Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Z4 demo, can anyone help?  (Read 3489 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Z4 demo, can anyone help?
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »

Hey tribe.

I'm at the point where if I wanted to get the Z4 upgrade for my instrument, it's within reach, but just like when I bought my instrument, I need some empirical evidence before I shore up my plans.

If there's anyone with a Z4-caliber instrument and an older module like an Alesis or an older Yamaha, could you perhaps post a link or PM me with a track of you playing said instrument through said module? 

David, I believe you wholeheartedly when you say the Z4 upgrade works with older modules, but I'd really like to hear a sample before I take the jump.

Thanks folks,  looking forward to hearing (from) you.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Z4 demo, can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

Jaay,

I can assure you, it will absolutely work with any midi module.  I have used my Z4 with all kinds of old crappy modules... oldest being a Roland TD7.  It doesn't change anything about the midi aspect of the instrument; it's all about how the trigger information is handled.  It feels REALLY live!

Jer

pearly

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:26:08 PM »

Zendrumdude,
I see you use the Bose L1 system.  What do you think about it?  I just sold my EV SXA-250's and I'm looking at something lighter.  Always been confused on the Bose systems as to whether I need two.  Also there is the mod 1 vs. mod 2 question.  Any guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pearly

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:53:17 AM »

Jaay,

I guarantee you that it will work with any MIDI module you use, the Zendrum when it is all said and done is simply a MIDI controller.  It is no different if you are using a TD-6V module with the older 3 series chip, or the new Z4 chip, it will still send that MIDI signal to your module and trigger that sound that is assigned to that MIDI number.  I am getting mine upgraded next week and I assure you, if there was any doubt that it would or wouldn't work with any module I plug it into, I would NOT be getting the upgrade.  The advantages to getting the upgrade is now you can add up to 6 more triggers, and it is more sensitive in response.  There are other features in how you can set up your Zendrum now as well within the programs, like the save function, and you can get the Zenedit program and really use the crossfade function if you are using a module.  I can't see any reason not to get the upgrade.  I was a little hesitant myself, but after our gathering last August, and hearing and seeing the new Z4 chip that some others had (and some persuasion by Inspector 109), I am going to just do it. I am not nervous at all, it will work with whatever I hook it up to and it will work flawlessly.  JUST DO IT!!!!!

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »

I also use the Bose system and i think it is great. It is really clean and you can hear everything. Most of the time I am putting 4 vocal mics,bass,guitar and my Zendrum and it is really clear and plenty loud for the small to medium places I play. It separates into 3 pieces and none of the pieces weigh more than 25lbs. I reccommend at least 2 of the subs and some times In the bigger clubs when it is just me in the system I will use a QSC K series sub that gives me the bass thud I have been looking for. I fully reccommend this way to go Setup is less than 15 minutes. Hope this helps Thumper
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

The Bose is a mono speaker that fills the room with its wide dispersion and you set it up behind you so it is your monitor and main speaker. What you hear 4-6 feet in front of them it is almost the same volume 60 feet away. I use only one and it did not take long for me to adjust to not having the stereo sound that I was used to with my Mackie 450's. Thumper
Thumper

pearly

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 03:55:42 PM »

Thumper,
Thanks for the update.  My biggest fear with the Bose L1 was whether I needed 1 or 2.  Which model do you use?  mod 1, mod 2, compact?  I'm also looking at a Traynor K4 as a possible stage amp/ monitor.  I've been a Roland guy for along time, but I heard a guitar player playing a GT10 through this Traynor and boy was it sweet!

Pearly

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:17:29 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Aye just looked at a Roland KC-150 Amp/Monitor.  It sounded very nice indeed.  Aye also demo'd a Bose L1 Compact (video to be posted soon.  It too sounded very nice, but at more than twice the price of the KC-150 Aye think IAye may go for the Rolnad. Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

I only use one a Model II with 2 sub speakers and the T1 mixer.  It gets plenty loud  and the bass is good for small to medium rooms. I will sometimes set up my 2 Mackie 350's with a QSC K series sub if I want to get really loud. Thumper
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »

Pyrate I would NOT reccommend the Bose compact. It is more for singer/songwriters acoustic guitars and mic. Have you looked at the QSC K series they have little amps 8"10" 12" and that pack a real punch and you could always add the K sub later. I have been eyeing the 10" meself. I also will take my Mackie 350 or 450 by themselves to practice and sometimes small gigs. Happy New Year Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »

Avast Thar Thumper,

My appreciation to you sir for the fine advice.  The Bose is out of me price range at the moment.  However, Aye did manasge to convoince the fine folks at the local best buy to knock a Ben Franklin off the price of the Roland KC-150.  THey did, so Aye acquired the Roland KC-150.  It sounded very good to me olde ears and should perform in the open mike nights that Aye tend to go to when Aye am in the mood for some public ridicule.  But Aye thank ye anyway.

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »

Zendrumdude,
I see you use the Bose L1 system.  What do you think about it?  I just sold my EV SXA-250's and I'm looking at something lighter.  Always been confused on the Bose systems as to whether I need two.  Also there is the mod 1 vs. mod 2 question.  Any guidance you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pearly

Pearly,

Sorry bro, my forum attendance has been spotty of late...

I LOVE the Bose L1.  I have a pair of Model 1s, with 2 subs each (4 total.)  Here are some considerations:

-I rarely use both, but when I do, WATCH OUT.  AWESOME coverage and sound!  On many occasions I have used this pair as a full rock band's ONLY PA gear, covering both mains and monitors.  I love it, but rarely need it.
-The Bose subs don't really cut it for drums if you're "stompin'".  Jazz gigs in small venues, sure.  But if you wanna ROCK, you'll need more.  I have a pair of Mackie 600w 15s that are such a great match for the Bose tops.  I also use an outboard crossover to get the crossover point at 80hz.
-I have not heard the Model II, but am bummed that it doesn't have the mixer like the Model I.  I dig the smaller footprint though.
-The Compact is NOT what you want.  It's not at all comparable to the L1.  I was sorely disappointed in it when my buddy got one.

I hope that helps!

Jer

pearly

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

Thanks, Jer.  This is just the info I needed.  I listened to all three Bose models.  What I was after was more the size of a compact, but as you pointed out, this really isn't suitable for a Zen.  My band mates have a pretty good PA and we use an Aviom in ear monitor system.  In desperation I decided to look at alternatives.  I finally decided to go in an entirely different direction. 

I happened to hear a guy playing an old beat up Martin using a GT10 through a Traenor K4 keyboard amp.  I was blown away with the sounds the guy was getting out of the amp.  I convinced him to let me hook up my SPD-20 through it and man the sounds were sweet!  Sure, its 50 lbs to lug around, but I just couldn't duplicate the sound from anything else I've listened to.  Anyway, I was able to get a very lightly used K4 from a guy on eBay for $650.00.  I used it this weekend with my acoustic setup in a small gig and it worked great.  My ZX is due to be delivered tomorrow and I can hardly wait to try it out with the K4.  I am a happy camper.

Pearly

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

One thing that I have found, I went the keyboard amp direction as well and the problem I had was unless it was a small venue, the keyboard amp was usually close to the floor and would not "throw" the sound out into the crowd like a guitar amp can.  Unless you are going to go through the PA for them medium to large venues, you will need to elevate your amp.  I am selling mine and went out and purchased some powered JBL's and they work ok, but I am looking at trading up in this ever evolving setup I have to get something with a sub to really give that punch from the kick.  Just FYI, keyboard amp will work good for small venues or for a stage monitor, but you may have to go through the PA or get something that is elevated for larger gigs.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 03:42:14 AM »

Avast Thar Shipmates,

Regarding elevating the keyboard amp, Aye purchased an amplifier stand with a built in mic attachment.  It be the perfect choice as the Roland KC-150 fits in perfectly and the tube for the mic stand is sturdy enough for me Roland TD-20 and associated bracket.  Me next project will be to build a laptop stand to go atop the mic stand tube.  Methinks this will raise the amp off the floor sufficiently to reach the folks in any audience Aye might play.  Of course for larger venues Aye would also recommend a PA system of some kind.  Aye tested an EON, but Aye didn't like the sound that came out of it.  It be not crisp enough for me.

Pyrate
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up