Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not make Zendrums out of synthetic materials rather than wood?  (Read 1052 times)

KingCrimson

Newbie here. Don't have a Zendrum yet, but I'll probably buy a ZAP soon. Quick question for ya: how much of the relatively steep price of these instruments is owed to their fine handcrafted wood production? Would it be feasible and not at odds with the tribal spirit to create a model with the same features and triggers, just made out of something else instead? Maybe a really dense rubber that doesn't permit crosstalk, or a polyurethane resin of some sort. Or metal, like a drumKAT. Has this idea or anything like it ever been toyed with?

-Ryan

Pyrate

• Tribal Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Why not make Zendrums out of synthetic materials rather than wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:44:48 AM »

Avast Thar Matey,

An interesting question to be sure.  I am not an expert on Zendrum history, but I believe that way back when ships were made of wood and men were made of iron, Zendrums were made of plastic.  However, the fine folks at Zendrum found that the plastic Zendrum presented several problems. In addition, the plastic Zendrum did not have the visual harmony and look of art that the wood Zendrums are.  Making a Zendrum out of wood allows for greater the freedom of expression on the part of the customer as there are many more choices of color, patterning, etc.  Plastic does not allow for that much freedom.  If Zendrum was a mass produced production line item, plastic might be the way to go.  Personally speaking, I prefer the work of art that is the Jolly Roger Zendrum ( a unique, one-of-a-kind instrument).

So now, ships are made of iron (actually steel), man are made of plastic, and Zendrums are thankfully made of wood and worth every penny pf their cost.

Fair Winds and Following Seas,
Pyrate
Lost at sea with the Jolly Roger Zendrum!
Pyrate Factoid:  Black Bart Roberts was the most successful Pyrate of the Golden Age.  He captured over 400 ships between 1720 and 1722.

MustangMick

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
    • Southbound
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 04:31:17 AM »

I have both a Figured Maple/Zebrawood ZX and a Black (plastic) Zendrum "Muse". I believe around 90 Muses's were made?

Both lovely instruments but the tooling costs for a Plastic Zendrum would probably far outweigh the price of making them from Wood?

A Plastic Zendrum would not survive Stage use and being dropped so well.

I believe The Mayor was once asked...."Hey Tom , do you have one of those Zendrums iin a Chrome finish?" ;D

Cheers
Mick
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:35:13 AM by MustangMick »

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »

Plastic breaks too easily, especially when pounded.  Remember, it has to be hollow to allow the electronics.

In the end, synthetics lead to an inferior product.
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »

I met a guy who had a yellow plastic Zendrum... don't know if it was a Muse or a ZP.  It had 16 triggers and very limited features.  It was THRASHED... literally chunks missing from it.  It still worked though!

I have always wanted one made out of Carbon Fiber.  If they ever do THAT, I will buy one!

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up