Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enabling cymbal choking in BFD/BFD2  (Read 814 times)

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
Enabling cymbal choking in BFD/BFD2
« on: January 13, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »

I've written a simple plug-in that can convert specific CC messages into NOTE ON ones.  This plug-in is specific to Reaper.  If you're married to another DAW or VST host then it won't work for you, but if you already use Reaper, run BFD in standalone mode, or are flexible with your hosts, then I'm sure you'll find it useful.  To use it, simply place it in your effects loop above your other VSTs so that it filters the MIDI messages before they reach BFD2.  The default settings should provide instant gratification. :)

Feel free to download and use it:  http://nebiru.com/drumWagon/page.cfm/ReaperJS
Hope you find it as useful as I have.

-darin
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Enabling cymbal choking in BFD/BFD2
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:56:01 AM »

Hey DrumWagon,
Thanks for the plug-in download.
That's a vey cool page you've got working.
I enjoyed your site very much!
btw- you should also check out Open Labs' Soundslate.
One rack space, monster specs.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »

That's an interesting unit.  Have you played with one yet?  Specifically with BFD2?  The specs on it seem a little underpowered.

Also I worry about the ambient noise of a 1u enclosure.  These appear to essentially be blade servers with an e-mu sound card slapped on.  Those tiny little case fans likely spin like bats outta hell.

Overall looks like a pretty solid solution though.  Much more affordable than a Receptor2, and probably better than whatever pricing the V-Rack will emerge with.
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »

Not yet. I have been hearing about this from several reliable sources.
I like the 1 space size, but I see what you mean about heat issues and possible fan noise. We'll see.
It's headed in the right direction, though. You can upgrade the ram and drives to get pretty beefy specs.
Maybe one day someone will knock it off for $300 street price and it will fit in my gigbag pocket.
(you know that's probably coming up the road soon...)
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up