Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions with using Reason 4.0  (Read 1565 times)

Zebulon

Questions with using Reason 4.0
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:55:18 PM »

Hello everybody,

I thought I already asked this, but I don't see it, so I guess in my haste I forgot to hit post! I got my first Zendrum a little
while back- it is a green ZX with the new circuit board. So far I haven't been able to play it as much as I would like, due to being
busy and needing to find a decent setup to play it through. I finally got Reason 4.0 on my computer, and I have been
playing my Zendrum through that.

However, it seems that the velocity for each hit is being determined by Reason instead of the Zendrum. Therefore the dynamic
level stays constant unless I change individual settings on Reason. This makes it much more difficult to play expressively of course.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, every once in a while it seems like one or two pads will stop transmitting, and the only way I have figured out to hear them
again is to restart the Zendrum. Does anyone else have this problem or know what I am doing wrong? It would be quite a problem
if this was to happen to my bass drum pad in the middle of a show! Of course, that assumes that I get good enough to play live...

Thanks a lot,

Zeb

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Questions with using Reason 4.0
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 03:03:24 AM »

ZEN-bulon (LOL),

I have never used Reason, but my guess is, there will be a setting where you choose how much the incoming velocity will affect the output volume (called vel to vol, or vel<vol, something like that), and generally you'll set it by percentage.  Nearly every softsynth I have used has a parameter like that, and they are generally defaulted at 0, which would yield the results you describe.

Jer

Zebulon

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick perfectly. I found a knob called Volume Velocity Amount that seems to fit with what
you said. I see I have a nickname as a zendrummer now too, now I'm really making progress!

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:01:07 PM »

Zenbulon,

Glad to be of service.  Anything I can do to lessen that learning curve... because I appreciate it when someone else around here helps me with mine!

Jer

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

Could somebody answer a question?  Will we be able to with the new upgrade have one or more software programs open at the same time on the same computer with different midi channels set for each and be able to play all at once?  i have not used software much and own BFD2 and Battery 3. Would I need a host?  I think what I would like as my ultimate setup would be to program as life like drums as I could  and then have  special effect sounds and/or percussion on the same setup. Thanks for your response Thumper
Thumper

nZenEar

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »

Thumper,

With the channel per trigger functionality you will be able to trigger output in any MIDI channel per trigger with the Z4.  SO YES as long as your MIDI output is physically routed to all sound devices you will be able to do as you've described.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »

Thumper,

I just went through this same thing myself... you'll definitely need a host.

The reason is, there's a lot of computing going on concerning the audio stream.  A host puts all of the audio data into one stream, but if you DON'T have a host, every app you instantiate sends its own audio stream.  You'll get crazy cracks, pops, and strange things going bump on the night.

I was running BFD2 in standalone mode just fine with no issues whatsoever, but then tried running BFD2 and Kompakt without a host, and hell broke loose.

For hosting, I will highly recommend Ableton Live... that's what my 6 weeks of research culminated in, and I love it.

Jer
Pages: [1]   Go Up