Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: worth it?  (Read 1879 times)

Kaco

worth it?
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:09:39 PM »

I saw someone at disneys animal kingdom playing it so i spent like 7hours finding out the name of it and i was very dissapointed when i saw the price, i just want to know if its worth it, i want to be able to play ANY instrument with it like i can with my MI-DI keyboard, i was also wondering if i can hook it up to just a computer as well as an amp, and is there any modulation and pitchblend switches on it? can you customize which button plays which sound/note. is it fragile and made of crappy materials like plastic etc, and of course last but not least is it overal worth the 1500?

THUMPER

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
Re: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »

Many of us on the forum will say yes it is more than worth it to us. It is well made, great customer service, and there is  wealth of information and help on the forum, however many of us are drummers and percussionist's and it is great for what we want it to do.  It can be used for melodic playing,  but from what you are asking it may not be the best choice for you. Thumper
Thumper

Kaco

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:59:36 PM »

can i at least play melodic instuments with it at all or would it not even work?

timecutter

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »

Zendrums are very solid, pro-grade, beautiful instruments made out of wood - they are not fragile. The Zendrum does not have modulation & pitchbend controls - just the pads that send MIDI note on/note off msgs.  Since it sends MIDI notes, it can trigger anything that can be triggered by MIDI note on/note off msgs.  Yes, you can hook it up to a computer (running appropriate software), and send audio output from the computer to an amp.  So Yes, you can play melodic instruments (I've played glockenspiel, tubular bells, marimba, steel drums, and other pitched percussion on it).  You probably would not find it satisfactory for triggering samples for which you would want variable note durations (e.g., time between note on and note off).  Keyboard is the ticket for that. 

Good luck.

Geosphere

• Administrator
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • Too Hip For The Room
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:53:16 AM »

I have 3...
Play nice.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:49:08 AM »

Kaco,

Here's one concept that may help you decide.

You bet, Zendrums are expensive.  No doubt.  But when you actually talk to the guy who INVENTED it during the ordering process, and decide on what wood you want to use (and I mean that very literally: last time I had a Zendrum made, I decided on Flame Maple... so David took pictures of a dozen pieces of wood and I actually picked THE piece I wanted), and an instrument is made with YOUR name on it, it becomes an heirloom rather than something off the shelf.  I have many, many instruments in my studio, some of which I really like and use often... but my 2 Zendrums are MINE and are part of my musical "family."  That feeling is worth a lot of cash, let me tell you! 

Further evidence: I sold one of my older Zendrums a year ago (I had 2 ZXs and I decided to sell one to get an LT instead).  For some reason the guy I sold it to resold it a few months later, and the new owner sent me a message about it.  The message was titled "I found one of your kids!"

Bottom line is, you can buy a "Brand R" controller off-the shelf for less $$$ than a Zendrum.  But it's plastic, and there are a zillion others out there just like it.  Or, you can get one handmade for YOU.  Worth it?  You bet.

Jer

jeff sanders

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:31:43 PM »

most of the non opinion answers can be found from the home page menu such as building materials available. what does lifetime warranty mean to you? try searching you area for a zendrum owner and if things go well maybe you can demo one. be warned if you touch even one trigger youll be sold, at least thats what sealed my deal.
good shopping
Pages: [1]   Go Up