So I take the Draken out to a new jam location last night. The host has a nice building behind his house for his big boy toys, coon dogs, car restoration projects, etc., etc. He has one room set up as a studio (with a full kitchen) which can hold 10 - 15 musicians and all of their gear. His father (awesome guitar and fiddle player) as well as his 12 yo son (prodigy on the guitar) were there to join the fun. Several other musicians I've jammed with were also there, so I wasn't entirely new. I arrive and the place is already rocking! Super loud and the bass is really boomy. Yeah, this is going to be a sweet jam I says to myself. I set up my gear, plug in my wireless - and nothing!! I check, triple check and replug everything in again - still nothing. No MIDI signal getting out to my drum module. I dig in and get my Merge Brick out, connect it up and - not only nothing, but no power to the Zen. Somehow I had grabbed a 3-pin active cable vs. a 5-pin active. I go back to the wireless set-up, and somehow, it starts working?? I start to play and notice it's cutting out every so often. I move my setup to the other side of the room, and am still experiencing MIDI cutouts, or nothing at all. I shut it all down and sit behind the cheap drum set they have in the room, and play for the next 45 minutes, having a good time I must say. I decide to try the Zen set-up again, and now its working!! What is going on I ask myself?
Then to add injury to insult, I notice that my drum module (TD-10exp) MIDI channel 43 (Tom3) is acting really strange. The notes are not as loud and are a distorted sound on any instrument sound assigned to it. I start reassigning NO assignments to various pads to isolate the issue. It all points to the module, not the Zendrum. Great, now my module is dying I think.
At this point I realize that the room volume is lower and not as many musicians are cranking it. Then as I'm tweaking various Zen settings, I have an epiphany!! I had set my Floor Level (FL) to 4 at home to maximize sensitivity. In this jam room, the Zen was obviously being overwhelmed by all the noise/vibrations and was sending out tons of MIDI signals which locked up either the MIDJet Pro and/or the drum module. I reset the FL to 6 and didn't have any more drop-outs or problems the rest of the night. Yeah!! The TD-10 MIDI Channel 43 self corrected itself later that night - why I haven't figured out yet.
By the end of 4 hour non-stop jam session, I was really cooking, and everyone was impressed by the Draken. I'm really starting to pull out the power of the Z4.3 as I retrain my fingers for touch sensitivity. It was a great learning experience, and helps explain some issues I have experienced before with my other Zendrum (3.0). FL is your friend - use it wisely! I go back next week, and hopefully I won't have any issues with everything now tweaked for this loud jam room.