Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZX Stand  (Read 1239 times)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
ZX Stand
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

Hey tribe,

Just wondering, has anyone made a stand or modified a guitar stand for their ZX?  I was thinking a regular guitar stand would work but not sure what modifications would be needed to make it work without actually going out and buying one.  I don't want to buy one and find out that it won't work for what I need it to do.  Any advice is appreciated.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: ZX Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:46:43 pm »

There is of course Mr. Emrich's classic approach:
http://www.zendrum.com/resource-site/stand.htm

For myself I picked up a $10 job locally (Ultimate Support Jamstand) and bent the two bottom prongs inward until they could comfortably cradle my ZX.  I then removed the 'rubber band' from the top portion and placed it on the bottom.  Works a treat, but a really would prefer something that could fold up more.  Here is the stand that I used:
http://www.dv247.es/assets/products/52386_l.jpg

Curious if any of those ultra-portable "pop-up" stands could work.  Or perhaps a violin stand?
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:46:30 pm »

I would stick with a guitar stand.  Violin stands are not meant to handle instruments as heavy as a Zendrum.

I've never had a lot of luck modding guitar stands, but I've used two that did the job quite well.  Here's the first:

http://zendrum.com/forums/index.php?topic=294.0

That one worked all right, but it was a bit bulky.  These days I swear by the Quick Lok QL-691:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=286&sName=QL-691

It's another guitar stand, but the two lower forks are completely adjustable.  No modding neccessary.

Only thing I change about the QL is I take a rubber band across that upper bracket to lock the tail in place.  Other than that, it's fine out of the box. 
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Tom Roady

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 02:11:42 pm »

We actually made a stand for the ZX in conjunction with Gibraltar...I don't know whether Zendrum still has any or if they are available...I know Kim and I have ours....I'll try to get a photo of it up here soon....I've found that by using one or two very adjustable multi clamps , I can get a pretty close angle to match how it lays when it is strapped on...much like a stand alone guitar stand where the guitar is in a position to walk up to and play. "the mayor"

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:17:24 pm »

Thanks for the help on the stand, I found one from Quikloc that will work perfectly that was provided to me by a link in this post from Jaay, thanks Jaay.  All of the pegs adjust up and down and rotate 360 degrees.  I will have to special order it and they don't take online orders so I need to go find a vendor that can order it for me.  GC doesn't deal with that company:(.  Anyway, thanks for the input,  I will post pics when I get one.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:49 am »

I use my 10 year old son.

"Hey, Spence, hold this  for a minute, would you?"
Play nice.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »

I would use my kids too if they would stand still long enough, plus their fake ID's don't really work to get them into the club.  The "I'm with the band" doesn't work like it used to.

Rob

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »

One thing to note about that QL stand: if you wind up adjusting yours like I did mine, then the way it ends up is that the triggers will face out, the strap-post will rest on the right-hand fork, the left-hand fork will support the nose, and the rest of the weight will be in the tail of the instrument resting against the upper bracket.  I have not had any problems with this but it's a little disconcerting to see at first, so I thought I'd share.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 08:20:43 am »

I would use my kids too if they would stand still long enough, plus their fake ID's don't really work to get them into the club. 

In all seriousness, I've never had problems bringing my son to a club.  I call ahead of time, explain I have to bring him along.  I've never been turned down.  At some places he gets a "do not serve" bracelet.  He usually becomes almost our mascot and all the waitresses want to hang with the cute kid and bring him snacks and stuff.

If you honestly want your kids at a show, it usually isn't a problem.
Play nice.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:38:08 am »

Finally found someone that carries the QL-691bk stand online.  It was only $35 with shipping in case anyone is interested.

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/QUIKLOK_QL691_GUITAR_STAND_.html

Thanks for the heads up Jaay.  I just ordered mine today and should get it in about a week.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up