Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flecktones - Dublin 04/11/09  (Read 707 times)

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
Flecktones - Dublin 04/11/09
« on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »

Was lucky enough to get to see "Bela Fleck and the Flecktones" at Vicar St. ,Dublin last night, 2nd night of their European Tour. This was the 5th time I've seen the Flecktones but this one was a little different for a couple of reasons

Jeff Coffin (Sax) is on tour with Dave Matthews Band for November so Howard Levy (Piano/Harmonica) was brought in for these shows.....he played on their first 3 albums and then left in 1992. The set was entirely from those 3 albums ("Flecktones","Flight of the Comic Hippo" and "UFO TOFU") a lot of tunes they haven't played since then.

Everyone was sounding great, just a few nerves possibly but understandable after so many years since this lineup. What we didn't realise until a little into the show was Victor Wooten was very unwell, he still played a blinder though especially in the 2nd half of the gig.  A lot of the audience probably didn't notice thankfully and Victor will be ok I'm sure.

Roy (Futureman) was using his Drumitar, 2 x DMPros(?), Macbook with EZDrummer and his stand up Acoustic kit. It was very difficult to work out when he was playing Drumitar (Left hand) or Acoustic kit (Right hand)..... we were sitting front row centre stage. He turns Edrums into an "Organic" instrument, no idea how he does it? Richard Battaglia on Sound is a big help of course, everything was clear as a bell. Roy added some new vocals into "Sunset Road". Hopefully  he'll do some more singing on any upcoming material.

I'd never seen Howard Levy before, astonishing Piano and Harmonica playing (usually both at the same time). Jeff is back with the Flecktones in December but the guys are enjoying a different take on their music.. If you have the chance to see them...... GO!!!!!!

www.flecktones.com

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:19:46 AM by MustangMick »

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Flecktones - Dublin 04/11/09
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »

I have seen the Flecks thrice and it has been such a different experience each time.  Even if you've seen 'em before, I say go see 'em again!  I was fortunate enough to sit in a master class with Futch and Bela once, and got to ask them some questions about how they compose and their interesting use of meter and rhythm.  One of my most cherished musical memories.

Jer

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
Re: Flecktones - Dublin 04/11/09
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 05:36:50 AM »

I have seen the Flecks thrice and it has been such a different experience each time.  Even if you've seen 'em before, I say go see 'em again!  I was fortunate enough to sit in a master class with Futch and Bela once, and got to ask them some questions about how they compose and their interesting use of meter and rhythm.  One of my most cherished musical memories.

Jer

I've seen them as a Trio, quartet with Jeff Coffin and now as a quartet with Howard Levy

Enjoyed all the older tunes "Sunset Road", "Reflections of Lucy", "Star of the County Down"....which is a tricky groove to pull off. The only tune missing was ".....the Hippo thing....." :(

Orla enjoyed the gig too, even though "Jazz" wouldn't normally be her choice.

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:38:34 AM by MustangMick »
Pages: [1]   Go Up