Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zendrums w/ Sounds: A Dissenting Opinion  (Read 4295 times)

alouisus

Re: Zendrums w/ Sounds: A Dissenting Opinion
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:42:36 PM »

I think we should welcome the concept of an on board sound set.   

Something like a flash drive with removable media...
 you could totally customize performance kits that were hot swappable!
the issue would be transmitting wireless... otherwise load time and latency would be nil to none..!

alouisus

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:21:45 PM »

i wanted to throw this out there... maybe not the thread, but here goes...

What about a "Zendrum Module" that is a small proprietary table top midi interface with:

1)-firewire or USB 2.0 to computer host (ideally with a control map GUI that interfaces with wireless Zendrum information)

2)-hardware midi in/ out/ thru

3)-Control input jacks- foot switch/ kick & HitHat inputs/ continuous controller input(volume pedal)/ sustain pedal?

This would be incredibly effective in performance situations
you would have a live wired backup port off the "Module" just in case
And All your pedals for kick, hihat, loop foot switch, sustain and volume would
be live at your performance rig... you could still be untethered to move around the stage
and foot control the computer without letting go of the zendrum... sitting or standing.

I basically do this with a computer and an old DMPRO and it works...
A specifically designed Zendrum interface control box would be nothing short of amazing!!!! 
I'm sure the Zendrum GUI is fourth coming anyway... right??

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 05:30:48 AM »

Please repost this in the Blue Sky thread.
The GUI is in early disscussion phase, not design and production phase.
Maybe someday...
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

camcojunky

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:14 PM »

Given the previous posts in this thread, I would have to weigh in on the side of NOT putting onboard sounds in the Zen; I agree with those who see it as a waste of space in the Zen that could be better used for future circuitry and hardware upgrades to the functionality  of the Zen - sounds are a personal thing and will always be customized by the user anyway, and with the advent of the new dedicated software drives in the link above and possibly others (the Inspector alluded to this... David, can you mention any names?) it appears that a dedicated computer/drive system will soon be the standard module of choice; fully customizable, running any software, probably with sampling capabilities/looping/effects etc.

Bottom line for me is... the Zen is a unique, dedicated MIDI controller. I think that the folks at Zen should focus on that aspect, and leave the sound design/hardware module work to the many other fine companies that specialize in that.

Just my .02

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 01:49:20 PM »

Since I "warmed up" the forum a little by bringing this back up again, let me put a little logic behind my thoughts. (...could be a first for me).  There have been times and opportunities when I would have been able to use my Zen if I didn't have to carry the "rest" of my stuff around with me (...plug n play opportunities) that would make some sort of on board stuff really appealing at the moment.

If there were such a thing as on board memory and the capability of loading samples, I could load my favs onto my Zen and carry them with me.  I would definitely not be in favor of this being the main function on my Zen ..but if I could have my favorite kit(or kita) loaded up and toted around it would really be great. ...either as a backup on a gig or as a means to be ultra mobile.  I repeat - In my blue sky it would all fit, would not add too much weight, and would not become obsolete by limiting it to "factory" sounds.

I'm still REALLY Happy with what I have in my Zen but no progress could make thing go the way of the DrumKat - Best MIDI controller around but no longer being manufactured?

...Rod

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

but if I could have my favorite kit(or kita) loaded up and toted around it would really be great

The problem that I see here is how does a scurvy dog like me, that uses a TD-20 as a sound module "load" me favorite kit into the zen?  Not all of us use the software solution (ARrrgghhhh, someday perhaps, if me new Pyrate ship comes in).  No thar be something to cogitate about me hearties!

However, for portability's sake, there are some fine solutions out there.  Some of the BOSS modules produce some fine sounds and Arrgghhhh battery operated.  They are also very small and lightweight.  Sony and HP now make miniaturized PCs that have Intel duo core processors, lots of memory and internal storage with external storage as an option.  The HP in particular is only $399 at Costco (or Sams or BJs, one of them three).  It has 1 Gig of RAM and a 160 Gig internal HD and a 10 inch display.    This may provide the software only users a portable option if combined with a USB-MIDI connector and perhaps a wireless rig.

Hope this helps.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 11:56:18 AM by Pyrate »
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Finnyous

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

but if I could have my favorite kit(or kita) loaded up and toted around it would really be great

The problem that I see here is how does a scurvy dog like me, that uses a TD-20 as a sound module "load" me favorite kit into the zen?  Not all of us use the software solution (ARrrgghhhh, someday perhaps, if me new Pyrate ship comes in).  No thar be something to cogitate about me hearties!

Not to continually go back to a software solution but there is a program called mimik (http://www.openlabs.com/mimik.html) that I think takes whatever midi sounds you want and records the sounds as samples automatically by playing the midi data out of the computer at different velocities and then records it back into whatever interface you have (in this case a giant highly priced crazy keyboard thing, although it works just with a reg computer to I think)   

Also software like this could be installed into a zendrum with a little flash drive or something, then you could have sampled software sounds, and sounds from various midi synths all on the zen. (I realize that this is REALLY a pie in the sky thing, and probably not to realistic I just wanted to point it out because it seemed cool to me)

Point well taken though there are a lot of cheaper/safer options that are available right now like the computers your pointed out, or the other modules that are more portable and still sound great.

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »

Avast Thar Mateys,

I even have possession of a PDA like device from Roland called a PMA 5, which also operates on batteries, which can also produce drum sounds, although not nearly as sophisticated as the TD-20 or any software based solution.  But it is small, battery powered, rugged and portable.  Alas Roland doesn't make it anymore, but it can still be had on ebay and the like.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »

Guys,

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but getting the storage of sounds into the Zendrum ISN'T the issue.  I can envision an access door and a USB port, and a thumb drive with sounds if needed.  That isn't the reason this won't work the way it has been presented.

The issue is the HOST program.  Having the samples in there is not the issue, it's accessing and playing them back.  We'd still need an operating system and software so we could USE the sounds.  It's not just a matter of having samples; you'd need internal BFD or something to make that work.  Then you'd need some sort of editor, GUI, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here guys, just the voice of reason I guess...

Jer

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »

I'm still REALLY Happy with what I have in my Zen but no progress could make thing go the way of the DrumKat - Best MIDI controller around but no longer being manufactured?

...Rod

DrumKats are very much alive, being built by Mario at

www.alternatemode.com

Cheers
Mick

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »

I still have my TrapKat and use it a lot!! ...and Mario seems to be single handedly keeping Alternate Mode going, but mostly refurbing units?  I wasn't aware that any new manufacturing was being done.  In any event - I still (even with my old DrumKat) wanted a smaller footprint for sound modules and would pony up some cash if there was something really compact that could be attached to my Zen.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »

Oh Yeah, I have a new TrapKat and a new MalletKat, both under a year old.  They are definitely up and running.

Jer

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 02:07:20 PM »

That is waaaay good to know!  My fav setup is Zen for out front vocals midied to the TrapKat when someone else has the spotlight!

yogurtbacteria

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2010, 08:27:45 PM »

I don't own a Zendrum yet, but I'm seriously considering getting one, and I'd like to put in my two cents *for* internal sound. I echo what others have said about it being nice to have as a back-up just in case, and that it would be really nice not to have to lug the other stuff around with me, and I wanted to add one more thing. One of the best things about a guitar, in my opinion, is that you can have it near your bed or workspace or whatever, and if the inspiration strikes you, you can just pick it up and play, without doing anything else. There is one step between you and music at all times: picking up the instrument. There's a big difference between "pick up and play", and "pick up, plug in, plug other thing in, wait for boot up, open software, play". It puts the music-making right at your fingertips instead of a bunch of set-up steps away, and to me that's quite significant.

I could easily understand this not being a standard feature, as it definitely looks like there are a number of people who just wouldn't consider it worth it, but I think it would be great to have as an optional bit.

drumhead99

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The Others
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »

I'll chime in for what it's worth...

I would be one of the guys that would be interested in internal sounds if available (whatever that may be-ie: via a thumb drive, a small portable device, etc.)

My theory is that Zendrum has been an awesome company, and stands very strong behind their product.  If they were to go forth with this, I believe they would have put the time in to making sure it's worthy of putting the Zendrum name on it.

I'm in tune with the guys that like the ease/portability of having the ability to just plug and play, whatever that may be for (small gig, theater, writing, fun, practice, etc..).  I would use it most certainly.  I have the Malletkat (WS) that has the loaded sounds - and I do so many gigs with that for simple xylo runs or timp rolls, it's just so nice and easy - not set up- just bring it with my drumkit (or Zendrum).

Don't get me wrong,  I would LOVE to have a receptor, with those beautiful BFD sounds... and for now my TD-20 (and TD-12) does the job.  But if there were and internal option, I'd like to check that out too, especially if the sounds were good.  And like the Malletkat- I think it would be an "option" - kinda satisfying those that want the sounds, and those that don't at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up