Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: zendrum/td20/muse connection question  (Read 3009 times)

marktec1

zendrum/td20/muse connection question
« on: October 20, 2006, 01:10:01 PM »

hi all

i am in the process of deciding on the purchase of another sound module (currently using a d4)..

in consideration is a td20 - i have had a roland td20 kit so the intimidation factor is near zilch..  and the td20 has 8 outs (for independent control of 8 sounds - kick, sn, hh, tomLeft, tomRight, ride, crash1, crash2.. ) i like that flexibility..

but then there is the muse with all its great sound banks available - i now hear john e is putting out a unit that is all set up for zdrumming - great news and eliminates my major concern for that approach - intimidation

but does the muse have the same (or similar) individual outs so as to allow for independent control of those sounds??

john - when will  it be available and how much $$$

sounds wonderful..

bob casale
riverside, ri

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Re: zendrum/td20/muse connection question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »

We are looking at having the new version of the Receptor up and for sale in the middle of November.  The price of the unit will be around $2999.00.  Keep in mind that the price includes a Receptor that has been loaded with 2 gig of RAM  and a 160 gig drive (larger drives are available), the BFD Engine, and the Jazz & Funk and Percussion expansion packs.   A Receptor is normally priced at $1699, add $400 for the RAM and $800 for the software.   A fully loaded vdrum kit comes in at around $5000.00, and I'll put my Zendrum/Receptor up against that anytime.

The unit will be loaded with presets to helps you get started, and we will have video tutorials for additional help.  We plan on using our full video production studio for addressing questions and topics with video tutorials.  We will also have videos on installing the other BFD expansion packs, since each one is a little different.  To me, that will be better than just a post on a forum.  When you add up all of these features and the cost involved with getting the products, you will see that this is a realistic price.

I wish that this approach was cheaper to get started, but when you factor in the cost of future upgrades (software is cheaper than a new module) you can see that it will even out in the end.  The big difference is that this system is not limited to the box itself.  How many times have you heard about a promised upgrade by leading manufacturers, only to be disappointed, time and time again. 

My main goal is to share things that I have been developing with the edrumming community.  As Zendrummers, we embrace new things better than most.  If the entire community can grow, we will all be better off!

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

marktec1

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 03:53:09 PM »

john,

thanks for the reply so quickly.. if  this muse/bfd combo comes with a.) presets for the zen (helps reduce the learning curve) and b.) with all the documentation you are referring to, and if any of that documentation is related directly to the zendrum - then it is  well worth it.. i will have  to start  saving my pennies.. please keep us all  posted as to the status of  your muse project...

also, is there a  way to get multiple outs fromthe muse  (like the td20) so you can record separately - the individual sounds -  to gain more  control in a postproduction environment??

thanks again

bob casale

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:16:10 AM »

The Receptor has an adat out.  Combined with the analog outs you can have 10.  You can also use what is called Unwire, which is kind of like Rewire.  You can have the Receptor show up as a VST instrument in your DAW and send MIDI and Audio back and forth via a crossover connection!

John
John Emrich

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 04:51:12 AM »

Geo:

I think you need to create a new title and make John Emrich the "Tribal Wizard".

Pyrate

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:52:13 AM by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zennerman1

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:38:55 AM »

Geo:

I think you need to create a new title and make John Emrich the "Tribal Wizard".

Pyrate

AGREED.
 :)

Cheers,
Steve

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 12:04:27 AM »

Arrrgggghhhhh!!!  It is with great pleasure I take to know that some of my gandious ideas are taken seriously.  I see that John has indeed been given the title of Tribal Wizard!!!!  What say ye Oh Grand Wizard?  (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!)

Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

kunkyape

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 03:35:13 AM »

Hey there people!

1st post on this site, and should be taking delivery of my Zendrum early next week....all be it 2nd hand but it is cheaper than forking out £1000+!!

I didn't realise there was going to be a new version of the Receptor coming out all geared up with tutorials and such like, sounds like a really good idea to help out numptey's like me who are just about to throw themselves into more technical things head first!!

I am looking to get a receptor as soon as I sell my Ddrum kit and have spoken with the sole distributor of Receptor's in the UK and he is going to come down to my house and show me the thing in the flesh (Receptor that is ;)) in the next 2 weeks or so which will be fantastic and can help me hook up my zendrum and work out what the hell is going on!!  ;D

The only thing for me is that I would want to use my own sounds and utilise plugin's such as Kontakt and Battery, so to shell out the extra £££ on the receptor to get BFD probably is not in keeping with what I am doing, but I would have thought the new Receptor to me in the UK that you are talking about John is nearer £2000, where as the standard one with 2 gig of ram, I had a price quoted of £1200 so there is a significant difference. Its different strokes for different blokes though I guess!

But it is fantastic that you are looking to do bespoke units to help the community grow and allow people like me to get into this (after saying a few years ago that I hated electric drum kits, how naive you are when you are 18!!).

The guy who distributes the Receptor in the UK, Grizzly Media, had never even heard of a Zendrum so he will get a surprise when he see's one of these beast's working its magic!!

Anyway, all the advice and information here is totally invaluable and I know John has answered a few of my questions in the other edrumming forum a few months ago which helps to forge an opinion into which way to go in regards to e-drums. A lot of this stuff is so underground, Zendrum, receptor etc people don't have a clue what it is/does. I only stumbled across all of this around 10 months ago after doing some research! We need to get some of this stuff in the public eye and I hope to do some mentalistic gigs with the Zendrum and be the frontman for a change and get people talking about it! Seeing as though there are apparently only a handful of Zendrummers in the UK, shouldn't be too much of a challenge!!!

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 08:32:54 AM »

It is all about choice, however be careful.  The "standard" Receptor does not come with two gigs of RAM.

The bottom line is that a VST solution is the only option for true open ended upgrades!

John Emrich

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »

Not That I would be able to afford this right now anyway,  but is this "receptor set-up" by Johncomplete and available yet??    It is has me very interested in getting into the software side...

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 05:29:01 PM »

The Receptor that I have set up is done and available.  We are working on the final web pages now.  We have had a bit of a run in with Mr. Murphy.  (Nothing to do with the Receptor.)  We have had UPS loose our gear at a convention in Washington State and a flooded studio to deal with.  Everything is up and running and the web site should be up very soon.  If anyone has questions about purchasing one of the units, please PM me your requests. 

To be clear, this is a Receptor C with 2 gig of ram and a 160 gig drive (larger drives are available) loaded with the BFD engine and the Jazz & Funk and Percussion expansion packs.  Over 80 gigs of sample data.  Price is $2999.00.

I kept the Zendrum was in mind during the creation of these libraries and the unit plays great.  This is basically the unit that I play in the videos.  Check out www.fxpansion.com for more info on BFD and the expansion packs!  There are audio and video examples on each of the expansion pack pages.

John
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 05:30:43 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Pages: [1]   Go Up