Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brushes on the Zendrum  (Read 1540 times)

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
Brushes on the Zendrum
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »

I don't know if this has come up before, but I'm curious to know what people out there are doing to simulate brushes, especially on the snare drum. 

Thanks
Peebo
Stop waking up and start dreaming.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Re: Brushes on the Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

My TD-10exp has several nice brush sounds - snares, toms, cymbals; which I have tweaked to work with the Draken .  With the new Z4 chip, I can actually swipe a pad and get a realistic brush sweep sound.  I have set up a patch just for softer country songs needing brushes and occasional snare work.  Hpe this helps.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »

I have been trying to get an answer to get the sweeping brush sound out of my TD-20. What note or brush sound are you using. There are several types of snare hits with brushes but I have not been able to get the sweep sound. Would it be a different midi note with the Brush KIt?  What is your Z4 sensitivity set at I have mine at 9 to eliminate some crosstalk that I was getting in front of my setup Thanks for some answers Thumper
Thumper

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »

Just making sure I understood that right, does the Z4 chip allow for additional sounds by swiping across the pads?

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »

My floor Level is at 7.  I actually use a combination os several pads to create a sweeping brush sound. The sensitivity of the Z4 allows for me to lightly touch the edge of a pad, crating a soft brush sound, and by dragging my finger across it, the last pressure hit creates a louder brush sound.  Wehn combined just right, it is pretty close to a sweep.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

peebo

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »

So, basically, Z4 is just amazing... dang, I wish I had the money.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 02:37:09 PM »

Just making sure I understood that right, does the Z4 chip allow for additional sounds by swiping across the pads?

Whoa.  Hold on.

No.

It is a change in sensitivity degrees only.  Its not like it you rub a pad you get triggering and you certainly do not get additional sound.

Messing with the noise floor may get you lighter sounds, but it really comes out about like a Z3 with the floor way lowered.  Set the floor way low and all of your sensitivities on your module way high and that's about what a Z4 does (AT THAT LOW END OF CONTACT - the degrees of contact are vastly different).  Its not like brushing is a new sense module.  Its just a casual touch may trigger.

What you MIGHT be able to do is set a low end crossfade to be a different sound, but that's really not the idea.

It isn't that swiping is a new trigger.  Its that the triggers are sensitive enough that a swipe might trigger the sound.
Play nice.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »

Whoa.  Hold on.

No.

It is a change in sensitivity degrees only. 

Yeah, what he said.  All I know is that my Brush set-up 'sounds' and plays more realistically with the Z4 than my older Z3 did.  Sorry if I mis-represented the capabilities of the Z4 (which is awesome - get it now!).

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 08:20:04 PM »

I use brushes with my Zendrum.  I set up two or three pads; one for the sweep sound and two for the tap.  My DTX has a "brush sweep" voice in it and I just tap that pad in a swing rhythm to get that brush groove going on.  The other pads fill in the rest of the grease. 
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »

I wish that my TD-20 had that sound .  BFD has a sweep sound also. It is frustrating sometimes that the sounds you want are not in the same module.  I cannot wait to be able to load different sounds from different modules to make a drumset combining the best sounds  for the job. Inspector 109 since you are importing your wave files into Battery is this now possible in Battery software ? I have not played around with Battery  so I am not familiar with all that it can do. Thumper
Thumper

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

Thumper, are you using note #23 for the sweep?  That in conjunction with instruments #109-112 are the key to great brush sounds on the TD-20.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 02:46:55 PM »

Thumper, are you using note #23 for the sweep?  That in conjunction with instruments #109-112 are the key to great brush sounds on the TD-20.
I tried to make my note #23 but there is no sound on that note.  I know that it has to be there somewhere. thanks for the tip I will keep on trying Thumper
Thumper

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »

Sorry, I left out one crucial bit that may not be immediately obvious -- you need to enable "brush mode" on the kit before #23 will work.

From the main kit screen, hit F2 (func) then F3 (brush) and make sure the value is ON.   Now you should be hear a sweep when you hit a trigger that is set to note #23.  You'll need to have either snare drum #109 or #111 loaded up for it work though as those are the only two brushed snares.  I wished they would have added more brushed toms and snares to the expansion card, but really those two are pretty flexible once you start tweaking them.  Having only one brushed ride is the bigger challenge  :(

Personally I have a separate user setup on my Zen for use with brushes.  That setup uses more of the cymbal bows than my normal "sticks" setup does, and incorporates other articulations such as #23 (sweep) and #44 (hh foot) and also has more light percussion.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »

Thank you   ;D I now have a brush sweep Thumper I knew it was there.
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys: 

All this talk about brush sweeps has given the olde Pyrate perchance to use one of the remaining two working brain cells that he has.  Perhaps the fine folks at Zendrum could manage to put in a ribbon controller on the ZX.  This would allow for a brush sweep, not to mention other interesting sounds and effects (theremin and pitch bend come to mind).  How about it Inspector and Kim (I really have to come up with a proper Pyratical nickname for Kim).  What do you guys think?

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.
Pages: [1]   Go Up