Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Birthday Present....  (Read 1554 times)

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
My Birthday Present....
« on: January 01, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »

Well today's my birthday - 1/1/58!!  And in celebration, I'll be sending the Draken off to David for some elective surgary. 

I'll be having my MidiJet Pro wireless unit internally planted, and a volume knob installed.  I am so looking forward to only having one battery to change, and no midi cords working their way out during a gig.  Plus I'll be able to use my other 2 straps interchangable now that I won't have the Battery Pack and MidiJet taped to the strap.

Pictures will follow the end of Jan.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: My Birthday Present....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:37 PM »

Happy Birthday, dood.  You'll enjoy the internal wireless... it's great!  And the batt life will astound you.

Jer

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 05:26:50 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Happy Birthday tidings to you shipmate.  I lift a flagen of Capt. Morgan in your honor!

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

arunkumarrr

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »

Belated birthday wishes.. Where are the pictures dude?

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:59:35 AM »

Belated birthday wishes.. Where are the pictures dude?

David and Kim are still working on it.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

OK all, here are the promised pictures of the Draken upgrade to internal wireless and volume knob.

Here is the volume knob.  The knob is easy to adjust, does not drift out of position, and has a lot of sensitivity on the low end.  Remember it is is adjusting the Zen's output, not your module putput, therefore the higher your module output is set at, then the wider the range of overall control.  I have found that at church, I need to set my module up a bit higher, and the volume knob around 1/4 - 1/2, and then throughout the service, adjust higher as the sound person tweaks me down in the FOH.

Here is the internal battey box.  This is so very cool!  The single 9V battery has lasted over 6 hrs of play time so far during rehersals.  Not having the external battery box, wireless midi, multiple batteries and cables to deal with is such a blessing.  Thank you 109 team for finally getting this option.

So how do they fit the MidJet Pro into the Zendrum?  Well as luck would have it, the antenna wire had come off of my unit, and after several frustraing days of only having a range of 10 ft, the Inspector and I spent some quality time together on the phone to trouble shoot and repair the DrakenWARNING - Do NOT attempt to open up your Zendrum without the express authorization of the Inspector, as this my void your warranty.   I have been into the belly of the beast before as 109 had me change out a Z4.2 board for the Z4.3 board last year.

Some more wood was carved out next to the Z.4.3 board, and the modified MidiJet Pro unit and stacked circuit boards are installed in this area.  More wires run off to the internal battery/switch.  You can see the gold end of the antenna wire near the bottom not connected.  The antenna wire reinstallation was delicate but successful.

Here is another open surgary picture.  Putting cable connectors back on can result in strange results for the Zendrum.  Took me three attempts to get everything correctly reconnected with good solid connections before the Draken was flying again.  Kudo's to 109 for his excellant support, especially since he was engrossed in the Oscars.

I have a wirless range of over 100 ft, through walls with no dropped notes.  I highly recommend this upgrade to anyone who is serious about being cable free.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 03:32:23 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Great photos.  Methinks Aye would still option for an external wireless box, just incase Aye would need to use the wireless option on something else.  Me strap on the Jolly Roger Zen has elastic bands built in that are the perfect size for the Chris DeHaas battery box and Midi Jet transmiitter.  Just me humble opinion.  Although, Aye admit the internal solution sure looks ship shape and bristol.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 04:08:06 AM »

Currently I am using velcro to attach the MIDIJet wireless box to the battery box, and just use the clip from the battery box on my strap.  I have not had any issues with it falling off yet and have been playing it that way since April 09.  Great pics, I really like the on off switch and the way the battery goes into the ZX.  Zendrum has done an outstanding job with this upgrade and I am looking forward to getting mine done.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 09:43:50 AM »

This is going to sound strange...  but I had played my Zendrums wired for so many years that when I finally got my wireless internal (I did it myself circa 2004; I believe it was the first one ever!), when I would turn it on and those happy little lights would start flashing WITHOUT being plugged in, it seemed like magic.  Kinda like if you had your sprinkler detached from the hose, but water still sprayed out... or something like that  :)

I just love the sleek and simple internal option without stuff strapped to my strap.  By Pyrate has a good point... I can't very well use my wireless on another of my instruments at this point!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up