Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine tune the Z4 Triggers!  (Read 1152 times)

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
Fine tune the Z4 Triggers!
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:18:54 PM »

Hello all,

I was messing around with the PL function in the new Z4 and something occurred to me.  The C2 parameter is meant as a way to train each pad.  The first time I did this, I just hit each pad once with my first finger on my right hand.  That was a mistake!

Many of you play like I do with different parts of the hands on different triggers.  The better way to set this function up is to get into the C2 parameter and play naturally for a little while.  You will not hear anything, but your will be addressing each pad the real way that you hit them.  This will result in a much better playing instrument.

Think about the differences between your left and right hand.  Now add the different parts of each finger that you use.  These all add up to a wide variety of different pressure levels when striking the triggers.  By "air drumming" you just need to hit each pad the way that you do when you perform.  The difference in results will surprise you.  It really does make a big difference.

Thought I'd pass this along.  It does help and the new Z4 will respond perfectly.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Fine tune the Z4 Triggers!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 04:23:49 AM »

Great idea!
Thanks John.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »

Hey guys,

When you do your air-drumming calibration, do you switch between note maps in the Zendrum?  I've got 3 different maps I switch between on my primary rig, a jazz set, a general-use set and a percussion set, and I treat them all slightly differently.  I love the idea of the individual calibration, but I'm concerned that calibrating it for my rock set will screw up the feel of the jazz set.  Perhaps in a situation like that it'd be best to work with the noise floors and response curves and not use the individual calibrations?

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

Jaay,

The calibration is a global setting, meaning that whatever notemap you perform the calibration on, it will be in effect for all notemaps.

Jer

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »

Right; I was aware of that.  I was asking about the practicality of eschewing that global setting in favor of the noise floor/response curves alone.  I don't want to make a global calibration and not have it work globally.   ;D
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:55:43 PM »

What John is saying does make sense though, and it hadn't occurred to me until he had the conceptual breakthrough.
Play the triggers like you're going to in a "real" situation while in the blinking C2 screen, accept the calibration and save it. THEN, you can still set the individual noise floors and store each per Set Up and also tweek the response curves for specific applications.
I think that's the right answer.
Don't worry, you can always recalibrate if you don't dig it.
David
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:05:06 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

The whole idea is to optimize each trigger the way that you actually play it.  Think of it this way..... each of us have one dominant hand.  As Zendrummers, we break that down even further with our fingers.  Then we break it down even more with the different parts of out fingers and the angles at which they strike each trigger. 

By setting the triggers up with this method, you are fine tuning each of them for the way that your hands naturally address the instrument.  This is the perfect way to get the most accurate starting point for all of your presets.  You will then be able to get the most out of your Zendrum!  All of your presets from that point forward will be getting the most accurate MIDI information and you should end up with better playing kits.  It shouldn't matter what style of music you are playing.  You still want the Zendrum set up to give you the most dynamic response possible.

I'll use another example from my trials.  At first I used my first finger on my right (strong) hand.  As a result, the triggers that I play with my left (weaker) hand needed to played harder to achieve an even response between the two.  The Z4 enabled me to not only see and fell the difference, I was able to change it.  This made it a very uniform performance.

Each of us will have a different take on how to set this up.  Luckily, David has created an instrument that adapts better than anything else.  As for me, I am getting more response out of this than ever before.

John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up