Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Battery Powered Zendrum  (Read 7103 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Wireless Battery Powered Zendrum
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »

Hey Everybody,
We are pleased to announce some very cool new developments.

If you have ever dreamed of going wireless with a battery powered Zendrum, then that reality is now here in an easy-to-use and economically priced package.

We are now an approved retailer for the MIDI Jet Pro wireless system.
This well known system has been used by Zendrummers and found to be reliable over many years of live performances.

The standard MIDI Jet Pro system consists of two small boxes: a transmitter that mounts on your Zendrum strap and a receiver that is positioned by your sound source giving you a cable-free operational range of up to 300 feet with any Zendrum, old or new on ZAP, LT, or ZX models.

**UNIQUE TO THE ZENDRUM ZX**
We are also offering an onboard transmitter option for the Zendrum ZX that will feature the same proven Midi Jet Pro technology discretely embedded inside the Zendrum body. This will include an easily accessed standard 9vdc battery which is capable of powering both the wireless transmitter AND the Zendrum for approx. 4-5  hours per new alkaline battery change. The 9 volt battery will be housed in a battery compartment located in the backplate near the tail.
Zendrum.com can now offer the ultimate in wireless freedom, performance visibility, and dynamic stage persona.
Contact us for complete details, availability, and pricing at info@zendrum.com.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:38:57 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Battery Powered Zendrum
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »

Question. Would it be possible to also have a charging port-plug of some kind next to the battery compartment so that those of us that use rechargeable batteries could just plug in and charge our batteries at home overnight  with an external charger as well as have the ability to take out the battery. Thumper
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:51 PM »

Question . Will this allow us to not  to have to carry the 2 boxes that we now have to strap on. one for powering the Zendrum and one powering the transmitter. That would be a great thing Thumper
Thumper

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »

Question . Will this allow us to not  to have to carry the 2 boxes that we now have to strap on. one for powering the Zendrum and one powering the transmitter. That would be a great thing Thumper

Hey Thumper, the answer is YES, the transmitter and battery boxes will be internal on your ZX if you choose that package. There will be a 9v battery door mounted on the top edge next to the display.

We will also offer the standard MIDI Jet Pro system externally for the LT.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 02:24:36 PM »

Question. Would it be possible to also have a charging port-plug of some kind next to the battery compartment so that those of us that use rechargeable batteries could just plug in and charge our batteries at home overnight  with an external charger as well as have the ability to take out the battery. Thumper

At this time, you will still take the batteries out to recharge them and the option to pop a new Energizer bunny in for an emergency will still be there. Rechargeable batteries have roughly half the run time of standard over the counter alkalines.
What kind of batteries are you using as rechargeables?
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 02:34:39 PM »

Aaauurrrgggg!   I pleaded for this during my Draken build and was denied!! 

Is this a retro backfit item, and if you already have the MIDI Jet Pro, do you need to repurchase or canyou use the existing transmitter/battery merge box?
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »

For the AA's  I am using 2900mAh  1.2volt AA NiMH AccuPower Digital Power which I  bought when I ordered my custum ZX back April 2007.

For the 9volt  i am using a 500mAh 9V Li-polymer from iPowerUS bought at the same time April 2007.

I usually charge them before every gig and knock on wood have never had a failure!  The midi Jet Pro is a great unit the only problem that I had encountered was my antennaewhich is plastic  broke at the base where the pin went thru. I homemade fixed it and it has lasted and I have since ordered an replacement should it break again.

I have even played 2 - 4 hour gigs on a friday saturday once just to see if i could  it worked both times flawlessly

I am now thinking that there would have to be 2 charging ports  with and 2 external chargers but charging thru one port if it can be done would be wonderful. Anyway just thought that i have had. Thumper

Thumper

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:10:27 PM »

FINALLY, I can get this out there...

I have been using an internal MidiJet Pro inside my ZX since 2005.  I had asked David about it back in the day, but that was long before ZD was able to distribute the MidiJets OEM, so he couldn't offer it.  So I decided to take matters into my own hands... (yes, voiding my warranty.  Fortunately Zendrums happen to be indestructible ;))

I soldered some short cables inside my ZX (one for power, one for midi) and removed the circuitry from the MJ transmitter.  I placed the stuff in the ZX body cavity, and hooked 'er up.  If you have checked, the MJ uses a 9v AC adaptor.  Sound familiar?  Same voltage as the ZX.  David added a 9v battery box to my ZX, and I was good to go.  I have been doing this for over 4 years and have never had any kind of trouble with it.  I get 5-6 hours out of a single Duracell 9v, which is running the ZX AND the MJ.  It's really slick to have NO cables hangin' anywhere!

So, having road tested this exact gear for 4 years (with NON-professional soldering, mind you) and no failures to date, I am tellin' all you guys: GET IT.  It will simplify your world and make dancing with hot chicks while playing WAY more fun (if that's possible??? :P)

Jer

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

Hey guys,
Yes, the answer is YES WE CAN USE THE MIDIJET PRO YOU ALREADY OWN for a small modification/installation fee.
This will include an internal battery holder and a power switch.
Best prices you'll find anywhere for the whole integrated system.

The prices will be- $399 for new instruments                           
                          $449 for retrofits
                          $149 for installing your existing MIDIJet unit
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:43:34 AM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

timecutter

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »

This sounds very appealing - could we see pictures? 

thanks

M

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:10:17 PM »

Yes, there will be photos posted soon.
Lead engineer has working model now.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »

After reading my post  I have to ask another question. With this new upgrade the Zendrum and Midi jet Pro will be powered with just one 9 volt battery?
Thumper
Thumper

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »

What kind of range do you think we can expect?  Is there an external antennae involved, or does it rely on radio waves escaping from the back of the Zendrum? 

I'm presuming the RF wouldn't travel through the wood very well and would need to leak out the back.  If I'm standing with my back to the receiver though then those waves would also need to get through *me* to get to the receiver as well, whereas usually the transmitter is on my back off the strap.  How much is that going to affect the range (if at all)?

tnx
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »

After reading my post  I have to ask another question. With this new upgrade the Zendrum and Midi jet Pro will be powered with just one 9 volt battery?
Thumper

Yes, that's correct. 4-5 hours run time
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Inspector 109

• Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:53:46 AM »

What kind of range do you think we can expect?  Is there an external antennae involved, or does it rely on radio waves escaping from the back of the Zendrum? 

I'm presuming the RF wouldn't travel through the wood very well and would need to leak out the back.  If I'm standing with my back to the receiver though then those waves would also need to get through *me* to get to the receiver as well, whereas usually the transmitter is on my back off the strap.  How much is that going to affect the range (if at all)?

tnx

Still should get 300 feet with no trouble, right ZendrumDude?
I've never heard you or Keith Wilson at Disney mention otherwise.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up