Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit  (Read 8662 times)

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Re: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »

Some of those specs definitely look tasty.  I like the assignable trigger inputs.

Is there any data on how physically large the unit is?

The only feature my DTX seems to have over it thus far is the ability to chain kits together and the fact that I'm not seeing much info regarding accepting MIDI PC commands.
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editor.
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 12:50:14 PM »

Geosphere, regarding importing samples, it looks like there might soon be a backdoor of sorts via Pearl's R.E.D. Box, which appears to be just a rebranded DM10.  Pearl has apparently partnered with various VST makers and is in the process of building a storefront for downloading sample packs:  http://www.redboxsoundshop.com/

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't also a way to inject your own samples into those packs.  A bit more on this here:  http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/799
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 05:16:49 PM »

Hey folks,
Here's what I know about it so far.

I have a DM-10 here and I'm officially a big fan. It's 12" wide, 7 &1/2" deep, and 2" tall.
As usual, the factory presets needed help to work best with my Zendrum, and I used some Zendrum tricks to get more out of it than Alesis intended but- it's REALLY talking, now, with four-way velocity splits sent from the Z4, left/right hand voiced triggers for each tom, layered Kick and crash to finish up the fill. Big time movement in the rides and hihats beyond what one note can produce, then filtered the two sound layers so there are actually eight sounds changing from one Zendrum trigger. That's really deep to have moving under your fingers and very playable.
Each Note/sound is comprised of two layers in similar fashion to the DM-Pro, but the operating system is nice and simple to tweak each sound, name, and save. I did my editing on a keyboard first so I could isolate every note and make four sequential notes play soft/medium/loud/HOT from one trigger so the timbre is always changing with every strike, therefore the expression is pretty amazing even when compared with larger computer software libraries.

Both the Alesis and the Pearl units are set up to be overwritten with other third-party software sounds,
and they appear to be identical in function but not in the exact libraries but there's enough cool sounds in either stock library to cover my needs for a while.
I'm happy to have something new to recommend to Zendrummers that is easy to understand and edit, with the sounds easily tweaked to sit in a mix nicely. I'll try to share my editing and give some tips for personalizing.
Cool thing is- I can sysex another unit from this one and do the initial Zendrum set up for you. That's a good starting point to work from to take the headache out for first-timers.
Plug and PLAY. I LIKE THIS.

Thanks for sharing the links, these are both good sound engines for the Zendrum.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 05:22:07 PM by Inspector 109 »
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »

You should totally post that syx file!   :)

Lately I've been running back to my TD-20 when I need to use a stand-alone module.  How would you compare the stock sounds on the DM10?  Are they in the same league?
◊ Creator of ZenEdit, the Premiere Zendrum Editing Suite: http://nebiru.com/zenedit/

Ask me about:
Zendrum ZX 4.0 -- Roland TDW-20, SPD-S, SPD-11 -- Alesis DM-Pro -- E-MU Planet Earth, Protean Drums -- BFD2, Battery 3

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »

As with anything in music, it's personal taste and practical application, not good or bad.
I think the newer sounds they included are more natural. Cymbals, snares- it's very apparently something new and better. It's obvious some of the older samples made it into this new module just to fluff the tally numbers. I've never seen a drum module where I liked all the choices they made to fill the memory, but you can make this work just fine as a drumset and still have some vaudeville noises and squirrel barks, too. Rumor has it that this will retail $6-700 apart from the entire kit. I love Alesis when they keep things simple. Makes my job of Zendrum tech support much easier! (with Roland I have to ask one of our Forum experts for help) I have a few concerns about the expandable aftermarket libraries- What happens when many gigs of original 24 bit samples are compressed to fit into 16 bit 128 meg? We'll see. (maybe you can help me post that Zendrum sysex when I get a little further with the final edits...) I'm digging the factory sound rom library for now, just needs some love with the tuning and mix to make things smooth. I've been "ducking and shading" with Alesis sounds for more than twenty years. The Pearl unit is very similar, so we'll all have to use our ears to decide what's best for our musical application.
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Jaay

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 08:57:03 PM »

did anyone else notice that the front panel of the Pearl and Alesis units look bloody near identical to each other?  Does this raise anyone else's eyebrows?
"Batman Purple" ZX, Roland TD-9, MIDI Solutions Footswitch Controller, misc. triggers.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:43:58 PM »

Jaay, Pearl just licensed the DM10 from Alesis and rebranded it.  Same story with the cymbals (they're Smarttriggers).  About the only R&D it appears they did is with the pads -- they retrofit existing acoustic shells and actually look pretty intriguing.

The video on this page details these features a bit more:
http://www.steveweissmusic.com/category/pearl-e-pro-live

Overall the module sounds a little dated to me, but near the end of that video they showcase an imported Toontrack kit, which is *very* nice to my ears.

David, it looks like you can only import one VST-based kit at a time, i.e all 128MB is taken up by ONE kit.  Slightly less than flexible in that case :/  ... and even still the samples would need to be highly compressed and dithered.  Still, does sound pretty good on that video.

I really feel we're on the cusp of big changes here with modules.  The limiting factor is really just the cost of flash ram.  Now that SSDs are becoming mainstream though, those prices are starting to plummet.  It probably won't be too long before 64 or 128GB of ram in a stand-alone module will become standard fare.  Given the long development cycles of these machines, if I were Roland/Alesis/DDrum/Yamaha/etc, then that's the sorta specs I'd be targeting with my R&D right now, safely assuming the costs would come down in a year or two.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:46:34 PM by DrumWagon »

Ask me about:

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 05:54:50 PM »

Geosphere, regarding importing samples, it looks like there might soon be a backdoor of sorts via Pearl's R.E.D. Box, which appears to be just a rebranded DM10.  Pearl has apparently partnered with various VST makers and is in the process of building a storefront for downloading sample packs:  http://www.redboxsoundshop.com/

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't also a way to inject your own samples into those packs.  A bit more on this here:  http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/799

You will not be able to import your own sounds into these modules.

Both of these units are going to support third party expansion packages based on VST libraries, but you will not be able to put an expansion pack from one into the other.  For example, sounds on the red box shop will not go into in the DM10.  Both companies are looking to have the capability, but they will not be interchangeable.

Hope this helps,
John
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

wb_drumz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 12:31:17 PM »

I just picked up the DM10 and love the basic sounds, although I would have preferred a rack set up. My main concern is that I can't get a bass guitar patch to work in tendem on the same channel with drum sounds. They have an "accompompaniment" section reserved for sequencing and playing sounds, and that is where you can trigger bass, but so far I can't separate (or blend) the two. If anyone is interetsed in helping me figure this out please respond.
In the DMPro, I have the ability to do play drums and bass on the same Channel 10.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »

I just picked up the DM10 and love the basic sounds, although I would have preferred a rack set up.

When I was using my TD-20 I had mounted it to a rack mounted drawer.  This took 3Us to comfortably clear the tops of the knobs, so I placed it in a shallow 6U rack, which gave me room for power conditioning, outboard effects, etc.   Only modification I had to make was to engineer in a latch at the back of the drawer to keep it from smashing back and forth in transit.  Otherwise was a pretty effective off-the-shelf (pun intended) solution to rack mounting an otherwise cumbersome module.

Here's a similar drawer for not much wampum:
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Accessories-Drawer-Sliding-Shelf/dp/B000HRGSXY

HTH

Ask me about:

wb_drumz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:22 AM »

I was thinking of using the SKB Laptop based rack in this link:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SKB-RSF2U-LIST

I could keep everything plugged in, add a back up DMPro, as well as a line mixer if needed.
The DM10 is almost the same "footprint" as a lapotp.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 09:39:26 AM »

The DM10 is almost the same "footprint" as a lapotp.

The DM10 is actually a lot smaller.
Play nice.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 10:50:25 AM »

I use the exact same case (though the larger notebook one with 4Us) and the top is not that deep.  There is some dense foam inside the lid that presses the laptop down and the lid itself has quite a bit of flex to it in the center.  I'd be concerned for the knobs on the top of the DM10, especially if the case was struck above them when closed.

Here's a shot of the larger unit.  Although that's a full size notebook, it's relatively thin.  Even so I have trouble closing the lid and it does bulge out in the middle.  I need to handle it with kid gloves when transporting it:

They are heavier, but it might be safer to go with a DJ style top-mount flight case.   Just my two cents.

Ask me about:

wb_drumz

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

This is good to know...prevents me from making another questionable purchase. Perhaps the rack draw solution, or a rack shelf with enough slack in cables to bring out the DM10 to the top of the rack and access it there.

DrumWagon

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »

With the rack drawer, i wound up having to put it at the bottom.  To quote the Moody Blues, it's A Question of Balance.

Ask me about:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up