. That being said, here are some questions I have.  First, my intention is to purchase a separate computer to install this beasty on.  The question that is starting to befuddle the Olde Pyrate is which one?  My choices are a) a Windows base i5 core laptop with 4Gb of RAM and a 500 Gb internal hard drive and an eSata port, or b) a Macbook Pro with 4 Gigs of Ram and a 500 Gb hard drive or c) an iMac with similar specs to the Macbook or d) a Mac Mini with similar specs.  Obviously there are pros and cons to each.  Apples be generally more expensive than a Windows PC.  Then there is the concern of throughput from an external hard drive (i.e. eSata vs Firewire 800).  Also there is the learning curve for MAC as the Olde Pyrate is a Windows saillor.  I am attempting to get this new rig in place and playing as quickly as possible.

Any suggestions regarding computers and external hard drives, eSata vs Firewire 800, etc are cordially invited.  Anyone in the area that might be able to provide some assistance in setting this thing up (Mr. Wizard, do you here this?) would also be greatly appreciated.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
a very confused (easy at my advanced age) Pyrate

THUMPER:
Macbook Pro would be my choice since I have been on macs  for years. If i had my druthers  and some extra cash I would consider getting a solid state hard drive with it. They are a pretty expensive add on right now but should come down in price once they become mainstream. I am not familiar with the windows side but they seem to be more prone to viruses than Mac. Just my two cents worth Thumper

Pyrate:
Avast Thar Thumper:

I agree that PCs are more prone to viruses, however, whichever route I choose shall be limited to BFD2 and other associated programs.  I will not be doing email, graphics, or general business items on it.  Also, being that I do Network Security for the US Navy, I'm pretty confident about my abaility to minimize PC vulnerabilities.  Also Macs are now being targeted for exploits as they become more popular (especially with their interface to the iphone), so they are not as invulnerable as they used to be.  My concerns with the Mac are threefold.  One, I am not familiar with the MAC operating environment and single button mouse (I use a trackball).  Also, cost is a factor as Apples cost more than PCs.  Lastly, bandwidth throughput and latency is a concern and from what I am reading eSata is faster than firewire 800, although that remains to be seen.

But Aye appreciate the conversation.  I find everyone's opinions and thoughts very helpful as i have not yet made a final decision. 

I am now up to page 24 in the manual, and I am more confused than ever.  It seems I have to pick a mode (stand alone or plug in host) and then pick a player mode (edrummer or midi controller, which to me are the same thing).  I don't know if i can change these settings at a later time or not.   Arrrggghhhh!!!! Blast my lack of wits.

Pyrate

Zendrumdude:

--- Quote from: Pyrate on March 03, 2010, 09:31:33 AM ---Avast Thar Thumper:

I agree that PCs are more prone to viruses, however, whichever route I choose shall be limited to BFD2 and other associated programs.  I will not be doing email, graphics, or general business items on it.  Also, being that I do Network Security for the US Navy, I'm pretty confident about my abaility to minimize PC vulnerabilities.  Also Macs are now being targeted for exploits as they become more popular (especially with their interface to the iphone), so they are not as invulnerable as they used to be.  My concerns with the Mac are threefold.  One, I am not familiar with the MAC operating environment and single button mouse (I use a trackball).  MAC OS IS EXTREMELY INTUITIVE AND EASY TO SWITCH TO!  IT ALSO HAS 2-FINGER CLICK, WHICH ACTS AS RIGHT-CLICK.  OR, YOU COULD USE AN EXTERNAL MOUSE/TRACKBALL.  Also, cost is a factor as Apples cost more than PCs.  Lastly, bandwidth throughput and latency is a concern and from what I am reading eSata is faster than firewire 800, although that remains to be seen.  TRUE, BUT FW800 IS PLENTY FAST... I HAVE BOTH ON MY MACBOOK PRO, AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH FW800.

But Aye appreciate the conversation.  I find everyone's opinions and thoughts very helpful as i have not yet made a final decision. 

I am now up to page 24 in the manual, and I am more confused than ever.  It seems I have to pick a mode (stand alone or plug in host) and then pick a player mode (edrummer or midi controller, which to me are the same thing).  I don't know if i can change these settings at a later time or not.   Arrrggghhhh!!!! Blast my lack of wits. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN CHANGE PREFERENCES LATER, BUT ALL YOU ARE CHOOSING HERE IS ITS DEFAULT BEHAVIOR... YOU CAN EASILY USE AS A PLUG IN OR STANDALONE AT ANY TIME (YOU'LL WANT STANDALONE RIGHT NOW, I AM ASSUMING, UNLESS YOU'RE USING IT INSIDE ABLETON, ETC.)

Pyrate

--- End quote ---

Pyrate:
Avast Thar Mateys,

In me never ending quest for knowledge, I visited me local Apple store yesterday.  I know that certain Windows based PCs are using the new quad core i3, i5 and i7 CPUs.  I had heard that Mac was also going to start using those chips as well and that they were supposed to be released this week.  The nice young wench at the Apple store had not heard about this, although she determined that the iMac had the option of upgrading to an i7.  However the iMac (as impressive as it is), is not exactly portable and the macbook pro does not have the option for the newer chip.  The Admiral would never approve the acquisition of a macbook pro using older technology, when for 1/4 of the price I can get a new HP that has an i5 with a 500 Gb, 7200 rpm hard drive and 4Gb of DDR3 RAM and a host of other features.  So it appears that HP it is, although HP only has a firewire 400 port.  I suspect I can get a third party expansion card with a firewire 800 port, although from what I am reading eSATA is faster.

Now that the choice of laptop is made, the next question is this.  My intent is to remove all extraneous software from that machine (such as Microsoft Works) and only keep what is essential to run BFD2 and internet (for registraion and update purposes).  Given that the new PC has a 7200 rpm, 500 Gb hard drive, should I still add an external HD as well, or should I run the entire mess inside the box?  Also, during setup, should I choose "edrummer" or "midi controller"?

Pyrate

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version