Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally taken the plunge - excited!  (Read 2173 times)

Atardecer

Finally taken the plunge - excited!
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »

So I finally have a Zendrum on order (Dark Crimson ZX to be precise). Cant wait to get my hands on it. Wondering how the learning curve will be. As people say, its not a drumkit and you have to approach it differently. Im very interested in using it for loop/sample triggering and doing stuff other than drums. Look forward to getting to know some of you folks in the future! Just hope my playing abilities will do justice to the instrument.

Cheers,
James

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Finally taken the plunge - excited!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »

Congrats!

When's your due date?
Play nice.

Atardecer

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:41:31 AM »

Looking at a couple of weeks i think. Will be sure to post a pic of my new "baby" when it arrives  ;)

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »

Congrats.  You will be happy.  If you're going to be using software that's new to you with your Zendrum, you might want to be familiarizing yourself with it before your instrument arrives.  You might want to download the BFD2 demo, for example.   When my Zendrum arrived I plugged it in to a module & started rocking out right away, but I've gradually migrated to software, and the tweakability factor is significant.  So if you're going to be using software, you might want to get started tweaking even before your Zendrum arrives - just to get a feel.    This would give you a jump on the learning curve if you're going software with your Zendrum.

welcome to the tribe

M

Atardecer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:09 AM »

Thanks timecutter but ive got that sorted. I already use BFD2 on a receptor with a roland kit. Im thinking of picking up a cheap drum machine mainly for practice purposes and to keep portable but the receptor will be my main rig. The latency is excellent as opposed to running a laptop  ;)

Jim

Atardecer

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:23:59 AM »

So my new baby arrived a couple of days ago!

First impressions - wow!  The cool factor cannot be underestimated :o

As the manual states, this is no toy. Quality build construction throughout. You get the feeling of it being a really solid, weighty unit, but at the same time not so heavy as to weigh you down when strapped on.
The ergonomics are good, within a short time it started to make some sense. The first thing i realised is that any skills from the drumset or keyboards, while useful, dont necessarily apply (at least until i really learn the zendrum  ;))
I plan not to just use it for drums but for melodic stuff and am also interested in using it as a loop trigger. The pads have a great feel - messing around with the velocity curves helped alot and using curve 5 seems to suit me. Started of with BFD2 and Battery 3. I noticed particularly with Battery 3 the special value of the Zendrum in creating rhythms and beats with unconventional sound sources and generally just how it makes you approach beats differently than a drumset.

So now i hope that my playing skills will eventually do justice to this instrument. Thanks David! Anyone with any good tips for a newbie?

James
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:26:06 AM by Atardecer »

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 09:04:21 AM »

Welcome to the Tribe!  Give it 30 days of daily playing; changing up mapping options, etc, and around day 15 - 20, your brain will snap into place.  I've been using pretty much the same layout map I developed at day 22 of my Zen, and that was almost 9 years ago.

Now prove you're for real and post a pic or two!
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:04 PM »

I got my ZX back in April and I am still modifying and changing pads around.  I have my basic kit down that hasn't changed on the ZX.  What I am finding is that the more comfortable I get with the ZX I start adding and playing with sounds utilizing the cross fade option.  Now I have added conga drums and cowbells along with my tom sounds so I can get a multitude of sounds going with my left hand while still playing my basic kit with my right.  You will see that you will be fine tuning it for months but once it is tuned in, look out!

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

Atardecer

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »

Ok, heres a quick pic!

Been checking out some of those tutorial videos in the download section. The one by David Kuckhermann is particularly useful. Thats an easy way to play a one-handed righthand groove  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up