Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparing for new arrival  (Read 2144 times)

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
Preparing for new arrival
« on: October 27, 2010, 08:29:52 PM »

I've read all the threads from would-be owners and now that I'm in that club, it's starting to take on a new urgency. (My ZX ships next week!)
My opening question is simple. Is there a "popular" configuration for the ZX? Rather than re-invent the wheel, I  think it makes sense to start with some kind of tried-and-tested layout and learn that. Obviously, if there are pad allocations that don't work for the individual, they can change them. But since the instrument has been around for a while,surely there's some consensus on an optimal layout, just like most acoustic kits are laid out in a predictable fashion - albeit tweaked to individual needs and tastes.
And apologies in advance if this question in naive. Please go easy on me...

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Re: Preparing for new arrival
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:52:59 PM »

Congratulations on your purchase!  Welcome to the tribe!

Your ZX will have 16 user setups, all of of which are user editable.  The last two (15 and 16) are "suggested" drum setups.  These are good ones to start with until you get a feel for how YOU want to do things.

You can also download the manual now while you're waiting for it to arrive.  This includes some of the user setups and layouts.
http://zendrum.com/downloads.html

Be sure and poke around the main Zendrum site too.  There's tons of info tucked away here and there.  One item that helped me out very early on were the videos relating to what many of us refer to as the "one-handed groove".  David Kuckhermann was the first person I saw detail this.  He's got that video plus more on his site:  http://www.framedrums.net/zendrum/

HTH

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:54:13 PM by DrumWagon »
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:28:58 AM »

Congrats on your ZX, welcome to the tribe!!

Here is what I did to figure out what my layout would be that would work best for me.  I just placed my hands on a table top, or used my stomach or front of my thigh, put on a nice groove type song, and watched/felt where and what my hands did naturally for the snare, kick, and hats.  Not just tapping with the whole hand, but using the fingers.  Which finger would touch and in which direction when the song hit the snare, kick, and HH.  I guess it is similar to tapping on the steering wheel when you are driving down the road jamming to a great song.  I tried all of the suggested setups, but none of them worked for how my hands wanted to go.  I use my right thumb to alternate between kick and snare, and use my right ring finger and pinky for the HH.  I posted a pic in this thread of where my sounds are at and my main three pads.  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0 and have the older 3.1 chipset.  I use the software to setup my cross fade sounds instead of the feature on the Zen.  Apparently, the Zenedit program will give you more flexibility with the new Z4 chip which should be what you are getting when it comes to cross fades.  Some of the other Zendrummers out there have tried my setup and they have adapted to the suggested mapping and have been using it for so long, my layout just didn't work for them.  My suggestion, find a layout that is natural for the way you play instead of forcing your hands to learn how someone elses setup is.  That was part of the fun when we got together in Atlanta, everyone was different in some way shape or form, we all had different setups but in some aspects they were the same too.  Crazy!!  Have fun with it and remember there are no naive questions, we are here as a tool for you to excel in this new stage of your adventure in playing music.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Tom Roady

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:57:42 AM »

Welcome to the Tribe Allan...we know you are going to love your new ZX  "the mayor"

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Welcome to the Zendrum Tribe.  A fine bunch of Pyrates they be all around.  And ye will find they will try their best to answer ye with any questions ye may have.  Arrgghhh!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome.
This is the difficult part - watching the package crawl on its way to Australia, seemingly spending an inordinate amount of time taking in the atmosphere of various FedEx facilities around the globe.
While the ability to track freight has its advantages, it is no blessing to the impatient! Roll on Monday....

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »

Welcome to the ZD world!
A note of caution once it arrives..... take a deep breath, relax, and don't get overwhelmed with the almost infinite possibilities in setups, modules, settings and on and on ad nauseum! I did.... and put it down to gather dust for 6 months. I couldn't wrap my head around it, there was so much to learn in addition to drumming. It's a percussion instrument, certainly vastly different than playing a kit... at least for me. Thankfully I picked it back up and pushed on, learning as I went. Eventually I had enough to feel a little comfortable gigging, and then playing regularly in a band.
Since then, I  have played the zendrum exclusively, spending 3 years with one band (ending this December) and the current band I am in wanted me because of the zendrum! And, I am still learning, tweaking, changing setups for different songs even! As they say, it's not just about arriving at your destination, but the journey itself that can be lots of fun!
Enjoy!
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

You are so right Randtor about the tweaking part.  I was in a band that played the Aerosmith version of come together, I had to do a whole new setup to go from open HH with the roll into the roll down the toms.  That setup is exclusively for that one song.  I have another setup which is only Santana songs like Black Magic Woman, heavy on the percussion but not so much on the snare and kick, but I have the kick and snare ready on other pads for the heavier parts in the song.  I am constantly adding and taking out percussion on various drums, like a tambourine when I hit the snare, or 16ths on the tambourine along with the HH.  It depends on what you as the drummer want to add on to in the song.  I do know there are more possibilities with add on percussion parts with the Zendrum than you would ever be able to do on a kit.  I have had the comments of how I sound like two drummers, a percussion player and a kit player all rolled into one, too bad don't get paid for two.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »

Rob, thats exactly what I'm talking about. I am going to spend the day today watching football (it is cold, dreary and overcast here in New England, a perfect indoor day!) and tweaking the zendrum. I'v been using ZenEdit, but can't get it right yet, trying to overlay percussion on my pads. Once I finally figure that out, imagine the unlimited realm of possibilities for drums and percussion all at once. Especially if you can get the one hand groove going (w/HH on a snare hit, perhaps cymbals at the hardest hit setting, on the bass drum).. I mean really... this is almost like opening christmas presents every day.  It's my own version of Forest Gump..."llike a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get" !

Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 01:56:40 PM »

I think I have a great setup, at least it works for me.  I am able to do everything you mentioned with the one handed groove with my right hand and percussion with my left.  I use the palm of my hand to hit the kick and the crash at the same time.  I know Dr. Shark has layered his to play the kick and crash on the same pad.  I added a muted crash and kick on a pad to get those simulated crash and grab hits, I don't use it very often, but it is there if I need it.  I am using software so I (for now) don't have a need for the Zenedit program, that plus I don't have a Z4 yet.  I play a church gig every weekend and they give me 6 new songs per week, that is why I am always tweaking my Zen.  Please post a video when you get your setup the way you want it, I am always looking at what others are doing to see if it can enhance my own setup.

Rob

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:58:00 AM »

The Zendrum finally arrived - actually, I had to go to FedEx to fetch it because it arrived too late in the day for delivery and I wasn't going to wait until tomorow.
I plugged it in and played for about three hours - my fingers and wrists are now officially sore! But I still have not clue about what I'm doing. I do realise I'll have to reassign some triggers because the standard layout doesn't quite make sense for me..
Watch this space.
Pages: [1]   Go Up