Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Visit to Zendrum HQ  (Read 5089 times)

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
Visit to Zendrum HQ
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

Good day ladies and gentleman. I had the wonderful opportunity to visit "The Factory" and experienced the hospitality of David and Gena. What a great place to be and check out. Along with great conversation, there was some historic Zendrums gracing the inner sanctum with marvelous stories to go along with them. YAWN, sorry. I was there until the weee hours of the morning, but was loving every minute of it. So I had both Zendrum injected with the Z4 steroid. I will be messing around for a while before I comment. I will say that there may be some variation in performance based on which module is used.  The BFD2 and Mac Book Pro combo really rocks the world.

Thanks David and Gena. Continued good luck and success.

P.S. Hey Jer, I saw your flame maple/ purple heart ZX in the shop. We opened it and saw all the blue tape patches with notes on them.  It was still hot from your last performance. :D

Also, if anybody is interested in a midnight purple sunburst flame maple Zendrum with the Z4 upgrade, I will sell it for a reasonable price in order for me to order another LT in another color.
It is in perfect condition.

Mark
Figured Cherry/ Purple Heart/ Figured Cherry Custom ZX Z-4
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

It is better to beat on something, then to beaten on

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
Re: Visit to Zendrum HQ
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »

Hey Doc,
Good to hang with you too.
(we had a lot to discuss until 2AM didn't we?)
I appreciate the effort it took to come straight from work to make this happen, I was worried about you staying awake on the long ride home. Glad to hear you made it!
Burn that new board in.
Working on zendrumdude's ZX today. (major surgery)
Inspector 109
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

paradidl

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:20 AM »

Working on zendrumdude's ZX today. (major surgery)
Inspector 109

Hopefully a certain Flame Maple Dark Honey Sunburst is next....?

Inspector 109

• "The Head" of Zendrum R&D
  • Tribal Leader
  • The Big Bald One
    • View Profile
    • Zendrum.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »

Finish being buffed out today.
Comin' right up!
David Haney
Zendrum Corporation

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:01:42 PM »

Finish being buffed out today.
Comin' right up!

Don't you mean "Comin' right left right right up"?
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

Doc,

Glad you got to see the "Jam Sandwich" in person... it's pretty, ain't it?!?!?  109 sent me a pic of the finished product, and no blue painter's tape to be seen.  Laying that out was no small feat, let me tell you!  (And I'm sure even MORE work once the drill came out to play.  Glad I didn't see THAT part; my molars would all be flat!)  I can't wait 'til we can discuss the merits of the Z4/BFD2/MacBook pro setup... maybe next week!

Jer

paradidl

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

Don't you mean "Comin' right left right right up"?

One step closer...Gina sent me this latest pic after buffing and all I could say was "right left right RIGHT ON!"

All that's left right left left to do is 109's final assembly & calibration...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:26:38 PM by paradidl »

timecutter

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »

whew, beautiful....

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »

The completely finished product can be seen on the Zendrum Corporation facebook page. This is a beautiful instrument !! You are a luckey person, whoever gets this baby.

Mark
Midnight Purple Sunburst Flame Maple LT Z-4, Roland TD-20 Kit and module/ SPD-30/  MacBook Pro/Addictive Drums software/BFD2 software/Superior Drummer 2, QSC K12 & K-Sub

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

I  am starting my preparation for a great road trip to Zendrum Headquarters. The way my logic was working was if I was going to ship 2 ZX's to and fro that it would be a good chunk of change and I could use that for gas and also would also get away from work for a couple of days.. I am estimating that the drive should take around 15 hours or so from Austin Texas, so I am leaving early Saturday morning and drive until I don't feel like driving anymore get a room then head back out Sunday to arrive  there sometime in the afternoon. I am planning on adding a couple of more triggers and the Z4 upgrade to both. I am hoping that the learning curve will be small as this is a new animal. The excitement from the launch has me wanting the latest and greatest so here I go blindfolded and  throwing both hands on my ZX's . Looks like a lot more practicing in my future.  Thumper
Thumper

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »

Come on Thumper. The weather here is fine.  The trip will be very memorable for you. Have fun and have a safe journey.

Mark

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:16:34 AM »

Yea I am on my way. Thumper
Thumper

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »

Ok drshark, Zendrummer Its been awhile since you have had the upgrade so what are some of your observations about the new Z4. Tell us what your is your module, or software and  speaker system. When I got back from headquarters  I had save my midi note numbers and their locations on the printable map that can be downloaded from the web page so that part was easy. I had added 3 new triggers and a volume knob to my Zx's so I had to figure out what sounds I wanted on those triggers . I had Talked with David about a volume knob and we found out that with the new circuit board adding the volume knob was pretty easy.  David had help me calibrate my Zen before I left.I   I had a little trouble with some double triggering when I got home and played. I was wondering If you had any trouble also?  I ended up setting my Floor at 9 and most of my problems went away. I was also having a little problem with my new triggers in that they were a little hotter than my ones that had those sounds already so I played around with the Recalibration and got that fixed. I also was having trouble with my toms and ride cymbal and that they were a constant loudness and then I realized that I had set them up in the module to be like that. I hate when I forget things that I do for reasons that were good when I did them.   I play thur a TD-20 and a Bose Model II with 2-4 subs. Hope this helps someone . Thumper
Thumper

drshark

• Tribesman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »

Hey Thumper,

Good to hear from you. I also play through a TD-20 module and I found the toms needed to be turned up in the mix. I don't understand that because I did not change them anywhere. I just made the adjustment with the faders. I also just had my first midi cable breakdown. Now I feel like I am a real musician. I understand that is a badge of honor. I guess I am feeling like there is less delay, but it is really hard for me to determine that.  I do believe that there is going to be more diffrence of opinion based on the response played through diffrent modules and diffrent software. I am not a sound engineer, ( I wish I had that kind of knowledge), so I am still feeling it out. Inspector 109 went through the theory of the upgrade with me and it made sense and I trust and respect him. I am still trying to realize all of the advantages of it. This will take time and I am also considering upgrading to the BFD2 with some new module. I have the sneaking suspicion that this type of upgrade will allow us to really see the diffrence. I am very interested to hear from Jer on this as well.

Also, I was wondering if Mr. Emrich could consider recording some choked cymbal sounds on his BFD software for us prog rock music lovers. We still have no ability to do this and I need it badly.

Mark

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

Mark,

You can choke cymbals!  In BFD2 you can take one MIDI note and assign it as a choke for all of the cymbals.  I have used one trigger on the Zendrum to choke all cymbals.  I have also used the hold pedal input to choke cymbal sounds.  

I will take it under advisment for future sample packs.  The only issue with Cymbal samples is the total size of the sample.  I just did a small batch and the average size for each was around 1.5GB!  And that was with a small velocity amount.  

Try using MIDI learn in BFD2 and drag all of the cymbals to the same note generated by one trigger on your Zendrum.  One of the options in the articulation list will be choke.  Give that a try for now.  It will function like the choke strip on an electronic cymbal.

Cheers!  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:00:12 PM by john emrich »
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up