Zendrum Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BFD2 + what?  (Read 931 times)

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
BFD2 + what?
« on: June 23, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »

My goal for the Zendrum is to have drum set + world percussion. 

I have BFD2 with a percussion pack.  Can BFD2 play other people's samples?

I want something that offers more bang for the buck to add, something with a LOT decent sounds.  What do you recommend?

Right now I'm using BFD stand alone on a Mac.  What are my options if I want to also use a sample player?

thanks,
~Jay

timecutter

Re: BFD2 + what?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:22 PM »

Check out Battery 3 from Native Instruments.  Battery 3 is a percussion oriented sampler.  Comes with a large sample set that includes some world percussion. The library is heavy on the electro/techno/industrial stuff - but there is lots of good stuff there.  I've been using some of the Taiko, Djun Djun, gongs, and other good stuff.  Battery has many good features, including some built in effects and routing.  Can run standalone or as VST/AU.    In a setup I use (loaded into Ableton Live or Receptor) I have sets from both Battery 3 and BFD (1.5) - and the Battery set winds up being my go-to acoustic set.    Battery 3 is coming up on an update - I hope NI keeps it going. 

Mark

HostileReality

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »

Have a look at Quantum Leap Stormdrum. Also SD2 by the same people. They both have lots of nice world percussion multisamples. RA is another virtual instrument by the same people, which has a mix of world percussion and instruments. I don't use battery so i can't comment on that.

Zendrumdude

• Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »

Jay,

BFD2 has a sampling option in it, which I have not yet used.  But I would imagine that with some tweakage, you'd be able to play others' samples.  It might boil down to having to re-record them with BFD's sampler rather than drag-&-drop, but you'll get there one way or another.

Sometime soon I plan on sampling a couple drums and cymbals myself, and when I do, I will post some comments.  I used to do this WAY back in the day, when the DM-Pro was the hot module (maybe 8 years ago or so).  I had sampled my Tama Starclassic Maples and some Zildjian Ks, in 4 velocity levels each.  It was pretty minimal, but it SMOKED the stock sounds, for sure!

Jer

john emrich

• Tribal Wizard
  • Tribal Leader
    • View Profile
    • john emrich
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »

You can import sounds into BFD2 as .wav files.  It is easy to add those files and then you can use the mixing power of the program.
John Emrich
Drums, Percussion, Producer, Sound designer

Jay M

• Tribal Pledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

Based on what John said about BFD2 being able to use .wav samples, what is the best sample CD to use?  Do any of the above recommendations fit into that category?

~Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up