Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Foot Controller Help  (Read 4851 times)

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
Foot Controller Help
« on: December 25, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »

Hello everyone and happy holidays.

I just got my Roland FC-300 MIDI foot controller today.  I know it isn't going to be plug and play with the MIDI communications but now I am hitting my head against the wall.  Here are the hardware components I am using:

Roland TD-6V Drum Module
Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller
Zendrum ZX version 3.1

I hooked up the MIDI out on the foot controller to the MIDI in on the drum module.  Press the pedals on the controller and the kits change to the pedal numbers that I have assigned.  Works Great!!!!

Then I hooked up the Zendrum to the MIDI in on the foot controller, the drum kits will still change when I press the pedals on the foot controller but the drum module is not registering that I am hitting any pads.  I bypassed the foot controller and went straight to the module and there is sound.

Does anyone have any idea of what I need to do to get all 3 components to work together in harmony?  I have been reading all 3 books and there really isn't a roadmap for what I am trying to do.  I am sure there is a setting on the foot controller that I need to enable to allow the Zendrum to send messages to my drum module.  Please help.....

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Foot Controller Help
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »

I think I have a handle on your answer, but it requres some glossary terms first.

The Zendrum sends all kind of MIDI information, but the kind of information it sends that we hear as sounds is the MIDI Note Number.  Note Number 38 is commonly a snare drum, 36 a kick, etc.

The FC-300 does not look like it transmits Note Numbers; that's why you're not hearing any sounds when it's put between the Zendrum and the module.

If you want to change kits in the Zendrum through the FC-300, you can just connect the FC to the Zendrum's MIDI IN.  If you want to change kits in the module, you may need to get a 2-in/1-out MIDI box.  I'd recommend the MIDI Solutions Merger.  I don't have one but I've heard good things of the company:

http://midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm

There may be a way to make the control chain go FC-->ZX-->TD-6V, but without having all the units available to me, I can't give you much help with that.  Hope this was of some benefit.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

I tried going FC-->ZX-->TD-6V.  The ZX was triggering the module just fine but the FC was not changing the kits in the module.  I may end up getting the merge box that you put on your post.  I am open to any other suggestions regarding this issue.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

Rob,

I have 2 ideas: (I have the same pedal and a TD6... maybe I should experiment).

1)  I am almost certain (read manual) that you can choose whether to loop the Midi in (from your ZD) to the Midi out.  I would guess it's in the global settings somewhere.  If you get stuck let me know and I will check mine.

2)  I will sell you (cheap) a midi merge.  I have 2 and in fact am currently using neither!

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »

Thanks for the offer for a merge brick.  I purchased one this morning from Guitar Center and it should be here on Monday.  I have been in the manuals for all three units but I do not see anything allowing the ZD to control the TD-6 through the FC-300.  There probably is a setting that I need to change in the FC that will allow me to make changes to inputs and pass through, in the mean time until I can figure it out, I will just use the merge brick so I can at least use the FC and the ZD the way I had intended to use them.  Please let me know if you come across the magic code to make it all work and I will do the same if the lightbulb comes on here.

Thanks,

Rob

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 09:48:54 PM »

Rob,

Just looked at the manual for the FC.  Unfortunately, there's no MIDI thru, just in and out.  You'll need the merge.

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »

That is what I was seeing too, I was hoping that someone would see something that I missed.  I ordered the merge and should have it Monday or Tuesday.  Thanks for the help.

Rob

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »

In case you got a Midi Solutions Quadra Merge... you'll need to plug the FC into Input 1 to power it.  For some reason, the Zendrum's merge brick will not power the Midi Merge.

Jer

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 05:05:15 AM »

Thanks for the info, I didn't get the quad, just the dual input, but it also has a power input from a midi device so now I know which one to hook up to the power side.

Thanks,

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

Perhaps a MOTU 8x8 usb Midi concentrator may work well for this application.  That is what I use to hook all of my midi devices together.  It is very flexible, where any combinations of inputs can be directed to any combination of outputs.  My setup (due to my rather simplistic nature) is to have all inputs go to all outputs.  Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »

Got the MIDI solutions Merge Brick today, plugged in the FC-300 to input 1, ZX into input 2 and it is working perfectly.  Thanks for the input everyone.

Rob

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »

What I found out through help from the forum is that the FC-300 does not have a MIDI through port, only an out so I was trying to put my ZX out to the FC in and then the FC out to the drum brain.  My drum brain was not seeing the ZX but would change kits when I selected different pedals.  The merge box basically combined the two signals with one out to the brain so now the brain sees both and it is working great.  I think the dual box was about $50 at guitar center.  There is a quad box for a little over $100, it was overkill for me to get that so I stuck with the dual.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

I am following this with great interest.  I have a chalenge for you.  How would you accomplish the same thing in a wireless environment, say a ZX 4 with built in wireless?

Pyrate
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »

I am using my wireless setup with the FC.  Basically the output of the receiver goes to the merge brick and the FC to the second input on the merge brick and then the single out from the merge brick to the drum module.  It works great!!  The only thing is if I want to switch to a different kit or multiple kits, I have to be standing in front of the pedal, but that is only if I am switching kits and usually between songs.

Rob

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »

Avast Thar Sticks,

Can you provide a diagram of your setup?  As we all know, Pyrates can't read, they just look at the pictures!   Har Har!!!

Pyrate
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up