Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not a problem - just a learning observation  (Read 1925 times)

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Not a problem - just a learning observation
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »

So I take the Draken out to a new jam location last night.  The host has a nice building behind his house for his big boy toys, coon dogs, car restoration projects, etc., etc.  He has one room set up as a studio (with a full kitchen) which can hold 10 - 15 musicians and all of their gear.  His father (awesome guitar and fiddle player) as well as his 12 yo son (prodigy on the guitar) were there to join the fun.  Several other musicians I've jammed with were also there, so I wasn't entirely new.  I arrive and the place is already rocking!  Super loud and the bass is really boomy.  Yeah, this is going to be a sweet jam I says to myself.  I set up my gear, plug in my wireless - and nothing!!  I check, triple check and replug everything in again - still nothing.  No MIDI signal getting out to my drum module.  I dig in and get my Merge Brick out, connect it up and - not only nothing, but no power to the Zen.  Somehow I had grabbed a 3-pin active cable vs. a 5-pin active.  I go back to the wireless set-up, and somehow, it starts working??  I start to play and notice it's cutting out every so often.  I move my setup to the other side of the room, and am still experiencing MIDI cutouts, or nothing at all.  I shut it all down and sit behind the cheap drum set they have in the room, and play for the next 45 minutes, having a good time I must say.  I decide to try the Zen set-up again, and now its working!!  What is going on I ask myself? 

Then to add injury to insult, I notice that my drum module (TD-10exp) MIDI channel 43 (Tom3) is acting really strange.  The notes are not as loud and are a distorted sound on any instrument sound assigned to it.  I start reassigning NO assignments to various pads to isolate the issue.  It all points to the module, not the Zendrum.  Great, now my module is dying I think. 

At this point I realize that the room volume is lower and not as many musicians are cranking it.  Then as I'm tweaking various Zen settings, I have an epiphany!!  I had set my Floor Level (FL) to 4 at home to maximize sensitivity.  In this jam room, the Zen was obviously being overwhelmed by all the noise/vibrations and was sending out tons of MIDI signals which locked up either the MIDJet Pro and/or the drum module.  I reset the FL to 6 and didn't have any more drop-outs or problems the rest of the night.  Yeah!!  The TD-10 MIDI Channel 43 self corrected itself later that night - why I haven't figured out yet.

By the end of 4 hour non-stop jam session, I was really cooking, and everyone was impressed by the Draken.  I'm really starting to pull out the power of the Z4.3 as I retrain my fingers for touch sensitivity.   It was a great learning experience, and helps explain some issues I have experienced before with my other Zendrum (3.0).  FL is your friend - use it wisely!  I go back next week, and hopefully I won't have any issues with everything now tweaked for this loud jam room.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Not a problem - just a learning observation
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:33:58 AM »

Great info post Peabody!
That's dead-on right.
I've done exactly the same thing at home and then realized that I can't even hear all those tiny, tiny drop strokes onstage.
Works great in the studio, though!

The Z4's overall performance increase means that the numbers won't look the same as you're used to on the 3.0.
I decided to raise the default noise floor to 6 and I can play it comfortably and (I hit what I mean to hit- well...most of the time, anyway  ::)) if I was Futureman, I could set my floor to 0 or 1 and get away with it, but I'll never have that level of dexterity or his minimum of movement when I play.
Onstage or in close quarters with rock volume and heavy bass, or standing right next to an acoustic kit with serious impacts, yes I'd raise that floor up to 20 if I had to- especially if I want to come out front and do the monster mash and pull out all my Pete Townsend/Jimi Hendrix moves.
I remember a tune-up repair back from Disney that had the floor set at 40 on an older ZX, and I thought-
How does he play this all day, every day?
Whatever, it worked fine for HIM.
Use the features to your advantage, find the perfect sweet spot for worst-case environments.
Store it, forget it and take it for granted, play some toons.
Rock On, Dudes.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:07:21 PM »

I notice that my drum module (TD-10exp) MIDI channel 43 (Tom3) is acting really strange.  The notes are not as loud and are a distorted sound on any instrument sound assigned to it.  I start reassigning NO assignments to various pads to isolate the issue.  It all points to the module, not the Zendrum.  Great, now my module is dying I think.  The TD-10 MIDI Channel 43 self corrected itself later that night - why I haven't figured out yet.

Pea-B,

Since in the TD-10, each instrument (at least most of them) have their own audio section on the mixer, perhaps you're having some sort of audio problem (intermittent, of course!) in the toms section of the mixer on the TD?  Just a thought... I can see no other reason you'd have trouble with a specific Midi note number (you said "midi channel", but it's actually the note number... channel is something else entirely).  If you do get this ironed out, let us know, ah'ight?

Jer

ps: The Draken rocks.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:10:09 PM »

Peabody,

Just curious 'bout pronunciation: does Draken rhyme with "bacon" or "blacken"?  ???

Enquiring minds need to know!

Jer

jeff sanders

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »

Peabody,

Just curious 'bout pronunciation: does Draken rhyme with "bacon" or "blacken"?  ???

Enquiring minds need to know!

Jer

+1

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »

Does Draken  rhyme with "bacon" or "blacken"?

AnswerDraken is Swedish for Dragon, hence the themed 3 dragon in-lays.  The Swedish pronounce it like 'blacken'.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

jeff sanders

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »

Does Draken  rhyme with "bacon" or "blacken"?

AnswerDraken is Swedish for Dragon, hence the themed 3 dragon in-lays.  The Swedish pronounce it like 'blacken'.

drinks to that!

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:13:22 AM »

Hey Peabody,
Just got an email from the fellow who bought your Magenta ZX.
Glad that worked out for both of you!

Just wanted to post here and reconfirm that the noise floor settings between 3.0 and Z4 are VERY different.

The default setting of 6 on the Z4 is roughly the same as 2-3 was on the older 3.0. That's very sensitive to touch and crosstalk. You must play with restraint and total control to use this setting, and it will pick up loud noises as hits.
As Tom found out, loud sonic vibration in a small space can be interpreted as intentional hits. As he said: "Noise floor is your friend".

The best action I've gotten is around 8-9 on the Z4, and I'm playing pretty hard with heavy amplification.

The 3.0 never sent any velocity less than the current noise floor value, whereas the Z4 will generate velocity values BELOW the currently selected noise floor.

An entirely new animal now. Maybe I should've made the default setting higher!
David
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation
Pages: [1]   Go Up