Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Trigger set ups  (Read 9140 times)

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
Trigger set ups
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:08:48 PM »

Hi all,
I was wondering how everyone sets up there triggering? Do you keep the factory defaults, or do you set the triggers up according to some master plan?

I think I got off on the wrong foot when I intially started playing with mine. I tried a few different set ups, got frustrated, didn't make/have time to practice, and essentially stopped. Now I am going back to trying to master this, and I am interested in knowing HOW, and WHY, some set ups may be better than others. I know its an individual kinda thing, but I feel a bit lost. I think when I set mine up, I didn't have enough experience to know which triggers I want close to each other, which are better to have duplicated, and where, etc. The factory defaults sem to be ok, but I'd realy like to know how everyone has there's set up. Can we do this using the Annotations as described in the resource site?

Incidentally, when I first started playing the Zendrum, after a month I actually was gigging with it. But I never got comfortable, and found I was concentrating so much on the technical aspect of playing the instrument, I was not flowing, and just playing. I think I expected to master this too soon, and WAY too easily. Now that I've "grown up", I realise this is gonna take some time, and lots of work. So, if I am going to figure this out, I need help!

Thanks all
Rand
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
Re: Trigger set ups
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:59:18 AM »

I use about 4 basic setups, and they vary a lot, being what may be tambourine on one kit is shaker on another, even though its the same setup on the ZD.  This way, changing kits gives me versatility as well as changing setups.

My basic setup for regular 'kit' playing is this:

My right hand rests on Bass1, with fingers tapping Snare1 and HH close/open.  This allows the left hand to play clave and claps while running tom fills without stopping the basic rhythm.  I have another setup where those toms are congas/bongos, to run percussion under basic grooves.

The left hand can also reach under to ghost the snare, or pull double bass riffs off of Bass2, which is tuned differently to avoid "machine gunning".

It becomes very simple to move the hand up or over to switch to rides and even change the snare.  This setup basically allows the right hand to ride (on ride1, ride2, hh, cowbell, tamb, whatever) and play the bass1 and either snare1 or snare2 depending on position, while the left hand does perc/toms.  Right hand also gets control of accents with the crashes and the stuff way at the tail end.  This is done mostly for theatrics.  If you just rush your hand from the crashes to the splash/vibraslap section, it looks real cool to end a song.

I usually play HH/S1/B1 one handed or B1/S2/R2 1 handed.  If I ride right on pretty much any piece, the left hand sneaks under for B2/S1 riffing.

And that's my primary of 4 setups.  Another is the latin perc one, another has snares ane basses run where there toms are and all of the tail being rides, literally to stretch the arms if playing live, and another is a hybrid of some of these, allowing a two handed riding, with a tambourine/shaker at both left and right hand.  Again, on some kits, my Splash might be a whistle or such, but its always a high end accent, so I don't have to know the exact kit, but I know the utility of the sound.

Of course, there are some songs that abandon all this and just go another way altogether.

Hope that gives you something to chew on.
Play nice.

Zenfem#9

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

Fascinating Geo, not the way I am set up at all!  I can't wait to try it!  Hey, I would love to see more setups...Geo, where can we get that template of the zen you have so that we can post our own?

Raven
"music is to me proof of the existence of God"
Kurt Vonnegut

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:24:48 PM »

I made it at work today to answer this question.  Its a PNG file.  I can make it available, but not until Monday, when I get back there...
Play nice.

GrimRich

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

I have a Zendrum patch sheet in PDF format you can download here:
http://www.threehourtourmusic.com/Zendrum_PatchSheet.pdf

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 12:00:24 AM »

Thought I'd chime in with mine.

I think the tags are pretty obvious, but a few I wanted to point out:

RC: Ride cymbal
CH: China cymbal
OHH: Open hi-hat
X & Y: set-specific  tones.  Usually a splash or tambourine, cross-stick.

This is my basic general-use trapset map.  Kick/Snare/hats are on both sides, pretty much mirroed so I can do a basic groove one-handed on either hand.  The ride cymbal is on three pads so I can just spread my hand and get some interestying intreactions between the hi-hat and ride.  On the far side of the Zendrum, if I have a tambourine on the X pad I can get some cool layering effects going on. 

The cymbals are all up top; by angling my hand one way or the other I can get specific cymbals, or by spreading my hand I can get everything at once. Toms are on the center range so I can get 'em with both hands, either by themselves or along with a groove. 

In most of the stuff I'm doing I don't tend to do a lot of percussion-plus-drums or layerring, so I don't have a lot of "discrete" pads, but I've got a few other setups for that.  But for playing anything that most of us listen to, that's what I use.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:01:15 AM by Jaay »
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »

I thnik this thread will help unlock a lot of different playing techniques, which I hope will help all of us. I know that reviewing these I have already seen a different approach to playing then what I set up. My pads are all individualized, I inititially thought it would be better... like having one drum or sound per trigger. Nope... doesn't work well.  I am going to play with different setups, but looking at these, now I have a direction to go in.

Geo, you've been at this a while, and you've already gone through trial and error setups, which I hope I can use as a shortcut of sorts, to make playing easier with a more efficient setup. I'd like to post my own setups as well, so I will wait for you to make that png file available.
Thanks !
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 11:56:07 AM »

Here's a link to my trigger setup using a TD-10exp.ftp://

http://launch.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/zendrum/photos/view/19b7?b=1
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »

My pads are all individualized, I inititially thought it would be better... like having one drum or sound per trigger.

I use two modules. One is often set to overlay either shaker, tamborine or latin percussion over certain pads.  Break the rules.  That's what this thing is for.
Play nice.

firemusician

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 06:58:04 AM »

Hello everyone, here is my layout. I basically followed this set up for every style of kit from drums, to percussion, etc. The difference with a percussion kit would be the snare on the left side would be a conga slap, etc.   I welcome input form the masses. There is toomuch potential out there. Hope everyone is doing well, take care and stay safe, Mark
Mark Nelson:  Fire fighter, Sound engineer, Musician and all around nice guy.

1st generation Zendrum, Asus 2.5 GHz  laptop with BFD2, Alesis DM-Pro.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 07:38:36 AM »

Looks like i could spend an entire day just playing around with these different setups.  I have a lot of repeated samples on mine (largely because I'm mostly thumbs!).  Anyhow, here is the setup I use most.  Others are slight variations based on which predominant samples I use the most.  i also have a different patch for percussion that I will try to post later.

Using this setup, I normally do the one-handed groove using my right hand on the small buttons at the face of the tail (crash, bass, closed hat, snare) using index finger for bass, mid finger for hat and sliding over to get the snare. If I  need to do a slow song I switch to thumb on the bass drum and reach down to the "stick' button on the tail.

When I go to a ride cymbal groove I switch to the large bass button on the face with the ride just below it and the snare below that on the bottom slant of the Zen.  I use my thimb on the bass button, middle finger on the ride, and slide down to hit the snare.

Toms are something i am still trying to master.  Right now when I do a fil I will use the bass on the face as an anchor and move through T1,2,3 opn the bottom of the Zen.  If I need to do Tom rolls, I Thumb the top buttons and smack the bottom buttons with my little finger.

I use the small side buttons for snare rolls and bass drum accents with the left hand as well as for more intricate hi-hat work. Th rerason the "stick" is doubled is to enable me to use the bass-ride combination and still get a stick sound into the whole groove.

It would really be great if we could all get together somehow and show each other how we make these setups work.  There's nothing like seeing it to copy it!!

...Rod

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 08:15:26 PM »

ok guys, I'd like to add my percussion set ups to this thread, but I can't figure out how to download the pdf or jpg files, write on them, save them , and upload to this site. Argh!
If one of you fine gentleman can help us out on this, it would be appreciated....

I've left #15 and #16 as they were originally. I have a TD-10 that I am using, so I can change the drum sets, but leave the trigger set up alone. I change the percussion triggers only, so I can flip back and forth between 15 and 16 and get different percussive sounds, but leave the basics the same.

I set up a couple of different percussion sets on #10 and #11, each setup is different. I'll upload them if I can.
Thanks all, this has been informative. Since I am so new at this, it helps to see what others with experience are doing.

eDrummer53

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
    • The road to Forgiveness
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »

If you download the patch sheet that Grimrich has a link for earlier in this thread, you can fill it in and save it as a ".PNG" file.  Then you can upload it as an attachment.

I also have a MS PowerPoint file that you can edit and save as a Jpeg which is also uploadable as a post to this thread.  I would have to e-mail that to you.

Regards,

...Rod

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 08:42:46 PM »

If you download the patch sheet that Grimrich has a link for earlier in this thread, you can fill it in and save it as a ".PNG" file.  Then you can upload it as an attachment.

edrummer,
I tried to do this, but I don't seem to be able to save the file with a ".png" extension, then open it.... sure did try tho!  PICTURE IT does not open it, nor does Paint. How do I save the picture as a png file? I'm not sure Adobe supports that.
Rand

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 06:08:07 AM »

Yeah, it seems most folks don't have anything that edits a PNG file.

I'm looking into other options for us to get a standard.
Play nice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up