Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question re: Program Change  (Read 1453 times)

paradidl

Question re: Program Change
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »

I think I'm missing something simple here...

I have different Program Change #'s stored in various note maps.  When I change the UP to a new note map, the Program Change is not sent.  After changing to the desired UP I am having to go to PR, increment it up and back down, then -> to send the change.

Is there a way to send the Program Change when you select a new note map?  If not, what is the purpose of having a PR stored with each notemap?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Question re: Program Change
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »

The purpose of having it this way is so that you can scroll to another Program Change Number without sending every number in between. Software like BFD2, will be overrun with loading commands otherwise. Yes, you must change the number (even if you want the same program) to send the number. Also in BFD2, you can build a 32 piece kit and have multiple bass drums, snare drums, toms, etc., loaded and available instantly from a simple note map change in Set Up page with no load time involved for onstage work.
Hope this helps,
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

paradidl

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:22:10 PM »

Thanks for the lightning fast reply David!

The purpose of having it this way is so that you can scroll to another Program Change Number without sending every number in between. Software like BFD2, will be overrun with loading commands otherwise.

That makes perfect sense.

Also in BFD2, you can build a 32 piece kit and have multiple bass drums, snare drums, toms, etc., loaded and available instantly from a simple note map change in Set Up page with no load time involved for onstage work

SD2.1 works the same way and that's exactly what I'm using the notemaps for.  My ZD goes through an SPD-S before hitting the laptop and I have a different program in the SPD-S for each song with additional samples (backing keyboards, horn parts, vocals, etc).   It would be nice if when I changed the notemap for the purpose of getting different drum sounds it also sent the discrete program change # so the SPD-S would be loaded with the appropriate sounds.  I'll add this to the Blue Sky thread.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:37:59 PM by paradidl »

gonzo6

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 05:56:09 AM »

Dave:
So what you are saying . is that is I want to have say 5 different drum sets ( all different ) for the same gig using BFD2, I can save that key map and load it it up right before the tune is played?  How do I use this function, I wasn't clear about that from the manual.
Thanx
 Mike

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 06:18:58 AM »

Hey Mike,
If you use a larger piece kit in BFD and arrange it so that you have your basic kit plus additional snares, kicks, toms, etc. Each piece will have it's own MIDI note number. I've been using a 32 piece kit for this exact purpose.

There are 16 note map Set Ups or memory banks in the Zendrum (UP) all the way to the left.
You can arrange the maps to only change a few numbers around your "basic drumset" and recall the "additional/alternative" pieces as needed from the Up page of the Zendrum.
This way, there is no sound load time between songs, you're only sending different MIDI notes to an already loaded kit to make different drums available for various styles of music.
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

This is how I do it too.  If you're interested, here's my kit list:

-Main default kit
-Same kit, deep fat snare, more room send
-Same kit, piccolo snare
-Same kit, 2 toms exchanged for timbales

I also have a few kit pieces loaded that are not in any of my kits, but I quickly change note numbers (memorized) for tunes where I need these:

-Stick clicks
-Hand clap
-Vibra slap
-E-snare w/ claps layered
-A "dead" note number that triggers melodic note chains in my Roland TD-6

In other words, I NEVER have to load a kit on stage.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up