Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: drum/percussion technique/exercise books?  (Read 1369 times)

T-Sharp

drum/percussion technique/exercise books?
« on: July 19, 2009, 04:08:20 AM »

Hi All,
I've been in a very lucky position to be able to get a half decent amateur studio together. In the process of this I've been able to finally dive headlong into the world of hitting things in musical fashion - drums and percussion (picking up a HD1, a Handsonic 10, and best of all, a beautiful ZX Zendrum that is on its way down under).

Can anyone recommend me some exercise or technique books (for a beginner) to hone my skills? drum or percussion related, I don't really mind. Just looking to get my dexterity and independance up. I know that Chapin and Gary Chester books have been recommended, but these seem to be for the drums. Are there any out there for percussion?

Not enjoying being humbled (with a complete lack of skill) on these new instruments, my beloved keys seem so much simpler!

jeff sanders

Re: drum/percussion technique/exercise books?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »

maybe search youtube for free vids and if you still need books try searching percussion forums for suggestions. keep in mind they may not translate directly to the electronic units but they can get you started emulating various hand drums while you discover your voice.
good luck

Tom Roady

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 04:33:46 PM »

T-Sharp, you might try to find some books on frame drumming...that technique is perfect for Zendrum....there may be some books by David Kuckhermann...he owns a zendrum and has some videos playing it on his webbpage   framedrums.de/ or his facebook  www.facebook.com/.../David-Kuckhermann/1041313605
or myspace  www.myspace.com/davidkuckhermann..."the mayor"

Jazzodict

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »

Hey T-Sharp, further to Tom's post .... you may also be interested in checking out Glen Velez's videos on Youtube ... I believe he is the ultimate master frame drummer - an example ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB0hE-YlfzQ.

Also, since my background is the Indian drum Tabla ... I think googling 'Tabla Techniques' might yeild some interesting info - here's one ..... http://chandrakantha.com/tablasite/bsicbols.htm

Hope this helps .... happy drumming!

Cheers
Uday

GaryM

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:58:56 AM »

T-Sharp,

My humble, experience-based advice to what's already been offered:

David & Glen are perfect references, both from the Middle Eastern finger drumming tradition. That's my specialty - I would highly recommend getting a Riqq and Karim Nagi's DVD (google it). Nothing will develop your finger strength and control like the Riqq, and it's a wonderful "analog" backup in a worst case scenario. Be careful, though. Riqqs are addictive and expensive. Get a good one (It's much cheaper to get a good one first rather than go the long route and first buy several cheap and crappy ones). Get a Cooperman [http://www.cooperman.com/coopermanriq.php], and then when you're good and rich, get a Kevork. Darbuka is a good second choice...same advice on these.

Best,
-Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up