Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: John Emrich on point at AES next month  (Read 2819 times)

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
John Emrich on point at AES next month
« on: September 18, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »

Hey Everybody,
Just a note to anyone who might be going to NYC in October.
Our friend and Honorable Wizard Tribesman, Brother John Emrich will be playing in the Muse Receptor booth at the AES show with a newly outfitted Custom Shop Zendrum ZX. This ZX was built to John's specs with his own personalized trigger layout.
He's designed 28 triggers, 2 cc inputs, and 2 external trigger inputs, and has just now gotten the Z4.3 update. He was gracious enough to be one of our beta-testers for the Z4, and until now had the 4.0 prototype circuitboard in this hotrod. I can't wait to see what he says about the new features that have been added. If anybody will know what to do with them, I assure you all that John does and already has an application in mind for all of it. Thanks to John for his years of experience, technical know-how, and adventurous attitude towards Zendrum and our entire community.
Knock 'em dead, John.

Here are the details of his appearance at AES-

AES New York
Javitz Center October 9 - 11
MUSE booth #863
Receptor 2 with BFD2 and Zendrum Custom Shop ZX
Light to Dark Blue Fade Flame Maple Finish

...and a photo I just took of his latest brainchild before it left here Thursday 9-17!
Enjoy the show,
David
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:13:14 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: John Emrich on point at AES next month
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:59:50 PM »

I see no photos, good sir...
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:36:08 AM »

Hello,

I'd like to thank David for getting me up to date with the new version, 4.3.  This thing kicks butt!

So here is the way that I set it up.

I have continuous control HH with both tip and shank.  The main snare voice has five articulations, including the half edge hits for variable snare.  The second snare uses three articulations so that I can play brushes and percussion that do not interfere with the main drum.  I use three cymbal slots in BFD2 and each of them have three articulations each, bell, bow, and edge.  Add four toms and two percussion and two bass drums.

The extra two CC input jacks give me control over HH and anything else that I decide to assign them to.  The two trigger inputs are used for a FAT KAT, and the trigger out from the HAT KAT pedals.  I also have the hold button on the back of the unit setup to be assigned to a function depending on the patch.

For years I've wanted to have these capabilities for my feet without having to bring another unit.  As drummers, we use our feet with the drum set.  Over the years I have figured out ways to play without them, but the groove was never quite the same.  Now with the possibilities for foot control with a Zendrum Z4.3, I can use my feet again and that frees up my hands for more interesting possibilities.

I promise to shoot a video on my set up as soon as I can.  My hope is that it will give you some ideas on the possibilities for the way that each of us naturally play the instrument.

Cheers,  I need to get back to playing my Zendrum.

John

John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 09:22:40 PM »

Hey Everybody,
John just put up a YouTube video.
I'd recommend that you watch and study a master at work.
David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFGFfsJUPsQ&feature=PlayList&p=F128228795B495F7&index=18
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:34 AM »

Thank you John for this video. It sounds great!  The Zendrum has always been a little mysterious to me and to see how others set them up and play is fascinating. I have asked on this forum before about others setups and it would be nice to be able to go to a place (maybe on the Zendrum web site ) to SEE what others have done.   Now with custom trigger setups it will be a little more difficult but the main Zendrum layout posted with a way to put other triggers on the map should be doable somehow. I have found a setup  that works for me with the TD-20 with 4 or 5 different drum set sounds so I could go out and play quickly however I have bought BFD 2 many months ago  to hopefully improve my sound and it  is very intimidating to me and have not really tried that hard to get the sounds out of it that I know it is capable of. Choices of Amps, software. Midi converters, pedals , no pedals the choices are unlimited. We are all in such a new times that the technology is changing and there are so many ways to go that it becomes confusing so we get something that is comfortable and stay there. I have been experimenting from the first day that my Zendrum came home and I am still searching for the best setup for me. I know that this is different for everyone , but that is what makes the Zendrum so COOL!  So in closing I for one appreciate that you put this video out there and we can all learn from it. Thumper
Thumper

timecutter

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 09:34:16 AM »

Thanks for posting this video - very informative, sounds great (and John you're looking good - you been losing weight?) 

I've been putting off doing the Z4 upgrade, thinking hey, my ZX is working well for me, why fix what ain't broke and start a new learning curve, but after seeing this, I'm definitely feeling the itch again. 

Mark

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »

JE,

Awesome video man.  You rock.  Great sounds, great playing, great gear (I'm gonna buy that rack!!!) and your well-produced video makes for a great representation of our fave instrument!  Kudos.

Jer

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »

Can someone explain to me that part about using the button as a panic button to stop the cymbals?

also, John, what do you use the momentary foot pedal for?

thanks,
~Jay

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »

Use the Midi Train feature to assign the panic button (it's an exclamation point in a circle at the bottom of the BFD window) to the sus pedal.  Start the midi learn feature by clicking on the word "Learn" (again, bottom of BFD window) and all available midi functions turn green.  Then, click on the panic icon... it turns bright green.  Press the Zendrum's sus switch, and you have assigned it.  now it will send an "all notes off" message, thereby choking the cymbals (and any other sounds that happen to be playing at the time).

Jer

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

......... John, what do you use the momentary foot pedal for?

thanks,
~Jay

Everything changes depending on the preset that I am working with.  A great function is to MIDI learn the solo button for the Room channel.  You can then open that up for a chorus of a tune and turn it off for a softer verse.  That is just an example.  Once you have it saved to a preset, it will always be there.
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 12:29:45 PM »

A great function is to MIDI learn the solo button for the Room channel.  You can then open that up for a chorus of a tune and turn it off for a softer verse.

Hey JE,

Cool idea!  Did you mean the MUTE button for the room channel?  (rather than the solo?)  If it were the Solo button, you'd lose the directs, overheads, and amb3, right?  Just clarifying.  Great ideas!

And, I hope I didn't step on your toes above replying about the Panic button idea.  I probably should have let you reply on that one; I was just excited, because again, it's such a good idea.  I wish I had thought of it... :-[!

Jer

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »

I also was wondering about John's momentary footswitch, and seeing the setup gave me an idea:

If the pedal were a LATCHING pedal, here's an idea:

Run the trigger out from the HATKat to the latching pedal, then from that to the secondary input of the FATKat.  Step on the pedal, and you'd get double bass pedals.  Step again, and it's back to HH.  (an E-drop clutch?  LOL ;D)  The downside would be that the left pedal would STILL be sending CC data, so you'd get HH chicks AND double bass (sometimes I do this on acoustics too, but not always).  Maybe 2 latching pedals: one goes double bass, the other turns the HH send on and off.  Is there a way to toggle between left foot HH/double bass with ONE pedal press?  Hhhmmmmmmmm... ???

Jer

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »

Use the Midi Train feature to assign the panic button (it's an exclamation point in a circle at the bottom of the BFD window) to the sus pedal.  Start the midi learn feature by clicking on the word "Learn" (again, bottom of BFD window) and all available midi functions turn green.  Then, click on the panic icon... it turns bright green.  Press the Zendrum's sus switch, and you have assigned it.  now it will send an "all notes off" message, thereby choking the cymbals (and any other sounds that happen to be playing at the time).

Jer

I am having a hard time figuring this out.  I'm trying to use the button on the Zendrum to do this.

The panic button works, however I can't figure out how to get it to be controlled by the Zendrum button.

I clicked the Note Learn button on the upper left on BFD2, then the (!) panic button, then pushed the button on the zendrum.  Did I do something wrong?

thanks,
~Jay

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 03:53:48 PM »

Jay,  Here's your problem:

You said it yourself: you clicked the NOTE Learn button on the left side of the BFD window.  The sus switch is NOT a note; this will not work.

Please see my earlier post; you need to click the WORD "Learn" at the BOTTOM of the BFD window.  Then all the midi commands will turn green, etc.  See that earlier post.

Good luck!

Jer

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 10:00:58 PM »

thanks... I'll have my eyes checked later ;)

I looked do hard, but didn't see it at the bottom.  Now I do... plain as day.  I'll give it a try later.  Thanks for your patience with me!  :)

~Jay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up