Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: California Dreamin'; trying to prevent nightmares.  (Read 1534 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
California Dreamin'; trying to prevent nightmares.
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »

Greetings Tribe.

My band has been asked to play a gig in LA come this January.  We're all really stoked.  Obviously there's a lot of prep work to be done, but we're handling it well.

I'm working on having a flight case made for my Zendrum and double- and triple-checking everything.  But it got me thinking:

If, in the absolute worst-case scenario, my Zendrum is somehow out of commission by the time we get to the gig, I'm kinda hosed.  All of my backup solutions are meant for one show or a few hours, not an extended trip.

Right now I'm tooling around with the idea of having the venue furnish an alternate controller just in case, but since I got my Zendrum, I haven't been WORKING with a lot of other controllers; so I'm kind of nervous that I'll have to learn a new instrument under crisis conditions.

So, I guess I have two questions:

1) Is there a controller that people would recommend as an emergency fix if needed?

2) Are there any Zendrummers (ZX model) in LA who would be willing to be "On Call" for a frantic Tribesman come January if needed?

Thanks for the input; be well, all!

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

jeff sanders

Re: California Dreamin'; trying to prevent nightmares.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »

a second zendrum is the first thing that comes to mind. id suggest an LT for two main reasons:

1. i seriously doubt your ZX will fail unless abused, (drunk knocks it off stage) so you probably wont be forced to use the LT solely, in the near future. easy for me to say.

2. #1 will give you time to learn to play on an LT plus you can multitask on both while wearing the ZX and vice versa.

oops now youll need 2  zens for backup :)

TNT

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »

My recommendation is to keep your ZX as your carry-on luggage for the flight.  That will dramatically reduce the risk of anything happening to it.  I've seen plenty acoustic guitars brought onto a plane and put in a small closet.  Don't let them tell you that your Zendrum is too big to be considered carry-on luggage.

Also, have spare MIDI cables with you.

Good luck with the gig!    ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:28:04 PM by TNT »

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:20:57 AM »

FedEx your Zen to your hotel before you arrive.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:57:36 AM »

I flew all the way to Iraq and then back with my Zen as a carry on bag, It fit perfectly into the overhead bin, I was also able to put my drum brain and all of my cables in a computer backpack and it fit in the same overhead bin with my Zen.  There were no issues other than security freaking out because they thought it was a weapon, especially since I was in my military uniform.  I gladly opened up the case to show off my baby and prove to them I was not a threat to national security, you would think the military uniform and all the credentials would have been enough, they still made me take off my shoes though.  Anyway, at a minimum, carry the Zen on with you, it will fit.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

jeff sanders

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »

FedEx your Zen to your hotel before you arrive.

:o

advising russian roulette with 2 bullets in the cylinder? gambling loss/ damage in shipping plus hotel delivery error/theft. call me paranoid but YIKES!

HostileReality

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 03:49:24 AM »

what about one of those roland handsonics as a backup? i've heard they're good for percussion.

jeff sanders

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »

what about one of those roland handsonics as a backup? i've heard they're good for percussion.

i use a handsonic for drum kits and percussion, i love mine. i didnt suggest one because i figured hed be better off tapping on familiar triggers than learning a new 'touch'. one thing nice about rolands gear is you can try it out first in most any music store before you buy, just to see if you like it.

im constantly learning new stuff about mine. i found out just yesterday, while reading the manual looking for something else, that i CAN import sequences into the handsonic. i was told by forum(other forum) folks from day one that was not possible. ive read the manual enough times i dunno how i missed it before, duh.

keep jamming
Pages: [1]   Go Up