Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 31  (Read 957 times)

coletones

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Build 31
« on: February 22, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »

What is build 31?  What are some of the differences I would see between Build 31 and the new Z4 electronics? 

Thanks mates.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Build 31
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:31:33 PM »

I assume you mean software version 3.1  It was the most recent version prior to Z4, and has been out for several years.

Here are some differences from Z4:
-Midi channel is set per SETUP, not per PAD.
-No trigger calibration feature
-No support of CC control
-Slightly different patch change procedure (some people have preferred the 3.1 over the Z4 for this one)
-Triggers slightly less sensitive (still excellent)

I have undoubtedly missed something.  I would guess you're looking at a Zendrum on eBay (wild guess: Zebrawood ZX?  ;)).  I used the 3.1 for many years and was extremely happy with it.  I have had the Z4 for several months now and am still getting used to it, but I do like it slightly better.

Hope that helps!

Jer

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:10 AM »

Hey, Just wanted to chime in here. Thanks Jer for all you do for us. With regards to Midi Channel per SETUP, not per pad. This feature allows us to be able to use diffrent midi channels to set up a note map allowing us to mix instruments. This is very cool and can not be done with the previous model. I have a setup where I have a piano scale (small on) as well as a tubular bell scale (small one) and my basic drum set up, all on one setup and I can move from instument to instrument without doing any adjustments. These other instruments transmit on another midi channel and could not be mixed per setup and now you can do it.  Wait til the audience sees that going on. The facial expressions are priceless.  :) ;) :D ;D :o :-\ :-[ :P ::)

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »

drshark Thank you for loaning the Inspector your TD-20. I am glad that the issue has been resolved!  David had said that he was going to let you use his DM10. How did you like it compared to the TD20? Thumper
Thumper

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »

Hey Thumper. I know you were waiting for the TD-20 fix. As far as the TD-20 and Alesis DM-10 comparison, he is what I think.

1) Cost- DM-10 better bang for the buck. Roland Module > $2K       DM-10 will probably be $600- $700 (according to 109)
2) User friendly- DM-10 easier to use for the Zendrum
3) Using crossfades and stacking sounds- DM-10 done without any problem- big problem with Roland
4) DM- 10 also has the capacity to function as a midi interface with computer. Not with Roland.
5) Quality of sounds- ( I also have the TD-20 with expansion board) I think the sounds are better with the Roland. Alesis sounds muddy and muffled. Cymbals much brighter with Roland( more $)
6) If you are a sound engineer and understand all the capabilities of the Roland- (You are my idol) and you can really tweak it out with some limitations.
7) With that being said, I may have grown accustomed to hearing the sounds of my module and that is my preference. This stuff is really personal preference.
8) I watched 109 with his Zendrum and that Alesis module and he kicked it and I was in AWE. He sounded wonderful and played outstanding.
9) It was great to see him so satisfied using that module and I think he is really happy with the way he set it up.
10) The Alesis module is a nice fit for someone who wants to get a good combo Zendrum and Module for about $2000.00
11) I hope this helps.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »

Rather confirms what I suspected after hearing the samples on the Alesis site.  I suppose I'll be sticking with my TDW-20 for a while longer.

I'm interested to hear what third-parties can do with the DM-10 though, once the "expansion" packs become available.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3
Pages: [1]   Go Up