Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bfd2 drum sounds breaking up, doesn't happen with battery 3....  (Read 1429 times)

scvkiltie

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
bfd2 drum sounds breaking up, doesn't happen with battery 3....
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »

Hello, I figured out how to load some drums to the zdrum with bfd2, however, at times they screech at the end, or break up, sounding like electrical interference... this does not happen when playing a groove, just when playing a zendrum pad, and it does not happen all the time... secondly, when saving  then loading a kit to the zdrum, will it automatically pick the sounds from bfd2, or does bfd2 also have to load each kit, thanks for the help, scvkiltie

Atardecer

Re: bfd2 drum sounds breaking up, doesn't happen with battery 3....
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:01:46 PM »

Hey there,

Ive had some similar issues with BFD2, although i havent got my zendrum yet so cant comment specifically on whether thats influencing anything. Often when working with BFD2 in the studio, I'll get cymbals that are cutoff randomly and some weird high-pitched artifacts, and its different every time. This does not happen when simply playing back a groove (in Ableton Live) but usually when actually bouncing the audio. Theres a few things to consider:

- this may be due to your hard drive streaming settings in the BFD2 engine. Experiment with them.
- for playing live i would recommend that you use 16-bit mode as this will reduce the required amount of RAM considerable, without a noticeable quality difference for live use.
- Try toggling the offline mode option in BFD2.
- Perhaps reduce the maximum amount of velocity layers available to BFD2 as this will eat up your system.

It depends a lot on what system you are using (Im assuming a laptop?). Internal laptop hardrives may be a little sluggish for use with BFD2, if its external go with a Firewire800 or eSATA drive if possible.
As for saving/loading kits/, havent got the zdrum yet but going on how i work with MIDI keyboards I assume that you can either load all your required kits for a gig in BFD2 in one go (use the 32piece kit option) and then, but map them to the same notes (ie. kick from kit 1 goes to your preferred zendrum trigger, kick from kit2 the same etc) but assign each kit to a different MIDI channel. Even though you can mute the other kits when not needing them, you dont want to be triggering them as this will most likely bottleneck your system.
I would recommend that you load each kit as required and that they are mapped to the same zdrum triggers. The loading times for a kit arent too long. Its worth also checking out the FXpansion forum for advice from other folks experiencing the same problems.

Typically Battery 3 is not as CPU or RAM intensive as BFD2 (depending on the kit of course) as its not a full-blown acoustic drum sampler with anywhere near the number of loaded samples and velocity zones to trigger in the preset kits. With BFD2, you will need to find a good tradeoff between quality and stability for live use. I use BFD on the receptor which is superfast thankfully (unfortunately BFD2 wont work on my older receptor though  >:()

Jim

scvkiltie

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »

Thanks for the reply, since the post I've picked up another  1T external drive, using 400 firewire, which is 7200 rpm. I agree with your saving, I'm finally getting a map saved on the zendrum using my Roland SPD 20, and I think I'll have to change the zendrum map number, as well as the roland set number... to get a new set with different sounds... however, keeping the same zendrum map keeps some of the sounds in the same place, however the more bizarre sounds are always applied to the same pads...hopefully someone who is fluent with roland can give me a pretty direct answer...scvkiltie

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »

SCV,

I advise getting one notemap on your Zendrum set up the way you like it, and make the BFD kits all work with that.  I use a modifies version of this method; I have kits built with 3 snare drums (regular, deep, and piccolo) and then I have 3 notemaps that are all identical except the snare drum notes.  On my jazz kits I have snares-off and hot rod versions.  That way, ALL of my BFD kits work no matter what my Zendrum is set to, and I can switch snare drums without loading a new BFD kit.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up