Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordered my new Zendrum  (Read 2644 times)

spundun

Ordered my new Zendrum
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:30 AM »

I have ordered a Z1-09 with integrated wireless. It's slated to be shipped on 2/11/11 so should be here by 14th.

David suggested I buy MIDISport uno to hookup the MIDI to my macbookpro. On Amazon I searched for it (I prefer buying from amazon) and that product was not reviewed well, on the other hand a slightly cheaper E-MU Xmidi 1x1 usb MIDI adapter is rated very well at 4.5 stars out of 85 reviews. So I'm thinking of getting that adapter.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with that adapter?

Thank you
Spundun

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Re: Ordered my new Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »

Congratulations and welcome to the tribe!!!

I own two UNO's and a Fast Track Pro MIDI to USB adapters.  I have been using my UNO for almost a year and have never had a problem.  I am using a MacBook Pro as well and have always used the UNO.  I just recently got the Fast Track Pro and it gives you only one input for MIDI, just like the UNO but allows you to plug a mic and a guitar or keyboard into your computer as well.  The UNO is small and easy to use, no knobs or adjustments, just plug it in and go.

I can't comment on the E-MU XMIDI because I have never used it.  I paid $50 for the UNO at Guitar Center in March of 2010, got a second one just in case, but have never needed to use it.

What sound software on the MacBook are you planning on using when you get your ZX?  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0.  I run it through GarageBand on the MacBook.  One more question, where do you live?  Maybe there are other Zendrummers near you that you can get together with to swap ideas on playing and setups.  I live in St. Louis but on the Illinois side of the river.

Hope this helps,

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

spundun

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »

What sound software on the MacBook are you planning on using when you get your ZX?  I am using Superior Drummer 2.0.  I run it through GarageBand on the MacBook.  One more question, where do you live?  Maybe there are other Zendrummers near you that you can get together with to swap ideas on playing and setups.  I live in St. Louis but on the Illinois side of the river.

Thanks Rob.

I live in Los Angeles, 10 minutes from LAX airport. I so wanted to try a zendrum before I bought one, but didn't see any tribesmen here from LA.

I plan to use GarageBand to start with. Once I get a hang of it I plan to choose whether to get a new macbook air or just get the new iLife upgrade. I currently have a 4 years old mcbookpro so my decision will be based on the performance of that old beast. The new GarageBand seems to have a lot of drum kits and asian sounds which I'm interested in.(particularly sounds close to tabla and dhol).

Spundun

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »

You should look into Superior Drummer.  The drums in GarageBand are ok, but when you hear the articulations that you can get with SD2, your jaw will drop.  Mine did.  I was using a Roland TD-6V for my sounds, it came with my electronic kit, and I was happy with that.  But "The Mayor" on this forum Tom Roady introduced me to SD2 and the MacBook.  My jaw dropped.  I couldn't believe the realistic sounds I was getting. You can hear the snares buzz when you hit the toms.  GarageBand drums would be a great starting point because investing in more software can get expensive.  I played my TD-6V for about a year and it allowed me to get proficient on my ZX, and now with SD2, my playing has gone to another level.

I know there are a few other Zendrummers in California, not sure their exact location to LAX, but hopefully others will post their location.  I started a new thread just for that.  Feel free to ask any other questions, everyone on the forum is here to help.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »

Just on VSTs - you really don't have to go top-of-the-line. I'm currently reviewing two "entry-level" VSTS - EZdrummer and BFD Eco, and both are excellent, especially for Zendrums. Both come with limited sounds, but are expandable with additional sound packs and both have upgrade paths to their bigger siblings if you really need all the bells and whistles. Full review in the May digitalDrummer.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:21:26 AM »

Digital Drummer is right, I know "The Mayor" likes EZdrummer, he has SD2 but uses EZ more than the other.  If you want to spend a little less, go with the entry programs, you still get the same dynamics and can expand when you are ready, if you need to.

Rob

spundun

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:35 PM »

Thanks all of you. Right now my first decision has to be MIDI usb adapter. I'm leaning towards e-mu. Since noone has reported anything negative, I'll give it a try. My Z1-09 should be shipped tomorrow, so I think I should order the usb adapter now.

I'll see how far garage band takes me. My macbook pro is a 4 y/o intel core2 duo (2.33 GHz) 2GB Ram with snow leopard installed. Diskspace is scarce right now but that can be rectified. I'm not sure if this platform is adequate for EZ Drummer/SD or any such modules. My Garage band is also the old iLife bundled, meaning 4 years old. I will have to think about whether the new EzD/SD/iLife will run smoothly on this old computer. Because if I buy EZD and then if I need another computer to run it, I don't know if I'll have to buy it again for the new computer either.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Aye have been considering the idea of a new macbook pro meself.  Aye can acquire a 13" duo core 2.33 macbook pro with 4GB RAM and a 250 GB HD for under $1K of me pyrate booty.  Aye also have EZ Drummer and use a presonus usb audio interface.  Aye contracted the fine folks atToontrack (the makers of EZDrummer) and they told me that indeed I may install EZ Drummer on a new computer if I so desired.  So ye have nothing to worry about there.  But be warned, shipmate, that 2GB of RAM may not be enough to run software based instruments without delays, clipping, dropouts, etc.  4Gb be the minimum, 6-8 would even be better.  Also use an external 7200 rpm hard drive or external solid state drive.  That will assit ye immensly.  Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »

Toontrack will allow you to install all of their products and all of the add ons on up to 4 computers without needing a new authorization.  They are very easy to work with if you install it 4 times and you need an additional authorization, just contact them and let them know what happened or what you are trying to do, and they will work with you.  I am thinking that as Pyrate said, 2GB is not going to be enough.  I am not sure how old "The Mayors" MacBook is, but he is running EZdrummer on it and I want to say it is only a couple of years old.  Feel free to jump in Mayor and give Spundun some info on what you are running on you MacBook.  GarageBand will work great but it has limitations, that is why I would go with EZ or SD2 because it gives you more options in the realism of your drum sounds.  Good Luck with your setup, let us know how it works.

Rob

digitalDrummer

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:57:42 PM »

One thing lacking in EZdrummer is MIDI mapping, so it's a bit harder to get a range of articulations. BFDeco, on the other hand, gives you quite a lot of control over the MIDI mapping and besides being able to choose from a range of input options, you can also assign things like drags and sidestick quiet easily

spundun

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »

My new Z1-09 with wireless, is HERE!

The zebrawood instrument looks stunning. After a couple of confusions, I was able to hook up tha wired steup to garage band on my macbookpro. It worked but the built-in speakers sucked, so I had to attach my klipsch iFi (basically computer speakers with an iPod dock) and then it was great.

I'll get a couple of 12v batteries to tryout the wireless setup which will be a lot more convenient. I can't wait to get good at this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up