Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Hard Case for the Zendrum ZX for under $25  (Read 9218 times)

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
Re: Custom Hard Case for the Zendrum ZX for under $25
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »

I'm trying to put pics up of mine, but I can't shrink them down enough to fit within the size limit!  Help?

I use photobucket.com for photos I want to post on forums.  Sizing is very easy then.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »

I did the next best thing... had it done for me!  ;D

Here's my contribution.  It ain't as fancy as the Drakencase, but it has a charm all it's own, methinks.

For the storage compartment, I used double-sided adhesive squares to affix the binder side to the original case wall.  I also caulked a piece of fabric aroud that lower box, not only to protect the wall and finish of my instrment, but to help keep the binder/lid in place.  I'm thinking that maybe later on I'll fill in the gaps with some more caulk.

I thought about adding a hook-and-loop closure to the lid, but nothing seems to be rattling around thus far so I may just leave well enough alone.

-Jaay
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

peabody58

• Tribesman
  • The Draken!
    • View Profile
    • Tom's Piece of the Web
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »

I did the next best thing... had it done for me!  ;D

Here's my contribution.  It ain't as fancy as the Drakencase, but it has a charm all it's own, methinks.

Looks great Jaay.  I've found the case is subbing as my 'stand' for when I'm on breaks.  Hence the case is open most of the time, and people really like to look inside the case.  A few more finishing touchs and yu'dd be in case heaven.
The  'Draken' - custom themed mother-of-pearl in-layed ZX-Z4, longest build in history: 173 days!  Curley Maple/Zebrawood/Curley Maple.  Internal Wireless / Volume Knob.  Custom Case.  Roland TD-10exp / (2) JBL EON G2

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »

So I recently made one of these for myself. However, I changed the configuration a little bit. I didn't utilize the notch, as I felt that put the "nose" of the ZX a little too close to the hard edge of the case. So instead, I arranged it at an angle with the "nose" in the bottom corner of the case, the flat side of the "tail" where the two compartments are (facing "up" towards the handle), and only cut out enough foam to nestle the instrument fairly snugly in that position. That way there is foam protection on all sides and if it's bumped, it's got suffiicient support to absorb the impact in any direction. The weight of the ZX is therefore also supported by the top surface where there are no triggers, when the case is being held by the handle.

One thing I've noticed is that the lid of the case (which is also made of styrofoam like the bottom) is rather firm and I have to sandwich the ZX pretty tightly into the case. This raises a bit of concern; while it means the ZX is held in place and can't move much, I'm a little worried about how much pressure it's putting on the triggers. It only comes in partial contact with them; the specific place where it doesn't have clearance is where the lid juts out a bit to seal up the two compartments when the case is closed. I'm just hoping that it won't cause any problems and that the styrofoam will settle in soon enough so that it's snug, but not so tight.

I also replaced the "stock" strap with a nice padded lambskin one with softer rolled edges. While I liked the stamped logo on the original strap, in my opinion, it's about the same quality as the ones that come with Guitar Hero guitars, except it has to hold something 7 times heavier. I'm not a big fan of having a chafed neck and was a little surprised that the Zendrum came with something so flimsy and cheap.

Pocket Master

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Pocket Master
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »

I think that the reason that the Zendrum comes with a generic strap is that there are so many different "guitar" straps out there, that nobody would use a strap that came with the Zendrum except when you take it out of the box and play it for the first time, I did, it wasn't until the following weekend that I went to the local music store and bought 2 straps that I thought were cool.  But what I like is not going to be the same as another, so why put money into a nice strap that ZD likes and sent it off to be left in the plastic bag and not be used because of personal preference.  Just my opinion.

Rob
Zebrawood ZX-Z4, 30 Triggers, Honey Sunburst Flame Maple ZX-Z4, 29 Triggers on the ZX BABY!!!!, Apple® MacBook® Pro, Ableton Live, Superior Drummer 2.0 with expansion packs, BFD2, Internal Wireless Midijet Pro, Roland FC-300 MIDI Foot Controller, QSC K12 and Ksub

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 03:19:07 PM »

I get that, and considered that possibility myself. I don't want to turn this into a criticism thread--I am satisfied with my instrument, and I know the strap is a personal choice that has to be made. The strap is just far more bare-bones than I am accustomed to with all the attention that goes into manufacturing a Zendrum and the obvious TLC that David puts into the process. It seemed incongruous on the far end of the scale and it would have been nice to get at least a little life out of the strap before running out and having to get a new one right away.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »

I am still using the strap that came with my Zendrum.  I guess I will have to get with the program and find me a statement strap that I can be proud of.Thumper
Thumper

tigerxchaos

• Tribal Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2011, 07:23:04 AM »

Hey Thumper,
I don't really care how the strap looks. Honestly, I don't think many people pay attention to the "guitarist's" strap--I know I never have, in the hundred-plus concerts I've been to. It was just so uncomfortable to wear, that I had to constantly reposition it, move it around, move it away from my neck so the edges wouldn't rub and chafe my skin, etc. I wasn't expecting that given the quality of the rest of the package.

It's a matter of personal preference, I guess. It's moot at this point, I have a strap I can wear now for more than a few minutes. It's not flashy and it doesn't make a statement...it's just nice and soft and padded and comfortable.

Sorry if I insulted anyone by commenting on the strap--I'm starting to get the feeling I've committed some sort of faux pas here.

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »

I might have to go to one of those soft wooly ones. Mine is always slipping down on me. Hmmmm come to think of it I had a mic stand like that once. >-D Thumper
Thumper

randtor

• Tribesman
  • Sunburst Zendrum
    • View Profile
    • Red Eye Flight
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

Funny this should come up! I still use the strap that came with the zendrum, and thats going on 5 years now, lol! So, a few months ago I decided to buy a new strap, as the band I am with plays americana music (alt./outlaw country rockabilly), and I thought I would buy something more suited to the genre. I was at guitar center for a nice electric strip (filters, etc to bypass line noise), and happened by the straps. Perused for 10 minutes and bought a real nice one. Brought it home, and it's still in the bag, 2 month later, lol! I dunno, for some weird reason, I just can't bring myself to change straps. Kinda like a nice old pair of slippers I guess.  :-\

Rand
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:32:25 PM by randtor »
www.reverbnation.com/redeyeflight
Red sunburst Zendrum (sweet!!!); Diamond Drum kit =~> Black Crystal with Bermuda Sand Stripes -- Bass-18x14 * Snare-13x5.5 * Tom1-10x7 * Tom2-12x8; TDW-20 with VEX Packs (VST1,2 & 3; Vintage and Exotic Kits); VdrumLib; Life is Good!

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 11:33:49 PM »

Hey. I just thought I would jump in here. My Z4 is made from figured cherry with purple heart center and it is a little heavier than the average. So I went out to GC and bought a Bass guitar strap which has a grid pattern of air pockets that sit on my shoulder. I like it and I have had it from the begginning. Hope this helps.

DrShark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »

I never have used the straps that have come with any of my Zendrums, but I would really dig a black leather one with the "Z" logo embossed on it.  109, if you do this, I'll buy one!  You could also offer different colors of leather.  Leather can be classy and timeless, like the wood construction of a Zendrum, but it can also be edgy (biker-style.)  I think it would have more universal appeal and feeling of "quality" than the nylon ones, although at a higher cost of course.

Jer
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up