Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's what I'm looking for. Is the Zendrum a good fit?  (Read 1914 times)

cochlea

Here's what I'm looking for. Is the Zendrum a good fit?
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »

I am brand new to this forum although I have followed the progress of the Zendrum for several years. I am in my 50s and have been a drummer for a long time. I got into electronic drums in the mid-1980s but have since sold off much of my equipment and have not played much in the last few years. I'l like to get back into electronic drums for the shear enjoyment of playing and to relieve stress late at night after the kids have gone to bed, which leads me to my question. One option would be to buy a mesh-head electronic set so that I could play late at night and not disturb others in the house. The mesh pads I've tried are very quiet but the electronic cymbals are another story. Plus there's the issue of set up and take down (I live in a rather small house and can't see having an electronic set taking up valuable real estate). The Zendrum is very appealing because I presume I could take it out and drum away on the couch or other convenient place at home, even with the TV on in the backgound. I'm one of those who is constantly drumming on things with my hands every chance I get. It seems to me that the Zendrum would be a great fit. However, given it's cost it's either a Zendrum OR a new electric kit (not both). Do you think I could get the same amount of enjoyment out of a Zendrum compared to a traditional kit that uses individual pads and sticks? What are the benfits and shortcomings of going to this type of instrument in my situation? Thanks in advance for your input.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Here's what I'm looking for. Is the Zendrum a good fit?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:22:58 PM »

If your stress relief comes from creativity and expression, the Zendrum is the way to go.  If it comes from the actual exercise and thrashing, you would be happier with something closer to drums.
Play nice.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:38:06 PM »

With the Zendrum you will still need a module or software to be able to make sounds. I am using now a TD-20 with my live rig and although no matter which route you take "module or software" there will be a learning curve. That said,  after you get thru the  initial curve you will have to retrain your thinking process about drumming because with a Zendrum there are NO RULES.  You can make any trigger make any sound and you are only limited by your imagination. I vote for you to get the Zendrum.  I did a few years ago and I am still learning every time I play it. . It  actually sparked my interest in getting better as a drummer.  Oh and don't forget the cool factor when you play out and people come up and ask where are the drums. It never gets old. Thumper
Thumper

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

Like you, me Pyrate ship is rather small, plus being connected on both sides to testy neighbors doesn't help.  The Zendrum gives me the freedom to do my drumming without taking up real estate or disturbing the neighbors.  Like you I am also drumming my fingers on everything, steering wheels, desktops, my kid brother's head, etc.  I purchased the Jolly Roger zendrum several years ago and have never regretted the decision.  I also use a Roland TD-20 as a sound source.  My whole rig sits on a single bongo drum stand.  It is extremely portable and reliable.  I highly recommend he Zendrum.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate.
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 03:56:15 AM »

I have an acoustic kit, an electronic kit with mesh heads and a Zendrum ZX.  I would have to say that it took me about two weeks to learn and get comfortable with my ZX.  Since then, the only time I use any of my kits is when I initially audition for a band, to show the group that I can play the kit.  Then I play my ZX and blow them away with that.  From that point, my kit gets packed up and won't see daylight unless I audition for a different group.  I would recommend the Zendrum over an electronic kit.  I already had a sound module with my kit, a Roland TD-6V, and purchased a backup on EBay for less than $300.  There is a cool factor playing a Zendrum and most of all it is fun.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub
Pages: [1]   Go Up