Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: swishing brush sound on a td-20  (Read 1416 times)

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
swishing brush sound on a td-20
« on: January 25, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

I had posted this question a while back and thought I would try again. Has anyone figured out how to get the sweeping swish sound of brushes on a TD-20.  Thanks Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: swishing brush sound on a td-20
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

Avast Thar Thumper,

Alas, there does not seem to be a way to get a true swish sound on a TD-20.  However, to compensate, what I have done is edit a snare drum (using a different midi note number from my regular snare) and set it to a soft brush sound of lower volume and a slightly longer sustain.  It takes some messing around, but doesn't sound too bad.  I hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »

Pyrate you might have missed this.   You can get a swish sound following these instructions posted by DrumWagon

Sorry, I left out one crucial bit that may not be immediately obvious -- you need to enable "brush mode" on the kit before #23 will work.

From the main kit screen, hit F2 (func) then F3 (brush) and make sure the value is ON.   Now you should be hear a sweep when you hit a trigger that is set to note #23.  You'll need to have either snare drum #109 or #111 loaded up for it work though as those are the only two brushed snares.  I wished they would have added more brushed toms and snares to the expansion card, but really those two are pretty flexible once you start tweaking them.  Having only one brushed ride is the bigger challenge  Sad

Personally I have a separate user setup on my Zen for use with brushes.  That setup uses more of the cymbal bows than my normal "sticks" setup does, and incorporates other articulations such as #23 (sweep) and #44 (hh foot) and also has more light percussion.

Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »

Avast Thar Thumper,

That sounds interesting, but he refers to the "expansion card".  I don't have an expansion card in my TD-20.  But I will try this technique any.  Thanks for the info.

Fair Winds and following Seas,
Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »

The expansion isn't needed to use the brush features I pointed out -- they are all detailed in the original TD-20 manual, albeit in usual 'Roland speak'.  I was only lamenting that they didn't expand on the brush options within the expansion card.

I'm very interested to see what the Alesis DM10 is going to bring to the table.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

I managed to get to the swish sound.  It sounds kinda sucky to me.  And in the process I managed to screw up most of my pad settings for my brush kit, and probably all of the others as well.  Now I have to go back and reset everything.  Oh joy.  And of course the Admiral is insisting on giving me her night orders in the middle of all this.  Arrrrgghhhhh!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:08 PM »

And of course the Admiral is insisting on giving me her night orders in the middle of all this.

Thank God for midrates and Saturday sliders (after field day and fire drill of course)!
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2
Pages: [1]   Go Up