Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are there any plans/interest to make foot Zendrums?  (Read 1571 times)

Jessy

Are there any plans/interest to make foot Zendrums?
« on: January 23, 2010, 07:37:31 pm »

I'm not interested in the Zendrum for hands, but I would very much like to see the technology it uses in a product for the feet.  I'm just wondering if that's at all inline with what the company wants to do.  There's nobody else offering this that I know of.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Are there any plans/interest to make foot Zendrums?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:33:30 pm »

Sure, just place your Zendrum on the floor, take off your shoes and go to town!    ;D
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Jessy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »

They're not shaped properly for that.

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 11:38:28 pm »

There are several foot controllers out there that are built to be controlled by the feet.  I'm curious; the triggers on the Zendrum seem awfully small to be able to play feasibly with one's feet.  Have you considered something like a MIDI foot controller or some other device?  For what application would you be considering using a foot-operated Zendrum?
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Jessy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 11:44:29 pm »

There are several foot controllers out there that are built to be controlled by the feet.
Nothing that isn't a pedal.  The idea of using a pedal when you don't need to hit something vertical is dumb.  All it does is add bulk.  Plus, if I'm going to use a pedal, I'm not using anything lesser than the Trick Pro 1-V, and those are $350 a pop.  For a single trigger.  And then you need to pay for the trigger itself, on top of that.  No thanks.

I'm curious; the triggers on the Zendrum seem awfully small to be able to play feasibly with one's feet.
Not really.  I used 2x2 in. square canvases and they were awesome (the couple of them that I made, that worked, that is).  Except, I'm terrible at making triggers, and could never find a way to get them to consistently not trigger when foot pressure was released.  Still, slightly bigger might be better, but not by much.

Have you considered something like a MIDI foot controller or some other device?
There isn't anything I've ever heard of that is anything like this.

For what application would you be considering using a foot-operated Zendrum?
Electronic percussion, sitting down.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:46:30 pm by Jessy »

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 11:24:45 am »

Jessy,

I don't know how many of them you'd want, but I have been toying with this idea myself:

Are you familiar with the HansenFutz practice pedal?  

Company site: http://www.hansenfutz.com/
Review: http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1179
Cheapest price I found: http://www.zzounds.com/item--HNFFPP

Apparently they are light, small, indestructible, and inexpensive, and supposedly make a great trigger pedal with the addition of a simple drum trigger.  I think the pedal AND the trigger together cost around $50.  I am toying with putting several of them on a pedalboard along with an Alesis Trigger IO.  I envision all the wires either stapled down or run internally (if I decide to go with an actual manufactured pedalboard rather than making one).

Check 'em out!

Jer
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:30:28 am by zendrumdude »

Jessy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 11:56:07 am »

No, those don't fit the bill, for a couple reasons:

*The electronic triggering was an afterthought, so you're relying on on vibration to be carried through plastic, down to the trigger.  That means you have to be annoyingly deliberate and energy-wasting.  Granted, I haven't tried them myself, though, so I suppose that analysis is just theoretical – maybe it actually works in practice – but from that review (about picking up floor vibrations), it doesn't sound promising.

*You can't use your heel for anything.  When I had my aforementioned canvases set up (also with a Trigger|iO), I placed some at my heel, and others near the ball of my foot.  Now, a single solid Zendrum wouldn't likely work, for this, either, because of the variety of foot sizes that exist, as the feet can't adapt to different shapes of instruments the way hands can. However, using two Zen-foot-drums should solve that.  They'd just be lines of triggers, and you'd attach them to some kind of board, parallel to each other, with the space in between dictated by what is comfortable for you.

(Imagine this, only with the possibility of the front and back triggering different sounds.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:04:18 pm by Jessy »

Tom Roady

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 02:03:28 pm »

Zendrum did make one "very special" foot controller for Victor Wooten I believe....maybe a midi bass pedal..

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ROL-PK5A-LIST           

this is a Roland PK5 Midi Bass Pedal controller...this is about as close as you are going to get  "the mayor"

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »

Roland, Fatar  or some of the other Organ/Keyboard Foot Controllers would work. Think of an Organist in an Organ Jazz Trio playing Bass parts with their feet,

Check out Barbara Dennerlein, Jazz Organist. She plays all the Bass parts with her feet......very intricate and mesmerising when you see it live.. She released an album with Dennis Chambers. May be some clips of her on youtube.

Zendrum - Hands (Drums)
MIDI Footboard - Feet (Bass/Loops)
Singing

A lifetimes work just there...something I'm going to work on this year.

Mick
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:11:53 pm by MustangMick »

Jessy

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 05:11:31 pm »

I'm sorry, but I think it borders on blasphemy to suggest that I should use a MIDI foot controller on the Zendrum forum.  If it was an actual solution, everyone here would be using a keytar instead of a Zendrum.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:13:27 pm by Jessy »

Tom Roady

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

OK ..OK please explain yourself a little more...Blasphemy to consider discussing using any available tools to be creative with our Zendrums ?? We are one of the most opened minded forums on the webb...tools are tools....what you create musically with them is the only real thing that matters... a couple of questions...Do you own a Zendrum? and do you have a physical disability that you don't want to use a Zendrum like the rest of the forum?..and Nobody that I know on here would necessarily be using a Keytar...we are Zendrummers....but we are very much into the technology and tools to be musically creative...no offense...but I don't think you are sending us a clear picture of what you are wanting to accomplish...with all due respect "the mayor"

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »

Hey Jessy,
The triggers we make are not really made to strike with your feet.
We did make two footboards many years ago- One for Futureman, and one for brother Vic.
Both approached it in entirely different ways and for different reasons from one another, both have a different level of physical dexterity than I could ever imagine for myself. If I could ever make something I couldn't break in about five minutes, we'd consider it. My area of expertise is the big-mutha-foot-pound-stress-test.
Keep looking. If you want it, someone will provide it, or you will have to invent it.
I know this from experience...
David Haney
Zendrum Corp.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jessy

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »

If you want it, someone will provide it, or you will have to invent it.
I've never come across "If you want it, someone will provide it", in the musical instrument industry.  It's not profitable, because musicians in general are very backwards about the tools they use.  Look at how many people still play Stratocasters for a disgusting example of this.

I hate trying to make musical instruments, because I don't have any kind of background in hardware, nor am I very interested in it.  I do like software, but I still need something that the human body can use to interface with it.  However, I'm perfectly willing to give someone money to create something, if they can – I'd love to work with an appropriate R&D department.  From your response, I'm assuming that you guys can't do it.  Which is fine.  You have a lovely niche product.  Do you know anyone who can help me?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 06:46:54 pm by Jessy »

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »

Well, there's always room for everybody's opinion when it comes to music.
I love traditional drumset too. I only made the Zendrum because I didn't want to haul that drumset around.
I'm amazed that the drumset evolved in part because it allowed one person to do the work of four-
Four paychecks vs. One paycheck= easy math. I'm certain Leo Fender didn't envision Jimi Hendrix when he invented the Strat. Moog, while creating the modern electronic music industry, never imagined Keith Emerson or Yes. Theremin couldn't have imagined the Beach Boy's Good Vibrations.
What you have asked for is beyond my expertise.
I wish you success in finding what you seek.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jessy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 07:33:24 pm »

I love traditional drumset too.
Likewise!  But I don't want to play one that uses 55-year-old tech.  Things got better.  :)

I wish you success in finding what you seek.
Thanks!  And I wish success to the Zendrum Corporation!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up